Shakuntala Park (Bengali: শকুন্তলা পার্ক) is a neighbourhood/ locality and a township in South West Kolkata which lies in the greater Behala region. Shakuntala Park (prime significance as Shakuntala Park Housing Estate) is a satellite township. It is in South West Kolkata, part of the greater Behala region.
It is reachable through Behala Chowrasta or through Budge Budge Trunk Road (from Taratala crossing) and Dakghar / Maheshtala of South 24 Parganas. It is starting just two kilometers from Behala Chowrasta and extended up to nearly four kilometers till Oxytown / Shibrampur. It is a predominantly Bengali neighborhood, but many South Indians, Goans, Biharis and Oriyas also reside in the area. It is bordered by Shakuntala Park area (Patton Tank Factory) in the east and Kethopole to the west. The main road is Biren Roy Road (West) renamed Ho-Chi-Minh Sarani.
The area was extremely rural prior to the 1972 Bangladesh war. During the war the Indian government dumped scores of refugees from Bangladesh in this underdeveloped locality close to Kolkata. These refugees are now legalized Indian citizens and form the bulk of the population in the region.
The West Bengal government's Housing Developments Authority, West Bengal Housing Board developed the township for residential projects, selling vacant plots (2K and 3K series), pre-constructed houses (H2, H1, M1, L and E schemes) and 4 storied apartments as New Shakuntala Park and Swaranika Co-operative Housing Societies. Swaranika consists of 465 flats. The township is divided into 5 zones/ sectors.
The area was under the jurisdiction of Thakurpukur Police Station and partly under Parnasree Police Station, which are a part of the South West Division of the Kolkata Police Department. There was a Police Outpost situated inside the township beside Mother Dairy booth, Shakuntala Park unit. On February 25, 2014 this outpost was converted into Sarsuna Police Station and the area which was under Thakurpukur PS comes under the jurisdiction of this new police station. Remaining area is under Parnasree PS as it was. This new police station was inaugurated by the then Commissioner of Police, Mr. Surajit Kar Purkayastha, IPS.
There are three lakes (Lake No. 1, 2, and 3 respectively) located within half a kilometer of the township. Lake 1 is beautified and maintained by Kolkata Corporation. Beautification of Lake 2 & 3 is in the pipeline. This is the center of attraction of the locality for its serene and natural ambience. Apart from the casual visitors countless morning and evening walkers visit this place daily to rejuvenate. It is also a coveted fishing spot. During 'Chat Puja' the Biharis assemble here in scores to offer puja, in a year. There are many clubs and associations in the area (six co-operative societies and their clubs), which organise celebrations for Durga Puja, the main Bengali festival, Kali Puja and all other pujas in their respective puja grounds in different areas of the township. The entire Shakuntala Park Housing area is now a place of growing interest for shooting of different films and TV serials.
There is a big playground beside Lake1 named Central Park under joint supervision of all cooperative societies of the township. A swimming pool is also situated beside Lake1 in the Central Park. On the southern end of the township there are two colleges as Sarsuna General College, Law College and a Supermarket.
The Life Insurance Corporation of India has constructed their Zonal Training Institute, Jeevan Vidya, here. Many L.I.C. employees from across India go there to train, and stay at the L.I.C. Hostel adjacent to the training institute.
The branches of following banks are available viz, Punjab National bank, Punjab & Sind Bank, Allahabad Bank, United Bank of India, Canara Bank (Shakuntala Park branch located at Kethopole), State Bank of India (Shibrampur branch located at Kethopole) and Axis Bank (Shakuntala Park branch located at Shibrampur). The ATMs of following banks are available viz, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, SBI, PNB, PSB and UBI.
There are two local milk bars, Mother Dairy and Metro Dairy.
This area is suffering from the problem of water logging in rainy seasons. Though the problem is reduced to a great extent in the area which belongs to Ward No 128 after construction of underground sewerage. The portion which is in Ward No 127 shows no improvement as no underground drainage system is there.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2014)|
- 12C/1 Howrah Station – Shibrampur via Barabazar, Dalhousie, Esplanade, Park Street, Rabindra Sadan, P.G. Hospital, P.T.S., Hastings, Khidderpore, Mominpore, Majherhat, Behala Tram Depot, Behala Chowrasta, Bakultala, Shakuntala Park, Muchipara
- 18B/1 Dakghar – China Mandir (Some Buses Upto Muchipara) via Bannerjeehat, Moynagore, Shibrampur, Muchipara, Shakuntala Park, Bakultala, Behala Chowrasta, Behala Tram Depot, Majherhat, Mominpore, Judges Court, Gopal Nagar, Hazra, Rasbehari, Deshapriya Park, Gariahat, Ballygunge Station, Bosepukur, Kasba, Ruby Hospital, Nonadanga
- JM3 Sarsuna College - Ultadanga via Muchipara, Shakuntala Park, Bakultala, Chowrasta, Behala, Majherhat, Mominpur, Alipur Zoo, P.T.S, P.G Hospital, Rabindra Sadan, Park Street, Esplanade, Moulai, Sealdaha, Rajabazar, Maniktala, Kankurgachi
Mini Bus Routes
- KS1 Sarada Park - Anandapur via Bakultala, Behala Chowrasta, Sakherbazar, Karunamayee, Tollygunge, Gariahat, Ballygunge Station, Bosepukur, Kasba, Ruby Hospital
- 121 Howrah Station – Behala - Shakuntala Park via Barabazar, Dalhousie/Strand Road, Esplanade, Park Street, Rabindra Sadan, P.G.Hospital, P.T.S., Alipore Zoo, Majherhat, Behala Tram Depot, Behala Chowrasta, Bakultala
- 132 B.B.D. Bagh – Budge Budge (Upto Dakhghar) via Dalhousie, Park Street, Rabindra Sadan, P.G.Hospital, P.T.S., Alipore Zoo, Judges Court, Majherhat, Behala Tram Depot, Shakuntala Park, Shibrampur, Sarsuna College, Muchipara, Shibarampur, Moynagarh, Banerjeehat, Dakghar, Nungi, Budge Budge Station, Charial, Pujali
CSTC Bus Routes
- S22 Shakuntala Park - Salt Lake Karunamoyee via Bakultala, Chowrasta, Behala, Taratala, New Alipur, Chetla, Rashbihari, Gariahat, Ballygounge, Kasba, Ruby Hospital, Science City, Chingrighata, Nicco Park, SDF, College More, Tank No 10
- S22A Dakghar - Salt Lake Karunamoyee via Banerjeehat, Moynagore, Shibrampur, Muchipara Shakuntala Park, Bakultala, Chowrasta, Behala, Taratala, New Alipur, Chetla, Rashbihari, Gariahat, Ballygounge, Kasba, Ruby Hospital, Science City, Chingrighata, Nicco Park, SDF, College More, Tank No 10
- S45 Shakuntala Park - Kolkata Railway Station via Bakultala, Chowrasta, Behala, Majherhat, Mominpur, Ekbalpur, Alipur Zoo, P.T.S, Rabindra Sadan, Park Strret, Esplanade, Moulali, Sealdaha, Rajabazar, Maniktala, Khanna, Shyambazar, RG Kar Hospital