The Open Share Icon (or Shareaholic icon) is designed to help users easily identify shareable content. The icon aims to convey the act of sharing visually by representing one hand passing an object to another hand, while also representing an eye meaning "look at this." The icon was designed by the company Shareaholic, and made available under a Creative Commons share-alike license, with the restriction that “clear attribution and a hyperlink back to this page in a prominent location near to the image is required”.
The Open Share Icon is supported by Ken Rossi (creator of the widely used OPML icons) and Bruce McKenzie (GeoTag icons), and is used by hundreds of websites and applications, including SmugMug (over 2 million users), the Shareaholic Firefox addon (over sixty thousand users), Wikia, NetworkWorld, Weather Underground, Princeton University, and Google. It is also proposed for use in the Mozilla Add-ons Directory.
A share icon was introduced in 2006, known as the Share Icon, used by ShareThis and licensed under four licenses: the share-alike GPL and LGPL, and the permissive BSD license and Creative Commons Attribution 2.5. ShareThis produces widgets for accessing social networking services from a single pop-up menu.
The Free Share Icon was created to be a freely usable icon whose goal is to encourage everyone to settle on a single symbol that can be used without copyright restrictions. It is distributed under the No Rights Reserved license.
- In iOS's iWork, for sharing work on iWork.com.
- In Mobile Safari, to show a menu of options: "Add Bookmark," "Add to Home Screen," "Mail Link to this Page," and "Print."
- In QuickTime X, to show the iTunes, MobileMe Gallery, YouTube, and trim options
The Noun Project
The Noun Project created this icon in 2010 as part of its mission to organize and add to the highly recognizable symbols used to by visual communication. It is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
- "Compete.com Traffic Profile". Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Mozilla Add-ons Directory". Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Mozilla Bug #504711". Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Share Icon Project - An icon to represent 'sharing': posting to social sites, sending by e-mail, etc". Shareicons.com. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- "Share Icon Project - An icon to represent 'sharing': posting to social sites, sending by e-mail, etc". Shareicons.com via Internet Archive. Retrieved 2007-07-03.
- "Free Share Icon". Retrieved 2014-04-23.
- "iWork - iWork.com News - Using iWork.com On Your iPad". Apple. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This graphical user interface article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|