Shane Smith (journalist)
September 28, 1969
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
|Alma mater||Lisgar Collegiate Institute
|Known for||VICE co-founder|
|Net worth||USD $400 million (2012)|
Shane Smith is a Canadian Emmy Award-winning journalist and web entrepreneur. He is the co-founder and CEO of the international media company VICE Media, operating an international network of digital channels, a television production studio, a record label, an in-house creative services agency, a book-publishing house, and a feature film division.
Early life and education
Career at VICE Media
Smith founded VICE along with Suroosh Alvi and Gavin McInnes as the youth magazine Voice of Montreal in 1994. After initially publishing print articles based on offbeat alternative culture, VICE moved to creating news content and social criticism on multiple media platforms in the mid-2000s. Smith remains an owner of the company, and The New York Times has described Smith as "a cross between a punk rocker and Fortune 500 Executive".
As a journalist Smith has traveled to locations such as North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan, Kashmir, Liberia, and Greenland, initially for the 2006 online TV series VICE Guide to Travel. In April 2013, VICE started a new series with HBO, Vice, where Smith and other VICE news reporters travel to places such as Afghanistan; Kashmir, India; Athens, Greece, and Spain. Stories have covered the use of depleted uranium arms by the U.S. military, to street warfare between Anarchists and Fascists during riots in Europe. The show's second season won an Emmy for Outstanding Informational Series or Special. The show was picked up for two more 14-episode seasons by HBO in May 2014, which will air in 2015 and 2016.
Smith currently resides in Tribeca, New York with his wife, Tamyka, and his two daughters Martina and Piper. Forbes estimates his net worth to be at $400 million. On January 13, 2015, on Joe Rogan's podcast #599 of the Joe Rogan Experience (JRE), Shane claims to be worth over $1 billion USD and plans to buy as much land as possible to conserve land as a charitable endeavor.
- 2006: VICE Guide to Travel (writer, correspondent)
- 2009: White Lightnin' (screenplay)
- 2013: Vice (writer, correspondent)
- 2014: Shot: The Mick Rock Documentary (executive producer)
- VICE – Ranked Number 3 Most Innovative Media Company by Fast Company
- VICE – Ad Age Magazine A-List 2010 (first free publication to be recognized)
- VICE - Ad Age's Publishing Company of the Year 2013
- VICE on HBO – Environmental Media Association Nominee 2014, Reality Television, "Greenland is Melting"
- VICE on HBO – Emmy Award for Outstanding Informational Series or Special 2014
- VICE - Shane Smith, Brand Genius Award Winner 2014
- VICE - Shane Smith, 2014 Knight Innovation Award
- Jeff Bercovici (18 September 2013). "Shane Smith, Vice's $400 Million Man, Is New York's Newest Media Mogul". Forbes. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- Alex Williams (16 August 2010). "A Wild Man Grows Up (Just Enough)". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Shane Smith Bio". Hbo.com. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "VICE Earns Its First Emmy". Hbo.com. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- The Deadline Team. "‘Vice’ Renewed: HBO Orders Seasons 3 & 4 - Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Shane Smith - Ones to Watch - Forbes". Forbes. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Shane Smith". IMDb. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- Kamenetz, Anya. "Most Innovative Companies - Media". Mansueto Ventures, LLC. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Dumenco, Simon. "Vice Is No. 9 on Ad Age's Magazine A-List". Advertising Age. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Dumenco, Simon; Toure, Malika. "Ad Age's Magazine A-List: Vice Media is Publishing Company of the Year". Advertising Age. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Harrison, Lily. "014 Environmental Media Association Awards: Nominees for the EMA Digital Video Award Announced!". E! Entertainment Television, LLC. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Vice". Television Academy. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- Bazilian, Emma. "How Shane Smith Built Vice Into a $2.5 Billion Empire 2014 Brand Genius winner for media". Adweek. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Vice Media’s Shane Smith to receive Knight Innovation Award on Dec. 1 at CUNY media innovation summit". John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shane Smith.|