Shakti (2011 film)
Threatical Movie poster
|Directed by||Meher Ramesh|
|Produced by||C. Ashwini Dutt|
|Written by||Yandamoori Veerendranath
J. K. Bharavi
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Editing by||Srinivas Rao|
|Distributed by||Sri Venkateswara Creations|
|Running time||149 min|
|Budget||450 million (US$7.2 million)(official budget)|
|Box office||150 million (US$2.4 million)|
The film, produced by C. Ashwini Dutt under the Vyjayanthi Movies banner, features an extensive supporting cast including Sonu Sood, Manjari Phadnis, S. P. Balasubramanyam, Jackie Shroff, Pooja Bedi and Tamil actor Prabhu Ganesan, was released on 1 April 2011. A dubbed Tamil version was simultaneously released in Tamil Nadu as Om Shakthi. It has been dubbed in Hindi as Ek Tha Soldier. It received largely negative reviews and was a flop as its box office earnings were considerably less than its budget.Shakti budget varies from 670 million (US$11 million) to 450 million (US$7.2 million) including marketing & print cost
Aishwarya (Ileana D'Cruz) is the daughter of central union home minister Raya (Prabhu Ganesan). Due to some reason, he doesn't allow his daughter to go on a trip with friends. She nonetheless goes to the trip. She then meets a guide, Shakti (Jr. NTR), who takes the group on a trip to several places. At first, she hates him because he uses every chance to get money from her. But when he saves her, she starts liking him. Afterwards, a few people who are chasing her finally find her in Kashmir and try to kill Shakti as he hurt'd them earlier. Their plan fails as Shakti turns out to be a Secret Agent and defends himself and catches the main person in this plan. When Aishwarya goes back to her father, he forgives her and asks whether she had taken a box in which there is a diamond. When she replies in the negative, he says that it is more important than his own daughter. Later, when Shakti goes to a temple, the diamond box falls off a basket his mother brought with flowers on top of it. They inform Mahadevaya who asks them to immediately come to Humpy with the box and Aishwarya. Their travel is blocked by a strong man who is then defeated by Shakti. He then kills one more person who tries to grab the box. Then Mahadeva Raya and a Swami (Nassar) come to him and then the flashback is revealed.
It is said that Mahadeva Raya'a father (S. P. Balasubramaniam) was a royal king who was extremely generous and had the blessings of god which gave him the power that whenever he touched the diamond, it used to shine brightly emitting light. He reveals that apart from the 18 Shakti petas, there is a secret one which protects India and only their family knows of it. There is also a protector who guards it at all times. His name is Rudra (Jr. NTR). After every 27 years, they must go to the shakti peta where the protector will perform several spiritual rites which must be compulsorily performed. When he starts performing them, an Egyptian king who knows of this comes to destroy the shakti peta. The protector kills the king but a person who works under the Mahadeva Raya's father, Janaki Varma (Jackie Shroff) cheats him and kills both the protector and Mahadeva Raya as he sought money from the king. He also steals a sword (Maha Trishulam) which is necessary for the rites to be performed. When the protector is killed, his wife, at the same time, delivers a baby boy whom Rudra gives to his loyal servant. The servant tries his best to save the boy but circumstances force him to throw the boy into the river. The boy is then found by a childless couple who adopt him. After finding out his past, he sets out for revenge.
Shakti then goes to Janaki's country where he is presently the underworld don and a multimillionaire. He kills Janaki and gets the sword. Finally he goes to perform the rites but is stopped by the Egyptian queen and her powerful son who comes back and cannot be defeated. The swami then tells him that the strong man can only be defeated by damaging his eyes. He then kills him and performs the rites.
- NTR Jr. as Shakti Swaroop/Rudra
- Ileana D'Cruz as Aishwarya Mahadevaraya
- Prabhu Ganesan as Mahadevaraya
- Manjari Phadnis as Gauri (Rudra's Wife)
- S. P. Balasubramaniam as Mahadevaraya's Father
- Jackie Shroff as Janaki Varma
- Pooja Bedi as Fakhtooni
- Nassar as Mahadevaraya's Swamy
- Sonu Sood as Mukthar (Fakhtooni's husband)
- Krishna Bhagavaan
- Reza Ashtarian
- Sayaji Shinde as Sivaji
- Brahmanandam as Avatar
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam
- Venu Madhav as Sathi Babu
- M. S. Narayana
- Daniel as Raakha
- Vidyut Jamwal
|Times of India|||
The high-budget socio-fantasy film was panned by critics. Sify stated "A major drawback of Shakti is that Meher Ramesh failed to club the periodic frames with the contemporary story. The flashback doesn`t suit the time factor. The story is nothing but the weird imagination of director (also story writer) Meher Ramesh. Technically speaking, there is no screenplay and editing at all, but the senseless play of the director`s wild and stoic imagination."
Rediff, which gave a two star said, "Needless to say the story lacks clarity and there is no logical thread either. As a result, the audience has to bear the tedium and the meandering plot. Sadly Shakti does not seem to have much 'shakti' to sustain."
CNN-IBN noted "Shakthi, touted as the costliest film ever made in the Telugu film industry, may not appeal to the viewers because of illogical and contradictory sequences. There are many bloomers like this in the film, which has many plots and sub-plots to confuse the audience."
Timesofindia also gave a negative review with two stars and said "The blame for this epic failure, however, should be taken by the director. In an attempt to make history, he ended up confusing the audience, thanks to the meagre story-line, poor narration and far-fetched imagination."
|Soundtrack album by Mani Sharma|
|Released||27 February 2011|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
The soundtrack, composed by Mani Sharma, was released on 27 February 2011.
|2.||"Prema Desam"||Hemachandra, Saindhavi||4:36|
|3.||"Mathilega Pichhiga"||Chinmayi, Ranjith||4:00|
|4.||"Surro Surra"||Javed Ali, Suchitra||5:27|
|5.||"Yamaga Unde"||Karunya, Malavika||4:22|
|6.||"Mahishasura Mardhini"||Sharath, Srivardhini||5:52|
|7.||"Maharudra Shakti"||Hemachandra, Ranjith, Hanumantha Rao, Rita, Saindhavi, Srivardhini||3:30|
- "Vidyut Jamwal plays negative lead in Billa 2". 14 November 2011.
- "Manjari opposite NTR". Sify.com. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Movie Review:Review: Shakti disappoints". Sify.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Review: Shakti is a wasted effort - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Shakthi Telugu Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Shakti Movie Review - NTR, Ileana, Pooja Bedi and others". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "NTR's Shakthi in Tamil". Sify.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Shakti film review - Telugu cinema Review - NTR & Ileana". Idlebrain.com. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "'Shakti' Review: Takes Out Your Shakti". Greatandhra.com. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Shakti movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. 2 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Ileana`s tension". Sify.com. 25 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "'Shakthi' a disappointment for NTR fans - Movies News - Telugu - ibnlive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.