Sharlene San Pedro
|Sharlene San Pedro|
Sharlene San Pedro backstage during "ASAP Fans Day" on 18 May 2014
5 April 1999 |
Pulilan, Bulacan, Philippines
|Other names||Nyanyi, Bebe, Shar, Sharlot, Sharleng, Sharshar|
|Occupation||Actress, Singer, Dancer|
|Agent||Star Magic (2004–present)|
|Known for||Gigi in Mga Anghel na Walang Langit
Sarah in Princess Sarah
Shirley in Luv U
She made her first television appearance at the age of five ever since joining ABS-CBN's talent search Star Circle Quest: Kids Edition in 2004, where she got in the "Magic Circle of 5" and won as first runner-up. She is known for portraying the role of Gigi in Mga Anghel na Walang Langit in 2005, as well as being chosen among all the child actresses of ABS-CBN to reprise the role of Princess Sarah in 2007.
San Pedro receives her first acting award as the "Most Popular Child Actress" by the Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation in 2009. In 2012, San Pedro was nominated in the 17th Asian Television Awards as Best Actress in a Lead-Drama Role for her portrayal as a teenage mother in Maalaala Mo Kaya's episode: "T-Shirt".
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Public image
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Discography
- 6 Endorsements
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Sharlene San Pedro was born on 5 April 1999 in Pulilan, Bulacan, Philippines. She is the second child of parents Hector, a business man, and Myleen and has an older brother, Jeremy, and a younger one named Clark. She attended Sto. Cristo Elementary School during kindergarten.
2004: Star Circle Quest
In 2004, San Pedro joined the reality-based talent competition named Star Circle Quest on ABS-CBN. Together with the other contestants, San Pedro had undergone talent training, physical enhancement and different challenges to test their talent skills. Her reason for joining the said talent show was because she wants to be like Sharon Cuneta one day. During this period, she admires celebrities John Prats, Heart Evangelista, and Sarah Geronimo. She managed to be in the "Magic Circle of 5" with fellow competitors Nash Aguas, Aaron Junatas, Mikylla Ramirez, and CJ Navato. During the "Grand Questors Night held on 5 June 2004 in Araneta Coliseum, San Pedro got the first runner-up award . Since then, she became a part of Star Magic with an exclusive contract with ABS-CBN.
She got her first acting career in the series Judy Ann Santos' Krystala, where she portrayed the young Faith/Tala. She also played Ginny in one of Wansapanataym's episodes. Together with Aguas, she is seen with a magical book inside a chest in every prologue and epilogue of the said show.
2005-2006: Goin' Bulilit, Mga Anghel na Walang Langit and Calla Lily
In February 2005, San Pedro was cast in the newly-launched sketch comedy gag show, Goin Bulilit, featuring children in various comedic situations. She is one of the main casts until 2011 where she graduated with Nash Aguas, Mika dela Cruz, Aaliyah Benisano, and Noemi Oñeza. The "Seventh Batch Graduates" left due to the fact that the show is for kids, while they are already growing up older.
Aside from being one of the original mainstays in Goin Bulilit, San Pedro also starred in OK Fine Whatever sitcom, again, with Aguas. In addition, she is one of the main casts in Mga Anghel na Walang Langit, portraying as Gigi. The series that depicts the lives of exploited and unfortunate children involves heavy drama acting, in which San Pedro is good at (crying easily on demand).
The next year, San Pedro is cast to act two different characters on ABS-CBN's television series entitled Calla Lily. The series, which premiered on 29 May, is about Calla and Lily (both portrayed by her) who grew up in a small fishing village in Batangas. The twins have different characters: one is outspoken and naughty while the other is timid and shy, in which San Pedro is able to portray them both.
2007-2010: Princess Sarah, more projects and recognition
In 2007, San Pedro becomes the main lead once again in ABS-CBN's Princess Sarah after Calla Lily. The series is based on A Little Princess children's novel written by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It is also made into the Philippine film in 1995, starred by the young Camille Prats in Sarah... Ang Munting Prinsesa. The series stars San Pedro as Sarah, Albert Martinez and Sheryl Cruz among others. San Pedro addresses her happiness during their press conference on 8 November. She states: "Of course, I am very happy because I was given a very good role by ABS-CBN."[Note 1] She also cleared the rumors about her auditioning for the role as she was just called by the management and asked to do something. She states: "It is the production's decision. Also, I will still do my best; do everything that I can because I dream of being a good actress.[Note 2]
In 2008, Sharlene was chosen to portray the role of Young Selene in Erik Matti's series entitled Rounin. It is a fantasy and martial arts series shown in Philippine TV and is said to be one of the most expensive locally-produced TV series aired in the Philippines. It is also the first Filipino series shot using high-definition video technology. She was paired with Jairus Aquino who played as young Mythos. Mythos and Selene were the young lovers of Lumeria, who were also the main protagonist of the show. This was their first team-up in a primetime series.
The following year, San Pedro is cast on her first movie with Judy Ann Santos and Dennis Trillo entitled Mag-ingat Ka Sa... Kulam, portraying as Sophie, a blind girl and Mira's (Santos') daughter. Her role paved way for two nominations, "Best Film Child Performer" and "Movie Child Performer of the Year" from the 2008 Gawad Genio Awards and 25th PMPC Star Awards for Movies respectively. Consequently, her child role is followed by One True Love film starring Marian Rivera and Dingdong Dantes.
Sharlene once again appeared in a Primetime series. She was part of the cast of Kung Fu Kids, the first locally produced live-action fantasy series which tell the story of seven kids of different personalities united by a prophecy . She was portrayed the role of Reyna Ungga-Ungga, a queen of distant tribe in the series, who eventually helped the Kung Fu Kids in their battles. In this series, she was paired again with Jairus Aquino who portrayed Lembot, the leader of the Kung-Fu Kids
In 2009, San Pedro joins the cast of Kamoteng Kahoy, a film by Maryo J. de los Reyes. The film is based on a true story that happened in a small barrio in Bohol in 2005, wherein pupils were hospitalized, and some died, after eating cassava cakes containing chemicals. Besides the film, San Pedro is also cast in ABS-CBN's Pieta, portraying the role of Kakai V. Angeles. Sharlene was paired again with Jairus Aquino who portrayed Toto, Kakai's childhood friend who was always there to protect her.
San Pedro receives her first acting award as the "Most Popular Child Actress" by the Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation. Surprisingly, the person behind the organization, Corazon Samaniego, comes from the same place as hers, in Bulacan. In addition, she is nominated the "Best Comedy Actress" by the PMPC Star Awards for TV for two consecutive years since 2008 for her character roles in Goin Bulilit.
2011-present: Teenage years, international recognition and Luv U
San Pedro gets the role of young Mabel in the horror suspense film Segunda Mano. The film starring Kris Aquino (Mabel) and directed by Joyce Bernal is also an official entry to the 2011 Metro Manila Film Festival. The following year, she acts as Nene in the film Corazon: Ang Unang Aswang, as well as Sharlene in Larong Bata.
2011 is the turning point of San Pedro's life as she officially turns into a teenager, and left Goin Bulilit after six years. According to San Pedro, it was very hard for her to leave the show specially that other cast, particularly Aguas who had been with her ever since the start of their careers, and crew members have become close friends. In accordance, San Pedro gets more matured roles from now on. During this time, in addition, she focuses on her studies as well as grooming herself to prepare for her comeback as a teen actress. She states: "...the director said that we should get some rest first, lose weight, and gain height, so that when we come back, we will be different from our childhood days. We are already teenagers..."[Note 3]
During her career gap, she frequently stars in Maalaala Mo Kaya series, which features weekly real-life stories or anecdotes of common people or even famous celebrities and personalities through letter-sending. In particular, she performs as a teenage mother in "T-Shirt" episode, wherein she gains recognition internationally. During the 17th Asian Television Awards in 2012, she was nominated for "Best Actress in a Leading Role".
In 2012, San Pedro starred in the Independent Film Larong Bata, an advocay film of Exogain Production. This was a film promoted and supported by the Department on Education for it showed the effects of bullying among kids. The film received positive reviews and was frequently shown in the different schools in the Philippines.
In 2013, San Pedro stars in Star Cinema's Must Be Love released on 13 March. She plays the role of a supportive best friend, Lavinia, alongside Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla. In addition, she joins the new cast of ABS-CBN Luv U's second season. She portrays Shirley Bernardo, a teenage school girl who is partnered opposite Drake Lagdameo, portrayed by Jairus Aquino. After teaming-up in the series, San Pedro and Aquino are given another series entitled "Si Lulu at si Lili Liit" with Francis Magundayao. It is part of Wansapanataym series that will air one-month long starting 1 March. She will once again portray two characters: a young girl Lulu and her twin sister Lily, who is cursed to become as little as an elf.
San Pedro wishes for her to last long in the entertainment industry as well as becoming a famous actress. Her role model is Judy Ann Santos, dubbed as the "Teleserye Queen of the Philippines". At the same time, she also dreams of becoming a great director someday. As a matter of fact, she wants to have her favorite actress, Santos, as a leading star in her horror film someday.
Besides her acting skills, San Pedro also knows how to play guitar as well as singing. She occasionally does Acoustic Friday, a short clip of her singing and playing the guitar, which she posts on her Instagram account. In music, Taylor Swift and One Direction are her favorites. She also collects watches as she values time.
Before joining the entertainment world, San Pedro is attending kindergarten in Sto. Cristo Elementary School, San Jose del Monte, Bulacan. In 2007, she is taking the Home Study Program in The Sanctuary in order to avoid conflicts with her career. It is during her free time that she can do all of her lessons. At 9, San Pedro attends His Sanctuary Christian Academy in Bulacan as a grade four student. She does not attend regularly, however, but through modules as she is doing her job (as a child actress) at the same time.
She has been consistently one of the top students in her class as well as being very active in extra-curricular activities. In fact, she just recently finished fifth despite being part of the varsity team. She once competed in the yearly BULPRISA (Bulacan Private Schools Association Games) as a badminton player in 2012, and joins the volleyball team later on. She also joins the CAT program, with a rank of Cadet Provisionary Lieutenant in preparation before becoming an official officer.
At age 8, San Pedro already saved money from her earnings in working in the entertainment industry. As a matter of fact, she had helped her parents to build a bigger home as well as having their own car. She also strongly believes that she would not be arrogant despite having main roles, since she wants to be like Santos, her most admired actress, who is down-to-earth even after being recognized as one of the best actresses in the Philippines.
In 2013, San Pedro was ranked sixth on a poll for the "Philippines' Hottest 20 Stars Under 20" conducted by Starmometer.
The next year, in 2014, San Pedro is voted as the "Most Promising Young Female Star" by fans. On 26 March, Star Cinema created a poll on its website for the most promising young female star. The response from her fans is huge, having a total of 48.5% votes. The production company lists the reasons of her becoming the most promising star, which includes being a versatile teen actress, hard worker, talented, the next big thing, and being an inspiration to people.
In the same year, she, alongside with her current on-screen partner, Jairus Aquino, ranked fourth in another poll for the "Hottest Love Team" by the same website. Once again, fans voted for them, which garnered 14.03% of the total votes. Their loveteam, dubbed as "JaiLene", were just behind "Kath-Niel", "Vice-Rylle" and "Kim-Xi" loveteams.
On November 28, 2014 , Sharlene San Pedro and Jairus Aquino dubbed as JaiLene bagged the ASAP Pop Teen Popsies Award. This was their first nomination together and their first award in the ASAP Pop Viewer's choice awards.
|2008||Mag-ingat Ka Sa... Kulam||Sophie|
|One True Love||Sandra|
|2011||Segunda Mano||Young Mabel|
|2012||Larong Bata||Charming girl|
|Corazon: Ang Unang Aswang||Nene|
|2013||Must Be Love||Lavinia|
|2005||OK Fine Whatever||Sharlene|
|Mga Anghel Na Walang Langit||Gigi|
|Calla Lily||Calla and Lily (twin role)|
|Komiks Presents: "Sandok Ni Boninay"||Boninay|
|2007||Princess Sarah||Sarah Crewe|
|Ysabella||young Alex Mendoza|
|Love Spell Presents: "Hairy Harry"||Celine|
|Pedro Penduko at ang mga Engkantao||Monique|
|2008||Lobo||young Lyka Raymundo / Ulay|
|Kung Fu Kids||Reyna Ungga-Ungga|
|"Ice Cream"||young Charice Pempengco|
|Komiks Presents: Tiny Tony||Celine|
|"Wheel Chair"||young Bernadette|
|Tayong Dalawa||young Ingrid Martinez|
|"Kwintas" (Necklace)||young Myla|
|Kung Tayo'y Magkakalayo||young Selina|
|2011||"Sabay-Sabay Pasaway"||Hannah Ferrer|
|Your Song Presents: "Someone Like You"||Kim Fatima Martin|
|My Binondo Girl||young Amethyst Sy|
|2013||Luv U||Shirley Bernardo|
|"Si Lulu at si Lili Liit"||Lulu/Lili (twin role)|
|2004||Star Circle Quest||ABS-CBN|
|2009||It's Showtime: Kids Edition|
|2011||I Dare You|
|2013||Minute to Win It with Nash Aguas|
||Year of release||Track listing|
|My First Lessons with Jollibee (Series II)
Sharlene San Pedro and Nikki Bagaporo)
|My First Lessons with Jollibee
Sharlene San Pedro and Nikki Bagaporo)
Music video appearances
|2007||"Gusto Na Kita" (I Like You Already)|
This lists the past and present products endorsed by Sharlene San Pedro.
- Knorr Broth cubes campaign: "Makulay ang Buhay sa Sinabawang Gulay"
- Knorr Granules campaign: "Makulay ang Buhay sa Ginisang Gulay"
- Moose Kids' clothing: Moose Girls
- Zest-O juice
- Robby Rabbit
- Milo short series: Maki Makatarungan
- Nido Milk
- Coca-Cola: Breaktime with Luv U casts
Awards and nominations
Yahoo OMG Awards Love team Of The Year Nominated
|2004||Star Circle Quest||Grand Kid Questor||1st runner-up|
|2008||PMPC Star Awards For Movies||Movie Child Performer Of The Year||Mag-ingat Ka Sa... Kulam||Nominated|
|Gawad Genio Awards||Best Film Child Performer||Nominated|
|22nd PMPC Star Awards for TV||Best Comedy Actress||Goin Bulilit||Nominated|
|2009||40th GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Most Popular Child Actress||Won|
|23rd PMPC Star Awards for TV||Best Comedy Actress||Goin Bulilit||Nominated|
|2012||17th Asian TV Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Maalaala Mo Kaya: "T-Shirt" episode||Nominated|
|2014||10th ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice Awards||Pop Teen Popsies (with Jairus Aquino)||Won|
- Translated from the Filipino language: "Siyempre po, napakasaya ko pong talaga dahil binigyan po ako ng ABS-CBN ng isang napakagandang role po..."
- Translated from the Filipino language: "Nasa production naman po ‘yon. At saka, gagawin ko naman po ang lahat ng best ko dahil pangarap ko nga po na maging magaling na artista..."
- Translated from the Filipino language: "Hindi ko inexpect pero sinabi kasi ni direk na magpahinga daw muna kami, magpapayat, magpatangkad, yun...kailangan lang pag bumalik kami iba na, hindi na yung kagaya ng dati na mga bata. Teens na kami."
- "STAR CIRCLE QUEST: The Magic Continues". Sharlene San Pedro official website. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Sharlene San Pedro biography". IMDB. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Star Circle Quest Main Page, archived from the original on 6 June 2004, retrieved 23 April 2013
- "40th Box Office Entertainment Awards given out". Pep.ph. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Asian Television Awards 2012 Nominations List:Programming Awards". Asian Television Awards official website. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Sharlene San Pedro Biography". Sharlene San Pedro official website. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Star Circle Quest Bio Page, archived from the original on 11 June 2004, retrieved 26 April 2013
- The Grand Questors Night. Manila. June 2004. Event.
- Krystala. Perf. Judy Ann Santos. ABS-CBN. 2004. TV Series.
- Wansapanataym. ABS-CBN. 2004. TV Series.
- "Goin Bulilit". IMDB. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "PHOTOS: Goin Bulilit: 9 years after". Sharlene San Pedro official website. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Goin Bulilit About". Goin Bulilit. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Calla Lily. Dir. Maryo J. delos Reyes and Lino Cayetano. Perf. Sharlene San Pedro, Johnny Delgado, Ana Roces, and Gerald Madrid. ABS-CBN. 2005. TV Series.
- "Calla Lily, Primetime Bida’s Newest Kid on the Block". Sharlene San Pedro official website. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Burnett, Frances Hodgson (1905). A Little Princess. St. Nicholas Magazine. Print.
- ""Princess Sarah" cast members". Pep.ph. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Child actress Sharlene San Pedro gives life to "Princess Sarah"". Pep.ph. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Pag-iwas kay Rico, inamin ni Migz" "Journal", Last Retrieved 30 March 2007.
- "ABS-CBN launches biggest TV project" "Khaleej Times", Last Retrieved 27 March 2007.
- "Sharlene San Pedro in horror film with Juday". ABS-CBN Global. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "About: 3rd Gawad Genio Awards". DBPedia. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- ""Baler" leads with 13 nominations in 25th Star Awards for Movies". Pep.ph. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Kamoteng kahoy (2009): Full Cast & Crew". IMDB. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Kamoteng Kahoy graded A by the Cinema Evaluation Board". Pep.ph. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Pieta. Dir. Toto Natividad. Perf. Cherie Gil and Ryan Agoncillo. ABS-CBN. 2009. TV Series.
- "My Photo Awarding Sharlene San Pedro At The Guillermo Mendoza Awards, Revealed!". Sharlene San Pedro official website. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "The Box-Office Entertainment Awards". Philstar. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "PMPC bares nominees for "22nd Star Awards for Television"". Pep.ph. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "23rd Star Awards for Television nominees bared". Pep.ph. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Segunda Mano. Dir. Joyce Bernal. Perf. Kris Aquino and Dingdong Dantes. Star Cinema. 2011. Film.
- "Kris Aquino-Dingdong Dantes movie Segunda Mano set to start shooting this July". Pep.ph. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Corazon: Ang Unang Aswang. Dir. Richard Somes. Perf. Erich Gonzales and Derek Ramsay. Skylight Films, Reality Entertainment, and Strawdogs Studio. 2012. Film.
- "Larong bata". IMDB. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Goin' Bulilit: Nash Aguas, Sharlene San Pedro among 2011 graduates". Sharlene San Pedro official website. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Sharlene San Pedro says she enjoyed working with Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla". Pep.ph. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Maalaala Mo Kaya official website". Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "School is cool for these celebs". Yahoo. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "“LUV U” WELCOMES NEW ENROLLEES". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Sharlene, Jairus, and Francis start new love adventure in "Wansapanataym"". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Juday flattered over 'Teleserye Queen' tag". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "Sharlene San Pedro official account". Instagram. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "Sharlene's Watch Collection". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 2014-07-20.
- "Who is the most promising young female star?". Star Cinema. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "The Most Promising Young Female Star is…". Star Cinema. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "What makes Sharlene San Pedro ‘promising?’". Star Cinema. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "The 'most kilig' love team is…". Star Cinema. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "6CycleMind;6 Cyclemind - Gusto Na Kita". YouTube. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "TV Commercial". Sharlene San Pedro. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice 2014 winners announced". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-12-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sharlene San Pedro.|