Shanghaied in Astoria
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2011)|
Shanghaied In Astoria is a musical melodrama that is performed by the Astor Street Opry Company every summer in Astoria, Oregon, United States. It has run since 1984, and has been attended by over 55,000 people. Traditionally the play is performed three days a week from July to September. It is recommended by a leading travel guide.
The unpaid cast draws from locals, some which are well known, such as the Clatsop County District attorney who plays a bit part as sheriff. Support from benefactors such as the Ford Family Foundation are helping the production to move to a new theater for 2008.
The story is set in 1904 Astoria around the Scandinavian Midsummer Festival. The Norwegian hero, Eric Olson must rescue his sweetheart Miss Virginia Sweet from Max Krooke, her ward.
- "Entertainment". The Daily Astorian. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
- "Astoria Nightlife". Frommer's. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
- "Profile: Joshua K. Marquis". National District Attorneys Association. May–June 2002. Archived from the original on 2007-11-07. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
- "'Shanghaied' bonds with new location—Astor Street Opry Company finds new home to continue productions". The Daily Astorian. October 8, 2007. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
- "In Your Neighborhood Archives".
|This article on a play from the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|