Shakespeare by the Sea, Los Angeles
Shakespeare by the Sea is a nonprofit organization that was launched in 1998 by Producing Artistic Director Lisa Coffi. Shakespeare by the Sea offers a free repertory season that runs for nine weeks throughout Los Angeles and Orange County. All performances are admission free. Each summer, the company tours about 20 cities for as many as 40 performances.
Over the years, Shakespeare by the Sea has developed into a mid-sized arts organization with three core programs: the free summer repertory presented in San Pedro and then throughout the South Bay, Los Angeles and Orange County; the Little Fish Theatre, a 60-seat black box theatre producing new, classic and contemporary works year-round and "Shaking it up with Shakespeare" (SWISS) a touring educational outreach program.
These programs reflect the Shakespeare by the Sea mission to provide culturally diverse audiences with theatrical encounters. Shakespeare by the Sea is supported by a combination of individual donations, government and arts program grants and corporate sponsorship.
Founding members of Shakespeare by the Sea are Lisa Coffi, Stephanie Courtney and Keith Gotowicki. The organization is currently run by Lisa Coffi as Producing Artistic Director and Suzanne Dean as Development Director.
Shakespeare by the Sea, Los Angeles is listed as a Major Festival in the book Shakespeare Festivals Around the World by Marcus D. Gregio (Editor), 2004.
- 2013 All's Well that Ends Well and King John
- 2012 Romeo and Juliet and Two Gentlemen of Verona
- 2011 King Lear and Much Ado About Nothing
- 2010 Julius Caesar and Twelfth Night
- 2009 As You Like It and Love's Labour's Lost
- 2008 A Midsummer Night's Dream and Antony and Cleopatra
- 2007 Taming of the Shrew and The Merchant of Venice
- 2006 The Comedy of Errors and Hamlet
- 2005 The Merry Wives of Windsor and Othello
- 2004 Richard III and The Two Gentlemen of Verona
- 2003 Twelfth Night and Romeo and Juliet
- 2002 Much Ado About Nothing and Macbeth
- 2001 As You Like It and The Tempest
- 2000 A Midsummer Night's Dream
- 1999 The Taming of the Shrew
- 1998 The Comedy of Errors
- Ng, David. "Shakespeare in the Sun" Los Angeles Times June 26, 2008
- Deioma, Kayte "Summer Means Shakespeare in Southern California" About.com Los Angeles Travel Blog, July 14, 2006
- Ip, Hoiyin. "Picnic with Shakespeare" Travel Channel Online
- Gottlieb, Shirle. "Pick of the Vine - A Review" Stage Happenings Online
- Ip, Hoiyin. "Pageant of the Masters Ticketing Torture" City Committee, August 5, 2008
- Gottlieb, Shirle. "Escabana in da Moonlight - A Review" Stage Happenings Online
- Haupt, Molly "Hay Fever" Is Hilariously Fun Coast Gopher Harbor Area News, April 20, 2009
- Farrell, John "Hay Fever" is blissfully brisk and breezy The Daily Breeze April 21, 2009
- Haupt, Molly "Betrayal" and Blind Love Coast Gopher Harbor Area News, April 24, 2009