Shadow Hills, Los Angeles
|Neighborhood of Los Angeles|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
Shadow Hills is a semi-rural neighborhood in northern Los Angeles, California, USA.
Shadow Hills is north of the independent city of Burbank near the westernmost portion of the Tujunga Valley, a part of the larger San Fernando Valley which begins just southeast of the Hansen Dam reservoir.
Shadow Hills is an acceptable city name for ZIP Code 91040. Sunland is the default city name assigned to ZIP Code 91040.
As of the 2000 census, Shadow Hills has a population of 3,739 people. The racial breakdown includes 79% Caucasian, 14% Latino, 3% Asian American, and 1% African American.
Shadow Hills falls within Census Tract 103300.
Shadow Hills is part of the city of Los Angeles and is represented by:
- Los Angeles City Council: District 7, Felipe Funets
- Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors: District 5, Michael D. Antonovich
- California State Senate: District 25, Carol Liu
- California State Assembly: District 39, Patty Lopez
- United States House of Representatives: District 28, Adam Schiff
- Los Angeles Fire Department Station 24 (Sunland/Shadow Hills) is in the area.
- Los Angeles Fire Department Station 77 (Sun Valley/Shadow Hills/La Tuna Canyon) is in the area.
- Shadow Hills is served by the Los Angeles Police Department Foothill Community Police Station.
Los Angeles Unified School District serves Shadow Hills.
The neighborhood's residents formed the Shadow Hills Property Owners Association in the mid-1960s to fight the planned routing of a Foothill Freeway offramp through the heart of the neighborhood. This would have run along McBroom Street and two segments of Wheatland Avenue, from Wentworth Avenue to Sunland Boulevard. This grassroots organization persuaded the Los Angeles Planning Commission to abandon the proposed route for the offramp, and so preserved the neighborhood's semi-rural character. The Association continues to function today with a slightly different name.[clarification needed]
- "Shadow Hills" entry on the Los Angeles Times "Mapping L.A." website
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "California's 28th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2009)|
- "Community Descriptions, Los Angeles City Council District Two" (PDF). Office of Councilmember Wendy Greuel. Retrieved 2007-03-18.
- "ZIP Code Lookup tool". United States Postal Service. Retrieved 2007-03-18.
- "City of Los Angeles Population by Community & Race". Los Angeles Almanac. Retrieved 2007-03-18.
- Shadow Hills Property Owners Association
- Sunland-Tujunga Chamber of Commerce
- Sun Valley Area Chamber of Commerce
- Sunland-Tujunga Neighborhood Council