Shake a Fist
|"Shake a Fist"|
|Single by Hot Chip|
|from the album Made in the Dark|
|Released||30 August 2007|
|Format||12" vinyl single|
|Hot Chip singles chronology|
"Shake a Fist" is the first single released by Hot Chip from their 2008 album Made in the Dark. It was released on 30 August 2007 on 12" vinyl single. The song was almost included on Hot Chip's second album release, The Warning.
Alexis Taylor stated that the lyrics, "I move underwater, I eat what I slaughter", were formed as a result of him "imagining what it would be like to take salvia divinorum", which Joe Goddard had taken at Glastonbury Festival. The song itself was the product of Goddard's experience, which Taylor wrote down words to accompany.
"Shake a Fist" was described by The Guardian as a "brooding, industrial, 12-inch introduction to Made in the Dark". Prefix magazine described the song as having "squeaky synths and a laid back bass line playing sidekick to ominous urban jungle drums" with vocals that have "a well defined power dynamic", whilst bbc.co.uk said the song "blends terrific acidic bass [with] jagged snares" and has "shamanic backing vocals". The Irish Times characterised "Shake a Fist" as "a dizzy skyscraper of a track, full to the brim with sonic smarts and tricks yet hard-wired to a snaking, nagging groove".
A sample of Todd Rundgren's voice was used as a result of Al Doyle and Alexis Taylor being fans of Todd Rundgren's third solo album, Something/Anything?. The reception to the sample was mixed; MusicOMH called it "delightful" but The Guardian felt it "grated". The Toronto Star highlighted "Shake a Fist" as a "top track", and described the song as "more intense and vaguely threatening than anything they've done before", although the use of the Todd Rundgren sample was described as "intrusive".
- "Shake a Fist" – 5:10
- Leijon, Erik. "Hot Chip Benefit From Big Record Collections". Chart. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Fitzpatrick, Rob (2008-01-19). "Reel players". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Swift, Jacqui (2008-01-31). "I like people to be surprised". The Sun (London). Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Swash, Rosie (2008-01-22). "Ready for a fall, Hot Chip rise to expectations". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Klingman, Jeff. "Track Review: Hot Chip "Shake a Fist"". Prefix magazine. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Thomas, Lou. "Hot Chip - Made In The Dark". BBC. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Carroll, Jim (2008-01-01). "Hear Hot Chip Here". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Ahmad, Jamil. "Hot Chip - Made in the Dark". MusicOMH. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- Macpherson, Alex (2008-02-01). "Hot Chip, Made in the Dark". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- Rayner, Ben. "Hot Chip: Made in the Dark". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 2008-06-30.[dead link]