||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2010)|
Type of site
|Social Bookmarking and Sharing Tool|
The ShareThis button is an all-in-one widget that lets people share any content on the Web with friends via e-mail, AIM, or text message. Shar.es is the URL shortener for ShareThis.com. The widget can also keep an account of personal contacts so that users can send an e-mail, IM, or text message with favorite links to friends.  The button can be deployed on any site to drive traffic, stimulate viral activity, and track the sharing of content. Toolbar versions exist for Firefox, Mozilla Application Suite and Internet Explorer, and customized widgets are available for leading blog publisher sites including Blogger, TypePad and WordPress.
ShareThis was founded by Dr. David E. Goldberg, engineering professor at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Tim Schigel, then a Director at Blue Chip Venture Company (“Blue Chip”). ShareThis owns an exclusive license, with the University of Illinois, for Dr. Goldberg’s patent applications in the area of genetic algorithms and machine learning for the purposes of information discovery and learning from sharing behavior. ShareThis has headquarters in San Francisco, CA and Cincinnati, OH. Investors include IllinoisVENTURES and DFJ Mercury.
ShareThis can be found on many popular blogs. ShareThis can also be used directly from a browser by downloading the ShareThis button. ShareThis allows users to import contacts from e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Facebook, MySpace, AIM, and Outlook. A history is kept in the users personal ShareBox. ShareThis has developed a plug-in for Blogger, TypePad and WordPress blog publishing sites.
- for a more complete list of sites please see List of social bookmarking websites
- "AboutUs" (EDITABLE WIKI). Website profile. AboutUs.org. January 21, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Shar.es Safety Report". safety report. IsTheWebSafe.com. January 21, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
Shar.es is not listed in DMoz, the most comprehensive human-reviewed directory of the web
- "Publisher widget ShareThis raises $15 million, Source:CNET".
- Harris, Scott Duke (2010-03-03). "Harris: Startup ShareThis joins rush to find money in buzz". Mercury News. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Schonfeld, Erick (2010-03-01). "ShareThis Introduces The Share Stream". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Burkitt, Laurie (2010-02-22). "ShareThis Wants To Help Publishers Find Influencers". Forbes. Archived from the original on 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Needle, David (2009-02-20). "ShareThis Expands Social Widget". Internet News. Jupiter Media. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Needleman, Rafe (2008-09-22). "Is ShareThis the next Digg?". Webware. CNET. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- McCarthy, Megan (2008-03-13). "ShareThis Lands Another $15M in Funding". Wired. Conde Nast. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Olsen, Stefanie (2008-03-13). "Publisher widget ShareThis raises $15 million". CNET. Retrieved 2010-04-08.