Sharma is a surname found in India and Nepal as a surname or given name among upper class Brahmins.  As a noun in Sanskrit, Sharma has various positive connotations, such as "bliss", "happiness", "shelter", "laid back" and "protection."
The name Sharma is written as शर्मा in Hindi. An alternative English spelling of the name used in the city of Varanasi and the Indian states of Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala is "Sarma". Some Assamese people also use Sarmah.
According to Dictionary of American Family Names, the name Sharma is listed as "Indian: Hindu (Brahman) name from Sanskrit šarma ‘joy’, ‘shelter’." Other theories suggest that origin of the name Sharma lies in the ancient Sanskrit word "Sharman" which means teacher or master.
According to Indian sociologist, S. Devadas Pillai, "The suffix Sharma indicates that the chanter is a Brahman..."
People with surname Sharma/Sarma
- Adah Sharma, Hindi-language film actress
- Amit Sharma, cricketer
- Anil Sharma, director, producer, writer in Indian cinema
- Anuj Sharma, singer
- Anushka Sharma, Hindi-language film actress
- Aribam Syam Sharma, filmmaker
- Arun Kumar Sarma, politician
- Arun Sharma, Assamese writer and playwright
- B. N. Sarma, lawyer, politician and freedom fighter
- B. D. Sharma, first Chief Minister of Haryana
- Benudhar Sharma, historian
- Brajanath Sarma, Assamese playwright and actor
- Charu Sharma, cricket commentator
- Charu Sharma, Indian athlete and explorer
- Chris Sharma, rock climber
- Deepak Sarma, Professor of Hinduism and Indian Philosophy
- Divyendu Sharma, actor
- G. R. Sharma, historian
- Himanta Biswa Sarma, politician
- Ishant Sharma, cricketer
- Janamanchi Seshadri Sarma, a Telugu poet.
- Kapil Sharma, comedian
- Karan Sharma, Bollywood actor
- Karan Sharma, television actor
- Karan Sharma, cricketer
- Karn Sharma, cricketer
- Kavana Sarma, engineer
- K. V. Sarma, science historian
- Mani Sharma, music director
- Mohit Sharma, cricketer
- Neha Sharma, actress
- Parvez Sharma, writer and filmmaker
- Phani Sarma, playwright and actor
- Rajan Sarma, Tamil-language actor
- Rajat Sharma
- Rajiv Sharma, New Zealand-born cricketer
- Rakesh Sharma, first Indian in space
- Ram Avatar Sharma, Sanskrit scholar
- Ram Karan Sharma, Sanskrit poet
- Ram Sharan Sharma, historian
- Ram Vilas Sharma, linguist and literary critic
- Rohit Sharma, cricketer
- Robin Sharma, author
- Sankar Das Sarma, Indian-born American scientist
- Shankar Dayal Sharma, former President of India
- Shivkumar Sharma, santoor player
- Shreya Sharma, child actor
- Tara Sharma, Hindi-language film actress
- Tarali Sarma, Singer
- Vishnu Sharma, writer of Panchatantra
- Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4
- the Etymology and History of First Names. Behind the Name. Retrieved on 2011-10-20.
- Assamese Surnames. Languageinindia.com (2003-04-04). Retrieved on 2011-10-20.
- S. Devadas Pillai (1 January 1997). Indian sociology through Ghurye, a dictionary. Popular Prakashan. pp. 342–. ISBN 978-81-7154-807-1. Retrieved 20 October 2011.