Shaoshan (Chinese: 韶山; pinyin: Sháoshān) is a county-level city in Xiangtan, Hunan Province, noted as the birthplace of Mao Zedong, founder of the People's Republic of China. Shaoshan was an important base during the Chinese Communist Revolution.
Shaoshan residents have capitalised on their most well-known resident such that the city is also the birthplace of Mao's Family Restaurant, a restaurant chain that has spread to many other cities. On the one hand, driven economy in many rural areas. On the other hand, spreading the Chinese nation's traditional culture and let people know more about Chinese nation's traditional culture.
Mao remains a popular figure in the area.
|Name||Hanzi||Population (2005)||Area (Km2)||Note|
Population: city consists of 100,000 residents of which 16,000 are non-farmers. The total land area is 210 square kilometres (81 sq mi).
Geography: in the Hunan province of Hunan in the east-central hilly region, the geographical coordinates of longitude 112 ° 23'52 "-112 ° 38'13", latitude 27 ° 51'40 "-28 ° 1'53".
Topography: hilly areas. The city's development over the whole territory of the formation, geological structure is complicated. Hills, gurgling streams, red soil segment is connected.
Shaoshan City administers two towns (镇/鎮) and six rural towns (乡/鄉) including:
- Qingxi (清溪镇/清溪鎮)
- Yintian (银田镇/銀田鎮)
- Ruyi (如意乡/如意鄉)
- Shaoshan (韶山乡/韶山鄉)
- Yanglin (杨林镇/楊林鄉)
- Daping (大坪镇/大坪鄉)
- Yongyi (永义乡/永義鄉)
Names and administrative levels of Shaoshan:
- 1652 (Qing Dynasty): Qidu (七都), Xiangtan District (縣)
- 1912 (Republic of China): The Second District (第二區), Xi Township (西鄉), Xiangtan County
- December 1932: The Ninth District, Xiangtan County
- 1947: Qingtian Township, Xiangtan County
- January 1950 (People's Republic of China): The Third District, Xiangtan County
- 1951: The Fourth District, Xiangtan County
- August 1, 1955: Yintian District, Xiangtan County
- 1956: Yintian Town, Xiangtan County
- September 1, 1958: Shaoshan People's Commune, Xiangtan County
- May 12, 1961: Shaoshan District, Xiangtan County
- December 1968: county-controlled district status upgraded to regional district (地級區), controlled directly by the province
- December 1981: reverted to be county-controlled
- December 1984: upgraded to county-class district (縣級區), controlled by Xiangtan City
- December 26, 1990: Upgraded to county-class city, controlled by Xiangtan City on behalf of the province.