SharePointLMS course screenshot
|Stable release||2nd / 15th of April 2009|
|Type||Learning Management System|
|Industry||Educational Software: eLearning|
SharePointLMS is a Learning Management System which is based on the Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 & WSS3.0 platform. SharePointLMS is an .Net-based application that is designed to be scalable, reliable, and secure. SharePointLMS is SCORM 1.2 and 2004 compliant and enables users to import courses either created using SCORM Rapid Elearning authoring tools or off the shelf acquired SCORM packages.
SharePointLMS was developed in 2007 at the request and in cooperation with the Danish division of Microsoft Corp. Educational Group to bring e-Learning into organizations and institutions that use the Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 & WSS3.0 platform.
The main competitor officially included into Microsoft Learning Gateway package - open source project SharePoint Learning Kit (SLK) had limited functionality. SharePointLMS was designed as full blown LMS to provide vast e-Learning features for customers. Early January 2008 SharePointLMS version 1 was released making its debut at BETT 2008.
In addition to the standard learning management systems features such as Chat, Discussion, Forum, Homework and Drop Box, SharePointLMS offers the new features like:
- Advanced documents management tool, which helps to create, edit, sort, store documents and create links to documents used in other document libraries
- Built-in authoring tools - quiz maker and Question Pool, which allows teacher not just create quizzes, but to keep a Pool of questions for future use in quizzes or exams
- Live conference tool to create a Virtual Interactive Classroom based on MS Communications Server
- Learning Path is the chosen route, taken by a learner through a range of (commonly) e-learning activities, which allows them to build knowledge progressively. This SharePointLMS feature provides the teachers with a tool to create the set of conditions to ensure students do not skip parts of the lesson
- GradeBook to record the grades of the students and issue course certificates if applicable
- Course Statistics, each course has a statistical report showing information such as the most active users, which areas / tools are used in the course. This can be filtered down to an individual student
- SharePointLMS comes with a build in Blackboard converter enabling users of Blackboard to reuse their existing course materials.
SharePointLMS has been demonstrated at a variety of major educational conferences. Partners and vendors' representatives participated in LearnX (Australia), NECC (USA), Educause (USA), Uddannelsesforum (DK), Microsoft's Global Education Partner Summit (USA), BETT (UK), LEARNTEC (Germany) and eLearnExpo (Russia).
- Microsoft Education Blog. Write up by Microsoft Education UK.
- SharePointLMS at South Cheshire College. Presentation slides and description.
- The Dutch Universities system review (on Dutch language)
- Queens University features usage review
- System case study. Implementation of SharePoint LMS at Skive Business College