Shane Smith (journalist)
1970 (age 43–44)
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
|Alma mater||Lisgar Collegiate Institute
|Known for||VICE co-founder|
|Net worth||USD $400 million (2012)|
Shane Smith was born in Ottawa, Canada to Irish immigrants. He attended the Lisgar Collegiate Institute and later graduated from Carleton University with a degree in political economy.
Career at VICE Media
Smith founded VICE along with Suroosh Alvi and Gavin McInnes as the youth magazine Voice of Montreal in 1994. After initially publishing print articles based on offbeat alternative culture, VICE moved to creating news content and social criticism on multiple media platforms in the mid-2000s. Smith remains an owner of the company, and The New York Times has described Smith as "a cross between a punk rocker and Fortune 500 Executive".
As a journalist Smith has travelled to locations such as North Korea, Iran, Liberia, and Russia, initially for the 2006 online TV series VICE Guide to Travel. In April 2013 VICE started a new series with HBO, Vice, where Smith and other VICE news reporters travel to places such as Afghanistan; Kashmir, India; Athens, Greece, and Spain. Their stories have covered the use of depleted uranium arms by the U.S. military, to street warfare between Anarchists and Fascists during riots in Europe. On June 13, 2013, HBO announced a second season. Locations for the second season will include Iran and Saudi Arabia, among others.
- 2006: VICE Guide to Travel (writer, correspondent)
- 2009: White Lightnin' (screenplay)
- 2013: Vice (writer, correspondent)
- , Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- Alex Williams (16 August 2010). "A Wild Man Grows Up (Just Enough)". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "HBO Renews ‘VICE’ For Second Season". Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "'Vice' on HBO's season two preview: Shane Smith talks scoops, celebrity correspondents, and aiming for EGOTs". Retrieved 2013-08-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shane Smith.|
|This article about a Canadian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|