Shaikhs in South Asia
|Regions with significant populations|
|• Pakistan • India • Bangladesh|
|• Bengali • Punjabi • Sindhi • Urdu• Kashmiri • Gujarati•|
|• Islam 100% •|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Shaikh of Gujarat • Shaikh of Rajasthan • Shaikh of Biharmanihar milki qidwai|
Sheikh, also rendered as Sheik, Shaykh, Shaikh, Shekh, Cheikh, Šeih, Šejh, Şeyh and other variants (Arabic: شيخ, shaykh; pl. شيوخ shuyūkh), is a word or honorific term in the Arabic language that literally means "elder." It is commonly used to designate an elder of a tribe, a revered wise man, or an Islamic scholar. Although the title generally refers to a male, a very small number of female sheikhs have also existed in history.
However, majority of the Shaikhs are of local origins. They are largely converts from upper Hindu castes, such as Brahmins, Rajputs and Khatris. Many locals of agricultural and tradesmen castes also attained the affiliation of Shaikh. Sufi and other migrants from the Middle East and Central Asia too attained the title 'Shaikh'.
Foreign Muslim origin
Genetically, significant foreign element has been detected. But the foreign genes are still minor. There is very minute and negligible genetic inflow directly from the Arabian peninsula. Most of the foreign genes come from Turkic and Iranian peoples, not the Arabs.
The subdivisions of the Shaikh include:
- Shaikh Ismaili, members of the Ismaili Muslim Sect.
- Shaikh Quraishi, members of the Banu Quraish tribe. The Prophet Muhammad belonged to this tribe.
- Shaikh Hashemi, members of the Banu Hashim clan of the Banu Quraish tribe. The Prophet Muhammad belonged to this clan.
- Shaikh Siddiqui, descendants of Hazrat Abu Bakr, the first Khalifa of Islam.
- Shaikh Farooqi, descendants of Hazrat Umar Farooq, the second Khalifa of Islam.
- Shaikh Usmani (Osmani), descendents of Hazrat Usman the third Khalifa of Islam
- Shaikh Kidwai, descendants of Qazi Moizuddin Qidwa, son of Merak Shah of Rum
- Shaikh Kashmiri Converts to Islam from Kashmiri Pundit Community
- Shaikh Iraqi, descendants of Iraqi Arabs.
- Najam Sethi, Pakistani diplomat.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Indian actor.
- Emraan Hashmi, Indian actor.
- Maria Memon, Pakistani news reader.
- Huma Qureshi, Indian actress.
- Shakeel Siddiqui, Pakistani comedian, stage artist and performer.
- Farooq Sheikh, Indian actor, television presenter and philanthropist.
- Shaikh Ayaz, Sindhi poet of Pakistan.
- Sana Shaikh, Indian film and television actress.
- Sanea Sheikh, Indian model.
- Shehzaad Shaikh, Television actor. Qubool hai, Sony T.V.
The Shaikhs of South Asia are found within all the major Muslim ethnic groups in the region, for example there are Punjabi Shaikhs found within the Punjabi ethnic groups, and Sindhi Shaikhs are found within the Sindhi ethnic group, Gujarati Shaikh and Rajasthani Shaikh and so forth.
- Punjabi Shaikh
- Gujarati Shaikh
- Sindhi Shaikh
- Rajasthani Shaikh
- Khawaja Shaikh
- Qanungoh Shaikh
- Kashmiri Shaikh
- Khoja Sheikh
- Phaphra Sheikh
- Muslim Khatris
- Shaikh Farooqui
- People of India by Sir Herbert Risely