|Full name||Shannon Terry Gabriel|
28 April 1988 |
Trinidad and Tobago
|Batting style||Right-hand bat|
|Bowling style||Right arm fast-medium|
|Only Test (cap 293)||17 May 2012 v England|
|Domestic team information|
|2010–present||Trinidad and Tobago|
|2010–present||Sagicor High Performance Centre|
|Source: ESPNcricinfo, 11 April 2013|
Shannon Terry Gabriel (born 1988) is a West Indies cricketer. He is a fast-bowler. He became a key member of the Trinidad and Tobago's attack quickly after his debut in 2010. Following a neck injury to Ravi Rampaul, which forced him out of the match, Gabriel made his Test match debut for West Indies in May 2012, against England at Lord's cricket ground.
Born 28 April 1988 in Trinidad and Tobago, Gabriel made his debut in first-class cricket on 29 January 2010 playing for Trinidad and Tobago against the Leeward Islands in the 2009–10 Regional Four Day Competition. Opening the bowling with Richard Kelly, Gabriel's first wicket was that of Mali Richards. He finished with two wickets for 46 runs in the match as Trinidad and Tobago won by 45 runs. Gabriel played two further first-class matches that season, finishing with four wickets at a cost of 39.75 runs each.
In June 2010, the West Indies Cricket Board founded the Sagicor West Indies Cricket High Performance Centre to improve the quality of young cricketers in the region. Gabriel was included in the centre's first intake of 15 players aged 19 to 27. The centre fielded a team in the 2010/11 WICB Cup, the regional 50-over competition. He made his List A debut in the competition on 15 October, opening the bowling and taking two wickets for 30 runs against Guyana. He played two further matches in the 2010/11 Cup without taking another wicket.
In his debut test match against England in May 2012, he took four wickets while conceding 86 runs in the match, with a good economy rate. However, during his debut Gabriel experienced pain in his back and bowled just five overs as England successfully chased 191 runs to win. He was sent home from the tour to rest the injury and Tino Best was called up in his place.
- "Shannon Gabriel player profile". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "Shannon Gabriel player summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Collomosse, Tom (17 May 2012). "Windies show some fight after Jimmy Anderson leads the way again". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "Shannon Gabriel". CricketArchive. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "f52251 Leeward Islands v Trinidad and Tobago: Regional Four Day Competition 2009/10". CricketArchive. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "First-class batting and fielding in each season by Shannon Gabriel". CricketArchive. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "First-class bowling in each season by Shannon Gabriel". CricketArchive. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Hunte reveals road map for West Indies cricket". ESPNcricinfo. 8 June 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "High performance team to play in WICB tournament". ESPNcricinfo. 18 September 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "a20803 Guyana v Sagicor High Performance Centre: West Indies Cricket Board Cup 2010/11 (Zone B)". CricketArchive. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "Records / West Indies Cricket Board Cup, 2010/11 / Most wickets". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "The Wisden Trophy – 1st Test, England v West Indies at Lord's, May 2012". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Tino Best replaces injured Gabriel". ESPNcricinfo. 22 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012.