Shannon City, Iowa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Shannon City, Iowa
City
Location of Shannon City, Iowa
Location of Shannon City, Iowa
Coordinates: 40°53′59″N 94°15′50″W / 40.89972°N 94.26389°W / 40.89972; -94.26389Coordinates: 40°53′59″N 94°15′50″W / 40.89972°N 94.26389°W / 40.89972; -94.26389
Country  United States
State  Iowa
Counties Union, Ringgold
Area[1]
 • Total 0.41 sq mi (1.06 km2)
 • Land 0.41 sq mi (1.06 km2)
 • Water 0 sq mi (0 km2)
Elevation 1,224 ft (373 m)
Population (2010)[2]
 • Total 71
 • Estimate (2012[3]) 72
 • Density 173.2/sq mi (66.9/km2)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP code 50861
Area code(s) 641
FIPS code 19-71940
GNIS feature ID 0461528

Shannon City is a city in Union and Ringgold counties in the U.S. state of Iowa. The population was 71 at the 2010 census.

Geography[edit]

Shannon City is located at 40°53′59″N 94°15′50″W / 40.89972°N 94.26389°W / 40.89972; -94.26389 (40.899657, -94.263932).[4]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.41 square miles (1.06 km2), all of it land.[1]

Demographics[edit]

Historical populations
Year Pop. ±%
1900 380 —    
1910 292 −23.2%
1920 333 +14.0%
1930 293 −12.0%
1940 288 −1.7%
1950 171 −40.6%
1960 127 −25.7%
1970 100 −21.3%
1980 93 −7.0%
1990 97 +4.3%
2000 70 −27.8%
2010 71 +1.4%
Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.  and Iowa Data Center

2010 census[edit]

As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 71 people, 35 households, and 19 families residing in the city. The population density was 173.2 inhabitants per square mile (66.9 /km2). There were 41 housing units at an average density of 100.0 per square mile (38.6 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.6% White and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.4% of the population.

There were 35 households of which 22.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 31.4% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 17.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 45.7% were non-families. 40.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.03 and the average family size was 2.58.

The median age in the city was 44.3 years. 22.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 2.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.7% were from 25 to 44; 29.6% were from 45 to 64; and 18.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 59.2% male and 40.8% female.

2000 census[edit]

As of the census[5] of 2000, there were 70 people, 34 households, and 19 families residing in the city. The population density was 470.6 people per square mile (180.2/km²). There were 40 housing units at an average density of 268.9 per square mile (103.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.14% White, 1.43% from other races, and 1.43% from two or more races.

There were 34 households out of which 26.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.2% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.1% were non-families. 38.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.06 and the average family size was 2.63.

In the city the population was spread out with 21.4% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 34.3% from 25 to 44, 22.9% from 45 to 64, and 15.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 112.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 120.0 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $19,583, and the median income for a family was $23,750. Males had a median income of $19,063 versus $16,667 for females. The per capita income for the city was $10,554. There were 20.0% of families and 17.7% of the population living below the poverty line, including 12.0% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.

References[edit]