Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College
|Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College|
|শহীদ সোহরাওয়ার্দী মেডিকেল কলেজ|
|Begum Khaleda Zia Medical College (BKZMC)|
|Established||May 6, 2006|
|Type||Government medical college|
|Principal||Prof. Dr. A.B.M. Maqsoodul Alam|
|Campus||Sher-e-Bangla Nagor, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh|
Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College (ShSMC)is the 14th government medical college (3rd among ranking after DMC), situated at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka, Bangladesh. It's also the first ever government medical college in New Dhaka.Just after its inception this medical college gained enough fame due to the brilliant results of students from this medical college on the Professional exams.As a result, despite of being a relatively new medical college in Bangladesh, this institution has gained the status of one of the best and most deemed medical college of the country. The government set up the college to spread medical knowledge and to make more efficient doctors for the country. This medical college is surrounded by many other specialized hospitals; such as, the National Centre for Control of Rheumatic Fever and Heart Diseases (NCCRFHD), National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD), National Institute of Kidney Diseases & Urology (NIKDU), National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), National Institute of Traumatology & Orthopaedic Rehabilitation (NITOR), National Institute of Ophthalmology (NIO), National institute of Neuroscience (NINS) etc. This medical college has been included in the Avicenna Directory of Medical Schools and International Medical Education Directory(IMED).
- 1 History
- 2 Principals
- 3 Examination and affiliation
- 4 Departments
- 5 Student Political Organization
- 6 Clubs
- 7 Extracurricular activities
- 8 Achievement
- 9 Hostel
- 10 Admission process
- 11 Gallery
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
After a long period of consideration, the government decided on 5 September 2005 to make the Shaheed Suhrawardy Hospital into a medical college. Educational activities in the college began on the 6th May, 2006. In the inauguration ceremony the then health minister, Khandakar Mosharof Hossain started the educational activities officially. Originally, the medical college was known as Begum Khaleda Zia Medical College and begun its journey with 100 students.
However, on the 1st June, 2009, the name of the medical college was changed to Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College. Now it has more than 900 students in its 6 batches.
- 1st principal: Prof. Dr. A.K.M. Azizul Huq (2006-2008)
- 2nd Principal: Prof. Dr. Abdul Kader Khan (2008-2009)
- Present Principal: Prof. Dr. ABM Muksudul Alam (2009–Present)
Examination and affiliation
Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College is affiliated with the University of Dhaka. The students receive MBBS degree from the University of Dhaka after completion of 5th year of study and passing the final Professional MBBS examination. The students receive BDS degree from the University of Dhaka after completion of 4th year of study and passing the final Professional BDS examination-that is initiated from 2012.
This college is directly governed by Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council BMDC - an affiliate of Ministry of Health.
The Professional examinations are held under the University and results are given thereby. Internal Examinations are also taken on regular interval namely Card completions, Terms end and regular assessments.
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Forensic Medicine
- Department of Community Medicine
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Cardiology
- Department of Skin & V.D.
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of E.N.T.
- Department of Orthopedics & Traumatology
- Department of Neuromedicine
- Department of Physical Medicine
- Department of Plastic Surgery
- Department of Neurosurgery
- Department of Radiology & Imaging
- Department of Clinical Immunology
- Department of Gastroenterology
- Department of Anaesthesiology
- Department of Pediatrics Surgery
- Department of Oral & Maxilofacilal Surgery
- Department of Dentistry
- Department of Psychiatry
Student Political Organization
- Bangladesh Islami Chhatrashibir, Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College
- Bangladesh Student League, Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College
- Sandhani, Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Unit
- Medicine Club, Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Unit
- Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Debating Club
- de beats
- Somaz Sheba Protishthan (Bengali: সমাজ সেবা প্রতিস্ঠান), helping poor patients who can not afford themselves.
Each and every year the students celebrate the national days by performing cultural programme. Also the students celebrate the Iftar Party, Swarasti Puja, Pahela Baisakh, Indoor Games Competition in the college campus. The New Hostel building is provided with modern indoor sports facilities for the upcoming new generation doctors of this very medical college.
The college has arranged cultural and sports week for the 2nd time in 2014 and is committed to continue every year.
After being established as a newest member in medical colleges of Bangladesh Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College has achieved internal glory in the arena of research both in postgraduate and undergraduate research and conferences. Students have attended European Students conference in 2011, 2012, 2013 as research presenters, workshop participants and ambassador, the AIMS, Lisbon, Portugal in 2012, 2013 as research presenters and ambassador, LIMSC, Netherlands, 2011, 2012 as research presenters, workshop participants and ambassador, KARMIC, India 2012, 2013, research presenter, workshop participant and ambassador. Konference, Kolkata-2012 as workshop participant, research presenter and ambassador and achieved awards and kept the pride and honor of the medical college.
The students celebrate their 30 days, 100 days, year ending, and batch programs on campus.
- Awarded "Best Medical College" by NDF (National Debate Federation) festival, 2008 and 2012, 2013
- Has been included in the Avicenna Directory of Medical Schools (Formerly WHO directory) in May, 2010.
There are separate hostels for boys and girls. Both the hostels were established and opened in June, 2008. Both of the hostels are six storied & have catering services, Hall rooms, bathrooms and lavatory facilities.Canteen facilities are available with delicious food items.
Admission test is held under the Ministry of Health for admission in all the government medical colleges. Students selected in the test are admitted here on the basis of their choice.
- http://banglapedia.search.com.bd/HT/S_0267.htm Banglapedia
- http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/publish/article_27661.shtml The Daily New Nation Online Edition