Shane O'Neill (soccer)
|Full name||Shane Edward O'Neill|
|Date of birth||September 2, 1993|
|Place of birth||Midleton, Republic of Ireland|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2012–2013||United States U20||12||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of May 25, 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
O'Neill joined the Colorado Rapids youth system in 2009. He led the Rapids U18 team in scoring in 2011-12 with 10 goals in 15 games, helping them reach the playoffs.
O'Neill originally signed to play college soccer at the University of Virginia, however on June 19, 2012, O'Neill signed with the Colorado Rapids as a Home Grown Player. Three months later, he made his professional debut in a 3-0 victory over the Portland Timbers.
O'Neill moved into the starting lineup in 2013 and received strong reviews, earning the Rapids' Young Player of the Year award and a nomination for U.S. Soccer Young Athlete of the Year, as the Rapids returned to the playoffs.He Also on May 24th He Scored He First Professional Goal.
O'Neill is eligible to represent both the United States and the Republic of Ireland. On October 9, 2012, O'Neill was called up by the United States U20 national team for the 2012 Marbella Cup in Spain. A day later, O'Neill made his debut for the U20's in a 2-1 loss to Canada, however he suffered an eye injury that ruled him out for the rest of the tournament. He later played for the US at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
He has yet to debut for the US senior team and has indicated a willingness to accept a call for his native Ireland. He participated in a US camp in January 2014, although he was dropped prior to a friendly against South Korea.
- "Rapids sign Boulder's Shane O'Neill as Homegrown player". coloradorapids.com. Colorado Rapids Media Relations. 19 June 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Sferra, German (5 September 2912). "O'Neill becomes first homegrown player to make MLS debut". Colorado Rapids. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Torre Added to U.S. U-20 Men's National Team Roster for 2012 Marbella Cup". U.S. soccer. 9 October 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "U.S. Under-20 MNT Loses 2-1 to Canada in International Friendly at 2012 Marbella Cup". U.S. soccer. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Bianchi, Chris (24 October 2012). "O'Neill hopes to keep getting calls from US U-20s". Colorado Rapids. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Heneghan, Conor (26 May 2014). "Maurice Fitzgerald's nephew scored his first goal in the MLS on Saturday night and it was a cracker". JOE.ie. Retrieved 26 May 2014.