|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Founded||New York, New York, United States (2004 )|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, United States|
|Number of locations||34 (2013)|
Shake Shack is a restaurant chain serving hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, milkshakes, frozen custard and similar foods. The chain currently has 21 restaurants in the United States, nine of them in New York City. Additionally, there are currently 13 international locations.
The first Shake Shack, located in Madison Square Park, opened in July 2004. The restaurant was conceived and developed by Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group, which maintains restaurants in the Union Square area. The building in Madison Square Park was designed by Sculpture in the Environment, an architectural and environmental design firm based in Lower Manhattan.
Shake Shack was named "Best Burger 2005" by New York magazine. During the summer, the wait in line for service can stretch to over an hour, especially on weekends when the weather is pleasant. A webcam on the restaurant's web page shows the current line in real time. The Shack began selling wine in 2007.
Other New York City locations
In 2008, a Shake Shack was opened on the Upper West Side.
Citi Field, the home of the New York Mets baseball team in Queens, features a Shake Shack concession stand, which opened along with the ballpark in 2009. On top of the Citi Field Shake Shack sits the model of the New York City skyline that used to sit on top of the scoreboard at Shea Stadium.
In 2010, Shake Shack restaurants were opened in the Theater District and the Upper East Side. The Upper East Side location's opening was significant because it "lifted" East 86th Street, an urban shopping district which had fallen on hard times; the location had been vacant, and even when occupied it was described by a neighbor as "never anything good there ... dingy and dilapidated ... almost an eyesore."
In July 2011 it was announced that Shake Shack had reached a deal with the MTA to open a location in the lower level of Grand Central Terminal. This project was delayed because the tenant occupying the space Shake Shack was to take over, Mexican eatery Zócalo, refused to vacate after the expiration of their lease and filed suit in the Supreme Court of the State of New York arguing that the "bidding process (for retail space in Grand Central) is corrupted." The suit was dismissed and Zócalo appealed. In October 2012 Zócalo filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. In early May 2013 it was announced that Zócalo had vacated the space and Shake Shack had taken control of the location. The restaurant opened for business on October 5, 2013.
In March 2013 it was announced a Shake Shack would be part of the expansion of Terminal 4 at John F. Kennedy International Airport. There will be two locations in the terminal: the first opened May 24, 2013 near gate B34 while the second will open in Fall 2013. Both locations will feature breakfast items as well as items to-go. This will be the second airport location for Shake Shack after Dubai International Airport and the first located in the United States.
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014, it was confirmed that a new location in Midtown East would open in late 2014.  The 4,774 square foot space, located on Third Avenue between 39th and 40th Street, is to be one of the largest in the chain.
Outside of New York City
In 2010, Shake Shack opened its first restaurant outside of New York City in Miami Beach's South Beach neighborhood. Danny Meyer has stated his intention to expand the chain throughout Miami. A Coral Gables location opened on July 15, 2012 and a Boca Raton location opened April 22, 2013. A Shake Shack location at the Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York opened in July 2010. Shake Shack has expanded to Washington, D.C., opening its first location there in Dupont Circle in May 2011. On June 14, 2011, Shake Shack opened a concession stand at Nationals Park, home of the Washington Nationals baseball team. A Shake Shack in Westport, Connecticut also opened in 2011. A Philadelphia location opened in Center City in June 2012. A New Haven, Connecticut location near Yale University opened in September 2012. On November 10, 2012 a location was opened at The Gallery at Westbury Plaza in Westbury, NY on Long Island. On March 20, 2013 a location was opened in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Newton, Massachusetts, just outside Boston.
On June 25, 2013 a restaurant is opened adjacent to the International Spy Museum in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of Washington D.C. The company is said to be looking for a location in Georgetown.
A second location in Philadelphia opened on October 11, 2013 in the University City neighborhood on Drexel University campus near the University of Pennsylvania. 10 days later, a location in the King of Prussia Mall in suburban Philadelphia has also been announced opened.
A restaurant is planned to open on the Las Vegas Strip in early 2014.
In May 2013 it was confirmed that a location is opening at The Shops at North Bridge in Chicago, along the Magnificent Mile in late 2014. Also in May 2013 it was reported that two locations would open in the Ponce City Market in Atlanta in mid-2014.
A location in Winter Park, FL was announced on July 16, 2013. This location will be open in mid-2014, and will be a part of Orlando's first Trader Joe's anchored shopping center.
Outside of the United States
Shake Shack partnered with M.H. Alshaya to open its first international location at Mall of the Emirates in Dubai in April 2011. A Shake Shack opened at The Avenues mall in Kuwait City in July 2011 and an additional Kuwait City location opened in the Grand Avenue expansion of The Avenues mall in November 2012. On November 27, 2012 Shake Shack opened in Doha, Qatar in the Villagio Mall. On December 7, 2012 a location opened at the Dalma Mall in Abu Dhabi, UAE. On January 2, 2013 a location opened at the Dubai International Airport becoming the chain's first airport location. A third Kuwait location opened January 25, 2013 at the Al Fanar Mall in Salmiya. An additional Dubai location opened at The Dubai Mall on August 31, 2013. Alshaya opened Shake Shack in City Centre Beirut on September 14, 2013. Most recently a location was opened September 21, 2013 in the Mercato Shopping Mall situated in Jumeirah, Dubai bringing the total Middle East locations to 10.
On May 30, 2013 the first of two locations in Istanbul, Turkey opened in the Istinye Park Mall. The second location opened in the Tunel neighborhood on August 14, 2013. The Istanbul locations will be run by Shaya, the company that manages the locations in the Middle East.
In October 2013 it was announced that a Moscow location would be opening before the end of the year.
- "Best Burger". New York. May 21, 2005. Retrieved February 27, 2010.
- Collins, Glenn (March 24, 2009). "For Mets’ Fans, a Menu Beyond Peanuts and Cracker Jack". The New York Times. Retrieved March 24, 2009.
- Levin, Sam (July 12, 2010). "Burger lovers rejoice! Minichain Shake Shack opens in Times Square". Daily News (New York). Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Gregor, Alison (January 19, 2010). "Square Feet: New Tenant Lifts a Manhattan Street". The New York Times. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- Fabricant, Florence (August 4, 2010). "Diners Journal: Upper East Side Shake Shack Is Open". The New York Times. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Brooklyn Shake Shack Now Open, With Three Brooklyn-Only Concretes". Gothamist. December 21, 2011. Retrieved December 21, 2011.
- Haughney, Christine (July 25, 2011). "More Crowded Crowds: Grand Central to Welcome Apple and Shake Shack". The New York Times. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- Pasquarelli, Adrianne (2012-07-20). "Shake Shack gets sidetracked at Grand Central | Crain's New York Business". Crainsnewyork.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Pasquarelli, Adrianne (2012-10-26). "Grand Central tenant Zócalo files for bankruptcy | Crain's New York Business". Crainsnewyork.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Danny Meyer's Shake Shack finally takes over Grand Central space | Crain's New York Business". Crainsnewyork.com. 2013-05-08. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Gould, Jennifer (2013-01-21). "Danny Meyer joins top-flight tenant tasters of choice Upper West Side site". NYPOST.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Tuesday, February 12, 2013, by Greg Morabito (2013-02-12). "Shake Shack to Open Location Near Barclays Center - Shack Attack - Eater NY". Ny.eater.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Merwin, Hugh (2013-03-06). "A Look at JFK’s Incoming Shake Shack, Plus More Details on Terminal 4’s Food Plans - Grub Street New York". Newyork.grubstreet.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "JFK Airport, NYC". Shake Shack. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Tuesday, February 11, 2014, by Steve Cuozzo (2014-02-11). "Shake Shack to open East Midtown location this fall". New York Post. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Victoria Pesce Elliott. "3 Stars for Shake Shack". Shakeshack.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Coral Gables, FL". Shake Shack. 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Boca Raton, FL". Shake Shack. 2013-04-22. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Morrissey, Aaron (August 11, 2010). "Shake Shack To Enter The D.C. Burger Fray". DCist. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- "Nationals Unveil New Culinary Offerings from Union Square Hospitality Group at Miller Lite Scoreboard Walk on Tuesday, June 14" (Press release). Washington Nationals. June 13, 2011. Retrieved August 6, 2011.
- Inzitari, Vanessa. "Get Ready for Shake Shack, Westport!". The Westport Daily Voice. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Inzitari, Vanessa. "Fans Hungry for Shake Shack". The Westport Daily Voice. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- The accidental cult hero: Shake Shack opens in Philadelphia, by Michael Klein, Philly.com
- @ShakeShack Mar 2 (2012-09-13). "New Haven, CT". Shake Shack. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Westbury, NY". Shake Shack. 2012-11-10. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Shake Shack Opens On Route 9 In Chestnut Hill « CBS Boston". Boston.cbslocal.com. 2013-03-20. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "F Street, DC". Shake Shack. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Shake Shack eyes Georgetown, readies for Spy Museum - Washington Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. 2012-11-16. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "University City, PA". Shake Shack. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "King of Prussia, PA". Shake Shack. 2013-10-21. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/10/9/shake-shack-will-likely-open-in-december/ Shake Shack Will Likely Open in Harvard Square in December | The Harvard Crimson
- "Paramus lands first Shake Shack in Jersey". NorthJersey.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "MGM's park project set to bring new dining and drinking options to the Strip". Las Vegas Weekly. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Tuesday, May 7, 2013, by Sonia Chopra (2013-05-07). "Will Atlanta Get Not One but Two Shake Shacks? - Rumormongering - Eater Atlanta". Atlanta.eater.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Barda, Tabitha (2011-04-10). "Shake Shack now open at Mall of the Emirates". HotelierMiddleEast.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Shake Shack opening tonight.". 248am.com July 6, 2011.
- "Doha, Villaggio Mall". Shake Shack. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Abu Dhabi, Dalma Mall". Shake Shack. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Dubai International Airport". Shake Shack. 2013-01-02. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Salmiya, Al Fanar Mall". Shake Shack. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Alshaya finally opened a branch In Jeddah, Saudi Arabia in November 2013 Shake Shack - Beirut City Centre
- "Dubai, Mercato Mall". Shake Shack. 2013-09-21. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Hanly, Gavin. "Shake Shack London confirmed as coming to Covent Garden in 2013". Hot Dinners. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Istanbul, Tünel". Shake Shack. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Wednesday, February 6, 2013, by Raphael Brion (2013-02-06). "Shake Shack to Open in Istanbul, Turkey in Spring 2013 - Shack Attack - Eater National". Eater.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Beirut, Beirut City Centre". Shake Shack. 2013-09-14. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Thursday, October 3, 2013, by Hillary Dixler (2013-10-03). "Shake Shack Is Opening in Moscow This Winter - Shack Attack - Eater National". Eater.com. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Shake Shack - Official Page". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-02-08.