Shakti Kapoor at Naughty @ 40 First Look Launch
|Born||Sunil Sikanderlal Kapoor
3 September 1958 
|Years active||1975 – present|
|Spouse(s)||Shivangi (1982 – Present)|
Shakti Kapoor (born 3 September 1958) is an Indian Bollywood actor. He is known as one of the leading villains in Bollywood movies for more than three decades. He has also been applauded for playing comic roles in several movies. Through the eighties and nineties, Kapoor teamed up with another senior actor Kader Khan as the comical or evil duo in over 100 films. Kapoor is one of the few Bollywood actors who played the stereotype Bollywood negative roles and negative characters with a comic touch with equal finesse.
Shakti Kapoor was born Sunil Kapoor in Delhi, India to a Punjabi family. He grew up in New Delhi and he did his graduation from Kirori Mal College, Delhi University. His father ran a tailor shop in Connaught Place, New Delhi. When leading actor / director Sunil Dutt offered him the role of the main villain in the movie Rocky, he thought the name 'Sunil Kapoor' was too weak for a villain, so he renamed him as 'Shakti Kapoor'.
As a struggler in Bollywood, initially Shakti Kapoor did many small inconsequential roles in movies, all the while looking out for a suitable role as a leading man. The years 1980-81 established Shakti Kapoor as a talented actor in Bollywood when two of his movies Qurbani and Rocky became blockbusters. He had played the role of the main villain in both these movies. The early eighties saw a spate of Bollywood "star-sons" getting launched and the film-makers found the debonair and talented Kapoor a perfect counterpart for the debuting star-sons.
In 1983, the Jeetendra-Sridevi starrer, Himmatwala and the Subhash Ghai directed movie Hero were blockbusters and Kapoor had played key villain roles in both these movies. By then he had firmly established himself as one of the most sought-after villains in Bollywood and this trend was to last for the next two decades. Through the eighties and nineties, it was observed that practically every Bollywood movie either had Kapoor or Amrish Puri playing the negative character.
In the nineties, he often diversified to positive comic roles and performed them with equal finesse. He has been nominated for the Filmfare Award in the Best Comedian category and won once, for his performance as Nandu in David Dhawan's film, Raja Babu. Some of his popular comic roles have been as Inspector Bhinde in Insaaf, Prasad in Baap Numbri Beta Dus Numbri, Crime Master Gogo in Andaz Apna Apna, Tohfa, as Batuknath in Chaalbaaz and as Goonga in Bol Radha Bol.
Kapoor has been a popular reference for mimicry artistes who emulate his style and dialogues such as "Aaaooo Lolita" from the movie Tohfa, "Main Nanha sa Chotta sa Bachcha Hoon" from the movie Chaalbaaz and "Nandu sabka bandhu, samajhta nahi hai yaar" from the movie Raja Babu. Since 2000, Kapoor is a regular fixture in Priyadarshan films like Hungama, Hulchul, Chup Chup Ke and Malamaal Weekly and most recently Malayalam remake Bhagam Bhag. He also acted in few Bengali films of Kolkata. In 2011, he has featured in the reality television show Bigg Boss (season 5) as one of the contestants. He has appeared in musical comedy Aasman Se Gire Khajoor Pe Atke ,, with his sister-in-law Padmini Kolhapure.
Shakti Kapoor is married to Shivangi (Padmini Kolhapure's elder sister) and has two children, a son Siddhanth Kapoor (who is DJ turned assistant director turned actor) and a daughter Shraddha Kapoor (who is an actress).
- Darwaza (1978)
- Khel khiladi ka (1977)
- Jaani Dushman (1979)
- Sargam (1979)
- Rocky (1980) - R.D.
- Aasha (1980) - Mr. Shakti
- Morcha (1980)
- Qurbani (1980) - Vikram Singh
- Rocky (1981)
- Naseeb (1981)
- Satte Pe Satta (1982) - Mangal Anand
- Waqt Ke Shehzade (1982) - Shakti Singh
- Mahaan (1983)
- Himmatwala (1983)
- Watan ke rakwale
- Tohfa (1984)
- Akalmand (1984) - Shakti
- Bhago Bhut Aaya - Jagjit / Mangal Singh
- Karma (1986) - Jagga / Jolly
- Janbaaz (1986)
- Dance Dance (1987) - Resham
- Insaaf (1987) - Insp. Bhinde
- Satyamev Jayate (1987) - Bagga
- Aag Hi Aag (1987) - Daku Gangwa
Kalyuga Pandavulu (1986) -Telugu movie
- Pyar Ka Mandir (1988) - Dilip
- Ram-Avtar (1988) - Gundappa Swami
- Vijay (1988) - Suresh Padampati
- Mujrim (1989) - Sabajdur
- Jaisi Karni Waisi Bharnii (1989)
- Chaalbaaz (1989) - Batuknath Lallan Prasad Malpani / Balma
- Maha-Sangram (1990) - Babu Kasai
- Baap Numbri Beta Dus Numbri (1990) - Prasad
- Nachnewale Gaanewale (1990)
- Bol Radha Bol (1992)
- Adharm (1992)
- Khiladi (1992) - Suresh Malhotra
- Geet (1992) - Hari Saxena
- Aankhen (1993) - Tejeshwar
- Muqabla (1993)
- Andaz Apna Apna (1994) - Crime Master Gogo
- Raja Babu (1994) - Nandu
- Khoja Babu (1995) - touching story of a Bengali boy living in Hyderabad who contracted Psoriasis.
- Main Khiladi Tu Anari (1994) - Goli
- Jallaad (1995) - Shakti Jackson
- Bewafa Saman (1995) - Jailer Zalim Singh
- Yaraana (1995)- Banke
- Loafer (1996) - Ravi's Mama
- Judwaa (1997) - Rangeela
- Prithvi (1997) -
- Bhai (1997) - Bharat
- Monermanush (1997) (Bengali Movie)
- Hamaara Faisla (1998) - Swaroop Pictures (Music-Rituraj)
- Hero Hindustani (1998) - Cadbury
- Gunda (1998) - Chuttiya
- Hum Saath-Saath Hain: We Stand United (1999) - Anwar
- Heeralal Pannalal (1999) - Bhos D Ka
- Mere Aaghosh Mein (2000)
- Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega (2000) - Abdul's Uncle
- Zubeidaa (2001) - Dance Master Hiralal
- Ek Rishtaa: The Bond of Love (2001) - Ladoo Mama
- Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya (2002) - Chinni
- Talaash: The Hunt Begins... (2003) - Upadhyay
- Hungama (2003) - Teja Bhai
- Musafir (2004) - Wacko Jacko
- Hulchul (2004) - Kashinath
- Dosti: Friends Forever (2005) - Bharucha
- Malamaal Weekly (2006) - Joseph
- Chup Chup Ke (2006) - Natwar
- Bhagam Bhag (2006) - Guru
- Nehlle Pe Dehlla (2007) - Balram 'Balu' Sahni
- Bombay to Goa (2007) - A.C.P Shakti Singh
- De Dana Dan (2009) - as Musha Heerapoorwala / Suber
- Baabarr (2009) - Sarfaraaz
- No Problem (2010) - Commissioner of Police
- Naughty @ 40 (2011) - Sharafat Ali
- Bin Bulaye Baraati (2011)
- Arabeem Ottakom P. Madhavan Nayarum in Oru Marubhoomikkadha (Malayalam) (2011) - Hosni Mubarak
- Daal Mein kuch Kaala Hai (2012)
- Rabba Main Kya Karoon (2013)
- Sahasam (2013) Telugu Movie
- Mr Joe B. Carvalho(2014)
Casting couch controversy
In March 2005, India TV released a video, allegedly showing Shakti Kapoor asking for sexual favor from an undercover reporter posing as an aspiring actress, in return for entry into the film industry.Where he told the undercover reporter "I want to make love to you....kiss you"  According to India TV, this was a sting operation to expose the phenomenon of casting couch prevalent in Bollywood. This incident sparked a controversy in Bollywood and Kapoor was banned by the Film & Television Producers Guild of India. Association of Indian Motion Pictures and TV Programme Producers decided not to ban him as no allegations against him were proven. One week later, however, the Film & Television Producers Guild lifted the ban.
Kapoor claimed that the video clip in question was doctored and he had been framed. He said that the undercover reporter met him several times and threatened to commit suicide if he did not come to the hotel room she had booked.
- As Contestant
Evicted Day 28
- "Another Kapoor debut, this time with Amitabh". Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- I don`t believe in the casting couch at all, Tehleka.com, retrieved March 17, 2013
- "Best Shakti Kapoor characters". Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- Ramesh, Randeep (16 March 2005). "Bollywood baddie shown as casting couch villain". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Bhattacharya, Chandrima (15 March 2005). "Casting couch divide runs deep". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Prasad, Raekha (16 March 2005). "I've been framed, says Bollywood villain". Times Online. Retrieved 2009-07-07.