|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Founded||New York, New York, U.S. (2004 )|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Number of locations||25 (2013)|
|Key people||Danny Meyer, CEO|
Shake Shack is a restaurant chain serving hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, milkshakes, frozen custard and similar foods. The chain currently has eighteen restaurants in the United States, seven of them in New York City. Additionally, there are currently seven international locations.
Original location 
The first Shake Shack, located in Madison Square Park, opened in July 2004. The restaurant was conceived and developed by Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group, which maintains restaurants in the Union Square area. The building in Madison Square Park was designed by Sculpture in the Environment, an architectural and environmental design firm based in Lower Manhattan.
Shake Shack was named "Best Burger 2005" by New York magazine. During the summer, the wait in line for service can stretch to over an hour, especially on weekends when the weather is pleasant. A webcam on the restaurant's web page shows the current line in real time. The Shack began selling wine in 2007.
Other New York City locations 
In 2008, a Shake Shack was opened on the Upper West Side.
Citi Field, the home of the New York Mets baseball team in Queens, features a Shake Shack concession stand, which opened along with the ballpark in 2009. On top of the Citi Field Shake Shack sits the model of the New York City skyline that used to sit on top of the scoreboard at Shea Stadium.
In 2010, Shake Shack restaurants were opened in the Theater District and the Upper East Side. The Upper East Side location's opening was significant because it "lifted" East 86th Street, an urban shopping district which had fallen on hard times; the location had been vacant, and even when occupied it was described by a neighbor as "never anything good there ... dingy and dilapidated ... almost an eyesore."
In July 2011 it was announced that Shake Shack had reached a deal with the MTA to open a location in the lower level of Grand Central Terminal. This project was delayed because the tenant occupying the space Shake Shack was to take over, Mexican eatery Zócalo, refused to vacate after the expiration of their lease and filed suit in the Supreme Court of the State of New York arguing that the ""bidding process [for retail space in Grand Central] is corrupted." The suit was dismissed and Zócalo appealed. In October 2012 Zócalo filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. In early May 2013 it was announced that Zócalo had vacated the space and Shake Shack had taken control of the location. The restaurant is expected to open later in 2013.
In March 2013 it was announced a Shake Shack would be part of the expansion of Terminal 4 at John F. Kennedy International Airport. There will be two locations in the terminal: the first will open May 24, 2013 near gate B34 while the second will open in August. Both locations will feature breakfast items as well as items to-go. This will be the second airport location for Shake Shack after Dubai International Airport and the first located in the United States.
Outside of New York City 
In 2010, Shake Shack opened its first restaurant outside of New York City in Miami Beach's South Beach neighborhood. Danny Meyer has stated his intention to expand the chain throughout Miami. A Coral Gables location opened on July 15, 2012 and a Boca Raton location opened April 22, 2013. A Shake Shack location at the Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York opened in July 2010. Shake Shack has expanded to Washington, D.C., opening its first location there in Dupont Circle in May 2011. On June 14, 2011, Shake Shack opened a concession stand at Nationals Park, home of the Washington Nationals baseball team. A Shake Shack in Westport, Connecticut also opened in 2011. A Philadelphia location opened in Center City in June 2012. A New Haven, Connecticut location near Yale University opened in September 2012. On November 10, 2012 a location was opened at The Gallery at Westbury Plaza in Westbury, NY on Long Island. On March 20, 2013 a location was opened in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Newton, Massachusetts, just outside Boston.
A second location in Philadelphia is planned in the University City neighborhood near Drexel University and the University of Pennsylvania in the summer of 2013. A location in the King of Prussia Mall in suburban Philadelphia has also been announced.
A restaurant is planned to open on the Las Vegas Strip in early 2014.
In May 2013 it was confirmed that a location is opening at The Shops at North Bridge in Chicago, along the Magnificent Mile in late 2014. Also in May 2013 it was reported that two locations would open in the Ponce City Market in Atlanta in mid-2014.
Outside of the United States 
Shake Shack partnered with M.H. Alshaya to open its first international location at Mall of the Emirates in Dubai in April 2011. A Shake Shack opened at The Avenues mall in Kuwait City in July 2011 and an additional Kuwait City location opened in the Grand Avenue expansion of The Avenues mall in November 2012. On November 27, 2012 Shake Shack opened in Doha, Qatar in the Villagio Mall. On December 7, 2012 a location opened at the Dalma Mall in Abu Dhabi, UAE. On January 2, 2013 a location opened at the Dubai International Airport becoming the chain's first airport location. A third Kuwait location opened January 25, 2013 at the Al Fanar Mall in [[Salmiya]. Alshaya also opened Shake Shack in City Centre Beirut  bringing the total Middle East locations to eight.
A London branch is scheduled to open mid-2013, located in the historic market building in Covent Garden. Additionally, two locations are planned to open in Istanbul, Turkey in 2013. One is in the Istinye Park Mall and the second in the Tunel neighborhood. The Istanbul locations will be run by Shaya, the company that manages the locations in the Middle East.
- "Best Burger". New York. May 21, 2005. Retrieved February 27, 2010.
- Collins, Glenn (March 24, 2009). "For Mets’ Fans, a Menu Beyond Peanuts and Cracker Jack". The New York Times. Retrieved March 24, 2009.
- Levin, Sam (July 12, 2010). "Burger lovers rejoice! Minichain Shake Shack opens in Times Square". Daily News (New York). Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Gregor, Alison (January 19, 2010). "Square Feet: New Tenant Lifts a Manhattan Street". The New York Times. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- Fabricant, Florence (August 4, 2010). "Diners Journal: Upper East Side Shake Shack Is Open". The New York Times. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Brooklyn Shake Shack Now Open, With Three Brooklyn-Only Concretes". Gothamist. December 21, 2011. Retrieved December 21, 2011.
- Haughney, Christine (July 25, 2011). "More Crowded Crowds: Grand Central to Welcome Apple and Shake Shack". The New York Times. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- Danny Meyer joins top-flight tenant tasters of choice Upper West Side site - NYPOST.com
- Shake Shack to Open Location Near Barclays Center - Shack Attack - Eater NY
- A Look at JFK’s Incoming Shake Shack, Plus More Details on Terminal 4’s Food Plans - Grub Street New York
- JFK Airport, NYC | Shake Shack
- Coral Gables, FL | Shake Shack
- Boca Raton, FL | Shake Shack
- Morrissey, Aaron (August 11, 2010). "Shake Shack To Enter The D.C. Burger Fray". DCist. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- "Nationals Unveil New Culinary Offerings from Union Square Hospitality Group at Miller Lite Scoreboard Walk on Tuesday, June 14" (Press release). Washington Nationals. June 13, 2011. Retrieved August 6, 2011.
- Inzitari, Vanessa. "Get Ready for Shake Shack, Westport!". The Westport Daily Voice. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Inzitari, Vanessa. "Fans Hungry for Shake Shack". The Westport Daily Voice. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- The accidental cult hero: Shake Shack opens in Philadelphia, by Michael Klein, Philly.com
- @ShakeShack Mar 2 (2012-09-13). "New Haven, CT". Shake Shack. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Westbury, NY | Shake Shack
- Shake Shack Opens On Route 9 In Chestnut Hill « CBS Boston
- The Daily Pennsylvanian :: Drexel Shake Shack location doesn't worry campus retailers
- Shake Shack coming to International Spy Museum next year - Capital Business Blog - The Washington Post
- Shake Shack eyes Georgetown, readies for Spy Museum - Washington Business Journal
- Shake Shack eyes Harvard Square | Boston Herald
- MGM's park project set to bring new dining and drinking options to the Strip - Las Vegas Weekly
- Shake Shack now open at Mall of the Emirates | HotelierMiddleEast.com
- "Shake Shack opening tonight.". 248am.com July 6, 2011.
- Doha, Villaggio Mall | Shake Shack
- Abu Dhabi, Dalma Mall | Shake Shack
- Dubai International Airport | Shake Shack
- Salmiya, Al Fanar Mall | Shake Shack
- Shake Shack - Beirut City Centre
- Hanly, Gavin. "Shake Shack London confirmed as coming to Covent Garden in 2013". Hot Dinners. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Shake Shack to Open in Istanbul, Turkey in Spring 2013 - Shack Attack - Eater National