Shalva Nutsubidze (Georgian: შალვა ნუცუბიძე; December 14, 1888 - January 6, 1969) was a Georgian philosopher, translator and public benefactor, one of founders of the Tbilisi State University (TSU), founder of Alethology, one of founders of the scientific school in the field of history of Georgian philosophy, Academician of the Georgian Academy of Sciences (GAS), Meritorious Scientific Worker of Georgia, Doctor of Philosophical Sciences, Professor.
Nutsubidze was born in 1888, in a small Georgian village Partskhanakanebi (near Kutaisi, Western Georgia). In 1910 he graduated from the St.Petersburg University (Russia). In 1911-1914 he was a Post-Graduate student of the University of Leipzig (Germany). In 1915 Nutsubidze received a PhD degree.
In 1916-1918 he was Associate Professor of the St.Petersburg University. In 1918 he was one of founders of the Tbilisi State University (TSU). In 1918-1953 and 1960-1969 Nutsubidze was Professor of TSU (in 1920-1929 - Vice-Rector).
In 1925-1926 he was Visiting Professor of the University of Leipzig. In 1927 he received a degree of Doctor of Philosophical Sciences.
In 1944 Nutsubidze was elected as Academician (Full Member) of the Georgian Academy of Sciences (GAS).
Main fields of scientific activity of Shalva Nutsubidze were: alethology, history of Georgian philosophy, history of the old Georgian literature, Rustvelology, problems of the oriental renessance. He was a well-known translator also: he translated The Knight in the Panther's Skin of Shota Rustaveli, Visramiani and other outstanding literary works in Russian. Nutsubidze is co-author of well-known Theory about identity of Pseudo-Denys Areopagit and Georgian philosopher of the 5th century Peter the Iberian (Theory of Nutsubidze-Honigmann).
Nutsubidze died in 1969, in Tbilisi. He is buried in the garden of the Tbilisi State University.
Some of main works of Shalva Nutsubidze
- Sh. Nutsubidze. "Bolzano and theory of Science".- "Voprosi Filosofii i Psikhologii", vol. I-II, St.Petersburg, 1913 (in Russian)
- Sch. Nutsubidse. "Wahrheit und Erkenntnisstruktur. Erste Einleitung in den Aletheiologischen Realismus" (a monograph), Berlin-Leipzig, 1926 (in German)
- Sch. Nutsubidse. "Philosophie und Weisheit. Specielle Einleitung in die Aletheiologie" (a monograph), Berlin-Kenigsberg, 1931 (in German)
- Sh. Nutsubidze. "Mystery of Pseudo-Dionys Areopagit (a monograph), Tbilisi, 1942 (in Russian, English summary)
- Sh. Nutsubidze. "Rustaveli and the Oriental Renessance" (a monograph), Tbilisi, 1947, 1967 (in Russian)
- Sh. Nutsubidze. "History of Georgian Philosophy", Vol. I, Tbilisi, 1956; Vol. II, Tbilisi, 1958 (in Georgian)
- Sh. Nutsubidze. "Peter of Iberian and problems of the Areopagitics".- Proceedings of the Tbilisi State University, vol. 65, Tbilisi, 1957 (in Russian)