January 26, 1974
Salt Lake City, Utah
|Genres||young adult fiction, fantasy|
|Notable work(s)||Goose Girl
Book of a Thousand Days
Shannon Hale (born January 26, 1974) is an American author of young adult fantasy and adult fiction, including the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, the Books of Bayern series, two adult novels, and two graphic novels that she co-wrote with her husband co-wrote.
Shannon Bryner was born in Salt Lake City, where she attended elementary school. She began writing at the age of 10. She attended West High School. She earned a Bachelor's Degree in English from the University of Utah and a Master's Degree in Creative Writing from the University of Montana.
Before writing professionally, she wrote while pursuing acting in television, stage, and improvisational comedy, as well as studying in Mexico and the United Kingdom. She spent a year and a half as an unpaid missionary in Paraguay, then returned to the United States to earn her bachelor's degree in English from the University of Utah and a master's in creative writing from the University of Montana. Hale also worked as an instructional designer, developing web-based training for Avaltus and Allen Communication before becoming a full-time writer.
Her first published book, The Goose Girl, met with numerous rejections until her first book The Goose Girl was finally published in 2003. In 2004 her second novel, Enna Burning, which follows Enna, a minor character from The Goose Girl, was published. The third installment in the Bayern series, River Secrets, was released in September 2006. By then Hale had earned numerous awards for her 2005 release, Princess Academy, including the prestigious Newbery Honor. A sequel to "Princess Academy" came out in 2012, called "Palace of Stone".
She has published three adult novels, Austenland, The Actor and the Housewife and "Midnight in Austenland" (a sequel to Austenland). She and her husband Dean Hale have also published a graphic novel, Rapunzel's Revenge. A sequel, entitled Calamity Jack, was published in 2010.
A young adult fantasy novel and the fourth book in the Books of Bayern series, Forest Born, came out in 2009.
Shannon has four children with husband Dean Hale: son Max (b. 2003), daughter Magnolia (b. 2006), and twin girls Dinah and Wren (b. 2010). The family resides in South Jordan, Utah. She is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- The Books of Bayern series
- Princess Academy (2005), ISBN 1-58234-993-2
- Austenland (2007), ISBN 1-59691-285-5 -premiered as a movie in January 2013
- Book of a Thousand Days (2007), ISBN 1-59990-051-3
- Rapunzel's Revenge (2008), ISBN 1-59990-288-5
- The Actor and the Housewife (2009), ISBN 1-59691-288-X
- Calamity Jack (2010), ISBN 978-1-59990-076-6
- Midnight in Austenland (2012)
- Princess Academy: Palace of Stone (2012)
- 2003 Josette Frank Award, Goose Girl
- 2006 Newbery Honor, Princess Academy
- 2007 Whitney Award, Book of a Thousand Days
- "Author Profile - Shannon Hale". Utah Children's Writers and Illustrators Newsletter. Utah Children's Writers and Illustrators. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Walquist, Tammy (2007-07-06). "Author's tales: Writers recount struggle to get published". Deseret Morning News. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- "Alumni Post-it Notes". U-News & Views. University of Utah Alumni Association. April 2006. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Lythgoe, Dennis (2007-07-08). "Life is hectic for novelist". Deseret Morning News. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Karford, Brittany (February 21, 2006). "Award-Winning LDS Author Counts Blessings". News from the Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Retrieved 2007-07-10.(Alternate version of the article)
- "Past Award Winners (1943-2006)". The Children's Book Committee Bank Street College of Education. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
- "2006 Newbery Medal and Honor Books". American Library Association. 2006. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- "First Annual Whitney Awards Highlights". Meridian Magazine. 2007. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Squeetus - Official Site
- Little Red Reading Hood - Fan Site
- Miss Erin Interview with Shannon
- Chris Rettstatt's Interview with Shannon Hale
- Shannon Hale at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database