Sharon Beder is a professor in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Wollongong in New South Wales, Australia. Her research has focused on how power relationships are maintained and challenged, particularly by corporations and professions. She has written 10 books, and many articles, book chapters and conference papers, as well as designing teaching resources and educational websites.
Professor Beder initially trained and worked as a civil engineer before becoming interested in the social, political and philosophical aspects of engineering and then environmental politics. She completed a PhD in Science and Technology Studies at the University of NSW in 1989 based on research into the process of engineering decision-making using a case study on the development of Sydney's sewerage system.
Before joining the University of Wollongong in 1992, Beder was Environmental Education Co-ordinator at the University of Sydney. She has also been Chairperson of the Environmental Engineering Branch of the Institution of Engineers, Sydney, President of the Society for Social Responsibility in Engineering, and a director of the Earth Foundation Australia.
Professor Beder was included in a list of "Australia's most influential engineers", published by Engineers Australia in 2004. She was also included in Bulletin Magazine's "Smart 100" in 2003. Awards received include:
- World Technology Award for Ethics, 2001
- High Commendation for IEAust Award for Cultural Change in Engineering Education, 1998
- Michael Daly Prize for Excellence in Science, Technology and Engineering Journalism, 1992
- Media Prize, Australian Surfers Hall of Fame, 1990
- Environmental Principles and Policies (UNSW Press, Sydney, Australia Paperback, ISBN 978-0-86840-857-6, Publication date: September 2006) & EARTHSCAN, London, UK Paperback, ISBN 978-1-84407-404-4, Publication date: October 2006).
- Global Spin: The Corporate Assault on Environmentalism (Green Books, Devon, UK, October 1997, 2nd edition – May 2002, ISBN 1-903998-09-3)
- Suiting Themselves
- Beder, Sharon (2003). Power Play: : The fight for control of the world's electricity. Australia: Scribe Publications. ISBN 0-908011-97-0.
- Beder, Sharon (2000). Selling the work ethic: : From puritan pulpit to corporate PR. Australia: Scribe Publications. ISBN 0-908011-48-2.
- "The Corporate Assault on Democracy," The International Journal of Inclusive Democracy, Vol. 4, No. 1 (January 2008).
- "Ecofeminism and Globalisation: A Critical Appraisal," Democracy & Nature, Vol. 7, No. 2 (July 2001). with Jasmin Sydee. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- Environmental Principles and Policies
- Global Spin: The Corporate Assault on Environmentalism
- Suiting Themselves
- Dioxin controversy
- Big business dominates educational planning
- ”Contributors,” Democracy & Nature, Vol. 7, No. 2 (July 2001). Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- Sharon Beder's Publications
- Sharon Beder
- Beder, Sharon in The Encyclopedia of Women and Leadership in Twentieth-Century Australia