Shaker Maker is a toy for making figures. Water and a powder must be mixed in a shaker and after turning the shaker the mixture flows into moulds inside the shaker. Because of fast polymerisation the consistency of the mixture becomes like pudding in seconds. After some days it hardens.
Shaker Maker was invented in the 1970s of the firm Ideal Toy Company. The toy was primarily sold in the USA and some countries in Europe. In the 1990s and the 2000s there were two relaunches of Shaker Maker but met with less success.
Shaker Maker is a toy for children aged four years and older which makes it easy for them to make their own toy figures. The base element is a powder called "Magic Mix" which comes in a range of colours. After mixing with water it has to be shaken. After some seconds the shaker has to be turned so that the mixture can flow into a mould which is installed in the shaker. After five to ten minutes the mixture hardens, and the figures are ready to be taken out of their mould and placed on a drying stand. The figures shrink dramatically as they dry, and final drying can take another few days. When the figures are completely dry they can be painted and decorated.
First invented by the Ideal Toy Company, it appeared in stores in the early Seventies. In the early Nineties Toymax, New York started producing it again. After that it was reissued by the Canadian firm Spin Master in 2003. 
- Fill cap to water line with cool water.
- Pour contents of Magic Mix package into water.
- Close moulds halves around the cap.
- Place shaker bottom over assembled mold halves and shake with bottom up 10 to 20 seconds.
- Turn shaker over and place on a table and wait five to ten minutes.
- Remove the bottom.
- Separate the mold halves.
- Place figures of the drying stand. The figures shrinks about fifty percent of its size.
The sets of Ideal and Toymax are compatible. A sample of sets:
- People Series No. 1 (1971): Hippies.
- Disney characters (1972): Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Pluto
- The Flintstones characters (1973)
- Switchables (1973)
- Bat-Man Playset
Spin Master and Flair Create
- Care Bears
- Disney Princess
- Favourite Pets
- Ben 10
- The Simpsons
- Disney Fairies
- Star Wars
- Toy Story
- Minnie Mouse
- Tatty Teddy
- Doctor Who
- Dora the Explorer
- Go Diego Go!
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shaker Maker.|