April 14, 1954 |
|Education||Tufts University (B.S.) Boston University (J.D.)|
|Spouse(s)||Yitzhak Aharon Korff (divorced; 3 children)|
|Parents||Sumner Redstone and Phyllis Gloria Raphael (1944–1999)|
Shari Ellin Redstone (born April 14, 1954) is a media executive with a background in numerous aspects of the entertainment industry and related ventures. She currently serves as the president of National Amusements as well as vice-chairwoman of CBS Corporation and Viacom. Through National Amusements, Shari Redstone and her family are majority owners of CBS Corporation, Viacom, MTV Networks, BET, and the film studio Paramount Pictures, and are equal partners in MovieTickets.com.
Education and personal life
Shari is the daughter of Sumner Redstone and Phyllis Gloria Raphael and sister of Brent Redstone. Her grandfather was Michael Redstone (who changed his name from Michael Rothstein). She holds a Bachelor of Science from Tufts University, graduating in 1975. She received her law degrees at Boston University School of Law in 1978 (LLB) and in 1980 (LLM). She practiced corporate law, estate planning and criminal law in the Boston area before joining National Amusements.
Since 1999, she has been President of National Amusements, one of the top 10 movie exhibitors in the United States. Ms. Redstone has expanded the company's international footprint and its exploration of new technologies.
In 2000, while at National Amusements, Ms. Redstone entered the Russian theater market, giving patrons there the opportunity to experience high-end luxury theaters. In 2010, Ms. Redstone and her partners purchased the theaters that they had built and formed Rising Star Media, of which she was Chairman, and turned it into the top grossing cinema chain in that country. Shari and her partners sold Rising Star Media in 2011
In 2011, Ms. Redstone became Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Advancit Capital, LLC, an investment platform focusing on early stage in media, entertainment and technology. In addition, she is Co-Chairman of MovieTickets.com, Inc. and is a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee for the National Theatre Owners Association (NATO).
In 2007, Redstone and her father feuded publicly over issues of corporate governance and the future of the cinema chain. Documents have been made public which verify that, as part of a settlement from Sumner's first divorce, all of Sumner's stock is in irrevocable trusts that will be left to his grandchildren. The trusts are said to make it clear that Shari Redstone, Vice-Chairwoman of the Board of Viacom and CBS, is to assume her father's role upon his death.
Shari Redstone is currently a member of the Board of Directors at Combined Jewish Philanthropies and the Board of Trustees at Dana Farber Cancer Institute. She is also on the Board of Directors of The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University and the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation. Ms. Redstone recently joined the Board and Executive Committee of “Our Time”, a mass-membership organization that stands for the economic interests and political inclusion of young Americans aged 18–30. She sits on the Local Advisory Board and Executive Committee for BUILD, a non-profit organization which uses entrepreneurship to propel low income youth through high school and into college.
- "Shari Redstone". Forbes. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Sumner M. Redstone". CBS Corporation. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- [dead link]
- "List of Private Companies Worldwide, Letter - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "statisticscircuits". natoonline.org. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "Shari Redstone Says U.S. Has Too Many Cinemas, ‘Thousands’ Should Close - Bloomberg". Mobile.bloomberg.com. 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Foxboro, MA: National Amusements Debuts New Upscale Cinema Concept at Patriot Place - The BigScreen Cinema Guide". Bigscreen.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "4/30/2002, The Bridge: Cinema De Lux - Almanac, Vol. 48, No. 32". Upenn.edu. 2002-04-30. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "National Amusements Moves to a Digital Future with Sony 4K Digital Cinema... - PARK RIDGE, N.J., Oct. 7 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Sumner Redstone's Daughter Shari Launches Media, Tech Investment Firm". The Hollywood Reporter. 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- [dead link]
- Eller, Claudia (2010-01-08). "Shari Redstone buys Russian theaters from her family firm - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Shari Redstone's Rising Star Media sold to Russian theater chain - latimes.com". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Shari Redstone Makes Huge Profit By Selling Russian Theaters For $190 Million". Forbes. 2011-09-06. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- James, Meg (2011-08-27). "Shari Redstone launches investment firm Advancit Capital - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Shari Redstone". CBS Corporation. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Redstone says he relies on his instinct - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2007-09-19. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Redstone family rift may not be healed - Los Angeles Times". Latimes.com. 2007-08-02. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Press Releases". CASAColumbia. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Board of Directors - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum". Jfklibrary.org. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Local Advisory Board | BUILD Greater Boston". Buildinboston.org. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- The Talented Ms. Redstone (2002)
- Tufts E-News: Media Mogul In Training (May 2, 2002)
- Shari Redstone Is Expected To Leave Viacom's Board (July 19, 2007)
- Father Daughter Split at Viacom (2007-07-30)