Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
|Shahjalal University of Science and Technology|
|শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Established||25 August 1986|
|Chancellor||Hon'ble President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Md. Aminul Haque Bhuyan|
(main campus 532)
(affiliated campus 936)
(main campus 10,014)
(affiliated campus 5,300)
|Location||Kumargaon, Sylhet, Bangladesh|
320 acres (130 ha) (Main campus)
173 acres (70 ha) (Affiliated campus)
|Athletics||12 varsity teams|
|Affiliations||Association of Commonwealth Universities
International Association of Universities
Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World
University Grants Commission
World Health Organisation
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (Bengali: শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) also known as SUST is a state supported not-for-profit research university located in Sylhet, Bangladesh. It is also one of the nine PhD granting research universities of Bangladesh.
The university was founded by the Government of Bangladesh according to a university act in 1986 to give special importance in science and technology education. It is the first specialized science & technology university of the country. After SUST, seven more science and technology universities have been established in Bangladesh.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Schools and departments
- 3.1 School of Agriculture and Mineral Sciences
- 3.2 School of Applied Sciences & Technology
- 3.3 School of Life Sciences
- 3.4 School of Law
- 3.5 School of Management and Business Administration
- 3.6 School of Medical Sciences
- 3.7 School of Physical Sciences
- 3.8 School of Social Sciences
- 3.9 Affiliated college
- 4 Institutes
- 5 Life at SUST
- 6 Student organisations
- 7 Notable Alumni
- 8 Contact
- 9 Notable faculty
- 10 See also
- 11 Notes and references
- 12 External links
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology was established in 1986. The campus is located in Kumargaon, approximately five kilometers away from the heart of Sylhet City Centre. The university started its academic programme with three departments: physics, chemistry and economics. The first convocation of SUST was held on 29 April 1998 and the second convocation held on 6 December 2007.
SUST is the first university in Bangladesh providing whole campus free Wi-fi access for students & staffs. The university introduced an integrated honors course for the first time in Bangladesh and it introduced the semester system (American credit system) from the 1996-97 session. According to the masterplan for the university, within a few years Shahjalal University of Science and Technology will be one of the finest institutions of the region.
The university students invented and introduced the paperless 24/7 SMS Based Automated Registration of Admission Test procedure for the first time in Bangladesh. Interested students can complete the registration process through mobile phone messages. The contemporary government launched the system on 13 September 2009. For the invention, the University won an Ambillion Award in a competition of South Asian countries in 2010 and National Award for E-Content and ICT for Development Award 2010. Now, most of the public universities in Bangladesh have adopted this process of registration.
SUST enrolls undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students. Students who want to get admission into SUST need to pass the admission test which is highly competitive. Admission tests are arranged by the specific schools under the authority of admission council. In 2012-2013 session undergraduate admission test 40,881 candidates competed against of 1,385 seats. The acceptance rate of SUST is 3.39%.
The academic year consists of two semesters. Academic courses are based on credit system. The grading system:
|Class Interval||Letter Grade||Grade Point|
Student scores overall CGPA above 3.75 is awarded distinction.
Every year SUST arranges International Conference on Engineering Research, Innovation and Education (CERIE). In ICERIE more than hundred universities attended from different parts of the world and presents research papers in the field of Architecture, Chemical Engineering and Polymer Science, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Industrial and Production Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Petroleum and Geo-resources Engineering, Food Engineering and Tea Technology.
Major conferences hosted every year by SUST:
- International Conference on Engineering Research, Innovation and Education (ICERIE)
- International Conference on Advance Physics (ICAP)
- International Conference on Environmental Technology and Construction Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICETCESD)
In the year 1999, SUST hosted the 3rd International Conference on Computer and Information Technology. Despite these, the academic departments host numerous conferences on respective fields regularly.
Every year SUST arranges three days CSE Carnival. The carnival offers Inter University Programming Contest, Software Exposition, Job Fair, Seminar and Gaming Contest. Every year more than hundred universities participate in the carnival.
SUST has academic collaboration with following institutes:
- Karlsruhe University, Germany
- University of Calabria, Italy
- Fachhochschule, Germany
- Saint Mary's University (Halifax), Canada
- Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Finland
- Lund University, Sweden
- Heidelberg University, Germany
- Assam University, India
- Staffordshire University, UK
- Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Jiangsu University, China
- Institute on Membrane Technology, Italy
- University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Bilkent University, Turkey
- United Nations Development Programme
Schools and departments
SUST has 26 departments under 7 schools. According to the master plan it will have 8 schools with a number of departments. By following the master plan of the university, one more school and some departments are under consideration. The schools are:
School of Agriculture and Mineral Sciences
- Department of Forestry and Environmental Science
School of Applied Sciences & Technology
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Chemical Engineering and Polymer Science
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Food Engineering & Tea Technology
- Department of Industrial and Production Engineering
- Department of IT & Software Engineering (under consideration)
- Department of Materials Science & Design Engineering (under consideration)
- Department of Petroleum & Mining Engineering
School of Life Sciences
- Department of Bio-Chemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
School of Law
- Department of Law (under consideration)
School of Management and Business Administration
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Business & ICT (under consideration)
School of Medical Sciences
School of Physical Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Geography and Environment
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics
School of Social Sciences
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Bengali
- Department of Economics
- Department of English
- Department of Political science|Political Studies
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Social work
- Department of Sociology
The university has eight affiliated colleges:
- Sylhet Engineering College
- M.A.G. Osmani Medical College, Sylhet
- Jalalabad Ragib-Rabeya Medical College
- North East Medical College
- Sylhet Women's Medical College
- Durre Samad Rahman Women's Red Crescent Medical College
- Sylhet Nursing College
- North East Nursing College
The research institutes of SUST are:
PGD In IT
Institute of Information and Communication Technology
Department of Architecture Center for Research, Testing, and Consultancy (CRTC Architecture) focuses on research areas such as building planning and design, interior design, landscape development, urban planning and urban renewal, conservation of historical sites and monuments, architecture of Bengal region, sustainable design, low cost housing etc. according to regional context. The center has been widely working with the traditional house forms, settlement pattern, urban growth and architectural development of the region. Recently it has undertaken a housing project adjacent to Sylhet-Sunamganj highway that is nearly completed. The housing project offers a sustainable community environment through contemporary architectural design.
The CRTC program, Department of Computer Science & Engineering focuses on research areas such as Optical Character Recognition, Parallel Processing, Cluster Computer, CodeWitz, Asia Link Project, Cellular Phone & Computer Interfacing, Bangla Computerization, Natural Language Processing etc. The software house offers professional working environment to the students.
Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) department established the centre for research, testing and consultancy (CRTC) to provide research, testing and consultancy services in 2003. CRTC designed water treatment plant to remove high concentration of iron (>11 mg/lit) in ground water of Sylhet region, such a plant has been successfully operating in Hotels in Sylhet city. CTRC already planned and designed the structural and drainage systems of the Madina Garden City near Sylhet International Airport including EIA and recently has been working for Gazi Burhan Uddin Model City near Sylhet upashahar. CRTC has been performing all kind of testing in the field of water, waste water, cement, concrete, rod beam, soil, air, noise etc. since 2003.
The CRTC program, Department of Physics has numbers of research groups have research activities in areas of Theoretical and Experimental Nuclear Physics, Nonlinear Optics, Thin film Magnetism, Neutron Scattering, Neutron Activation Analysis, Neutron Radiography, Defects in Solids, Semiconductor Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Gravitational Physics and Celestial Mechanics and Theoretical Physics.
Life at SUST
SUST has a campus area of 320 acres which is famous for its natural beauty. Many visitors come to Sylhet visit the "Shahid Minar" (Martyr's Memorial) of the university. The memorial stands on the top of a small hill and is surrounded by trees. Different cultural organizations arrange programs on the premises on local and national occasions.
SUST has high reputation for non-violent student movements. It is also a university without any session jam. The first ever Bangladesh Mathematics Olympiad was held in Shahjalal University of Science and Technology in 2004. Prominent teachers/lecturers there include the Bangladeshi writer and scientist, Muhammed Zafar Iqbal, who is a professor of Computer Science and Engineering as well as the head of the department.
SUST has an extensive core curriculum required of all undergraduates. SUST is the first university in Bangladesh to adopt American course credit systems for all departments. The syllabus are always updated frequently to maintain the global standard of education.
SUST has a common Central Library with a collection of 180,000 volumes and 300 current periodical subscriptions for all academic departments. The library includes electronic copies of books, which can be accessed from any academic department through electronic local area networking(LAN). Per year around 2000 volumes are added in this library. The library building of SUST is famous for its attractive triangular shape. It has also a free internet browsing facility and rental library program. Additionally, there are also departmental library in each academic department and hall library in each residential halls. Library has an Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) and its URL is http://library.sust.edu
SUST also welcomes foreign students. There is a significant number of international students, especially from Nepal. There are also some students in its affiliated medical college from Indian Kashmir. Every year SUST receives applications from abroad. Most international students come from Nepal, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan, Japan, Afghanistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Palestine, China, Myanmar etc.
Halls of Residence
Currently there are 5 halls of residence. A significant number of students reside privately near the university area of Sylhet metro.
- Halls of Residence
- Shah Paran Hall
- 2nd Male Students' Hall
- Syed Mujtaba Ali Hall
- 1st Ladies Hall
- Begum Sirajunnesa Chowdhury Hall
There are also well decorated houses for the faculty members of SUST. University authority is also running some private halls of residence outside the main campus especially for female students to confirm cent percent guaranteed housing for female students. These Halls are:
- Amir Complex
- Fazal Complex
- Masum Villa
- Samad House
- Maa Manjil
- Sunu Mia Complex
The students of this university participate in sports for recreation and the finest athletes regularly compete in inter-university games like football, handball, volleyball, basketball etc. SUST has some varsity teams. There is a Cricket ground, a Football ground, a Basketball ground and well equipped gymnasium adjacent to the university student health center. SUST is the only university to have Professional Cricket League and Professional Football League. Students organize both inter-department and inter-university tournaments for popular games every year. Girls and teachers also participate in several games.
SUST has a university school of secondary level inside the campus for the children of staffs. The school also receives general students.
Photos of SUST
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shahjalal University of Science and Technolog.|
- Shahjalal University Debating Society (SUDS) (established in 1992)
- Ongikar Shangskritik Songsad (established in 1993)
- Tourist Club SUST (established in 1995)
- Shikorh (established in 1995)
- Shahjalal University Photographers' Association (SUPA) (established in 1996)
- Chokh Film Society (CFS) (established in 1996)
- Rokon Ifthekhar Memorial(RIM) (established in 1997)
- Theater SUST (established in 1997)
- Maavoi Abrittee Samsod (established in 1998)
- Dik Theater (established in 1999)
- NONGAR (established in 2003)
- KIN (established in 2003)
- SUST Science Arena (established in 2004)
- Sports SUST (established in 2005)
- Quantum Foundation: SUST Cell (established in 2005)
- SUST Writers Club (established in 2005)
- Shah Jalal University Speakers Club(SUSC) (established in 2005)
- Swapnotthan (established in 2007)
- Cartoon Factory (established in 2007)
- Sonchalon (established in 2008)
- Aaj Muktomoncho (established in 2008)
- Kaizen SUST (established in 2011)
- SUST CAREER CLUB (SUSTCC) (established in 2012)
- Green Explore Society (GES) (established in 2012)
- Copernicus Astronomical Memorial of SUST (CAM SUST) (established in 2012)
- UNYSAB SUST wing (established in 2012)
- Aniket Sangskritik Songho
- Anti Smoking And Anti Narcotic Organization
- Bangladesh National Cadet Corps, SUST
- Bangladesh Red Crescent Society
- Career Design Center
- Education Watch
- Monthly Protidhoni
- Nirapod Shorok Chai
- Promising Youth
- Student Aid SUST
- Amit Bikram Deb; Postdoctoral fellow at Otago University, New Zealand
- Maruf Maniruzzaman; Software Engineer at Microsoft
- Rezaul Chowdhury; Faculty at United Arab Emirates University, Former Scientist at CSIRO, Former Research Fellow at University of South Australia
- Muhammad J. A. Shiddiky; ARC DECRA Fellow at Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology Kumargaon, Sylhet-3114, Bangladesh Phone: PABX : 880-821-713491, 714479, 713850, 717850, 716123, 715393 FAX : 880-821-715257, 725050
- Muhammad Zafar Iqbal, Professor,Department of Computer Science & Engineering and Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Dr. Muhammad Younus, Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Dr. M Habibul Ahsan, Professor, Department of Physics
- Dr. Mohammad Aktarul Islam Chowdhury, Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Dr. Md. Abul Kalam Azad, Associate Professor and Head, Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Dr. Abdul Awwal Biswas, Professor, Department of Anthropology
- Tahmina Islam, Associate Professor,,Department of Social Work, 
Notes and references
- "BANGLAPEDIA: Shahjalal University of Science and Technology". Web.archive.org. 2007-06-14. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- About Shahjalal University of Science and Technology[dead link]
- ~::Convocation 2007, Shah Jalal University of Science & Technology, Sylhet::~[dead link]
- "::: Star Weekend Magazine :::". Thedailystar.net. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Shahjalal University of Science and Technology- master plan". Sust.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- BSS Report 13 September 2009 .::[dead link]
- Username *. "Priyo news". Priyo.com. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- National Web Portal of Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Today report by bd64
- "Paperless Admission System of Shahjalal University of Science & Technology(SUST)". Eaward.org.bd. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Winners 2010". Eaward.org.bd. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Shahjalal University of Science and Technology | SASNET - Swedish South Asian Studies Network". SASNET. 2005-12-06. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "ACM ICPC Dhaka Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "ICPC : Teams advancing 37th Annual World Finals of the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest". Icpc.baylor.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Institute of Information and Communication Technology | Shahjalal University of Science & Technology". Sust.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Department of Computer Science & Engineering | Shahjalal University of Science & Technology". Sust.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Department of Physics | Shahjalal University of Science & Technology". Sust.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "::..::Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad::..::". Matholympiad.org.bd. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Computer Science & Engineering, SUST :: CSE Faculty". Sust.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology.|