|Born||20 November 1979 (age 34)|
|Other names||Shalini Ajith|
(2000 – present)
Shalini Kumar, also known simply as Shalini, is an Indian film actress who debuted, at the age of 4, as a child artist in the Malayalam film Ente Mamattikkuttiyammakku which was produced by Navodaya Studio. She continued to appear in many films as a child actor, credited as Baby Shalini. After a break of several years, she returned to the industry by appearing in her first lead role in Aniyathi Pravu which went on to become a blockbuster. She later appeared in highly successful films in Malayalam and Tamil such as Kadhalukku Mariyadhai (1997), Niram (1999), Amarkalam (1999) and Alaipayuthey (2000). Shalini is married to Tamil film actor Ajith Kumar.
Early and Personal Life
Shalini was born to Babu & Alice on 20 November 1979. She attended Fatima Mat. Hr. Sec School, Adarsh Vidyalaya, Chennai and Church Park Convent, Chennai. She is the middle child. Her younger sister Shamili and her elder brother Richard Rishi are also employed in the film industry. Shalini has stated that she enjoys badminton and has played in a few state-level tournaments.
In 1999, during the shoot of Saran's Amarkalam, Ajith began to date his co-star Shalini. At that time, their involvement made him a regular subject of tabloid gossip, a role to which he was accustomed following his previous relationship. Ajith proposed to Shalini in June 1999, and following consultations with her family, she agreed. They were married in April 2000 in Chennai in a grand ceremony. As both were of different religions, Ajith being a Hindu Brahmin and Shalini being Protestant Christian, they were married together under the customs of both religions. After their marriage, Shalini retired as an actress and became a full-time housewife, following the completion of two unfinished projects. On 3 January 2008, their daughter, Anoushka, was born in Chennai.
Shalini started her career as a child artist in Ente Mamattikkuttiyammakku and she acted in all the films under the direction of Fazil. She went to study, she returned to acting with Aniyathipravu which was successful. Initially Fazil was keen on casting a debutant in the lead female role, but Shalini inisted that she should also star in the Tamil version. Her performance was praised especially Indolink.com recommending the film and citing that "Shalini returns in this film with a good performance". The success of the film prompted the director to make another film with the lead pair in 2000, Kannukkul Nilavu which received positive reviews and was a success at the box office. Her next film was Amarkalam, Saran initially approached Shalini, who was studying at the time and she refused but after a three-month pursuit, he finally got her to sign on as well. She was offered a role in Padayappa which she rejected.
As child artist
|1983||Ente Mamattikkuttiyammakku||Mamattukuttiyama/Tintu||Malayalam||Kerala State Film Award for Best Child Artist|
|1984||Onnum Mindatha Bharya||Malayalam|
|1984||Oru Sumangaliyude Kadha||Malayalam|
|1985||Vannu Kandu Keezhadakki||Malayalam|
|1985||Oru Nokku Kanan||Chinnumol/Unnimol||Malayalam|
|1985||Katha Ithu Vare||Ramyamol||Malayalam|
|1985||Iniyum Kadha Thudarum||Malayalam|
|1985||Muhurtham 11.30 nu||Raji||Malayalam|
|1986||Priyamvadakkory Pranaya Geetham||Malayalam|
|1986||Ente Entethu Mathrem||Malayalam|
|1986||Ee Jeeva Ninagagi||Latha||Kannada|
|1989||Raja Chinna Roja||Chitra||Tamil|
|1990||Jagadeka Veerudu Atiloka Sundari||Shamili||Telugu|
|1997||Aniyathi Pravu||Mini||Kunchako Boban||Malayalam|
|1997||Nakshathra Tharattu||Hema||Kunchako Boban||Malayalam|
|1999||Amarkalam||Mohana||Ajith Kumar||Tamil||Also playback singer|
|1999||Prem Poojari||Hema||Kunchako Boban||Malayalam|
|2000||Alaipayuthey||Sakthi||R. Madhavan||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award Special Prize for Best Actress
Nominated- Filmfare Award for Best Tamil Actress
|2001||Piriyadha Varam Vendum||Nithi||Prashanth||Tamil|
- Ajith Shalini Marriage Ajith Kumar Wedding Photos Tamil Actor Details » Psyphil Celebrity Blog. Celebrity.psyphil.com (3 January 2008). Retrieved on 2011-06-28.
- `Acting is a lot of responsibility'. The Hindu, 10 October 2006
- "Tamil Nadu / Tiruchi News : From a child artiste to badminton player". The Hindu. 15 September 2006. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Talk of the Town". The Hindu. 26 April 2000. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Rediff On The NeT, Movies: The Ajit-Shalini romance". Rediff.com. 15 September 1999. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "www.ajithkumar.fr.fm". www.ajithkumar.fr.fm. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Penchant for riveting romances - The Hindu". Cscsarchive.org:8081. 20 June 2004. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai: Movie Review". Indolink.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Rediff On The NeT, Movies: Director Saran on matters close to his heart". Rediff.com. 10 February 2000. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Rediff On The NeT, Movies: Gossip from the southern film industry". Rediff.com. 3 November 1998. Retrieved 2012-07-12.