Sharon L. Kennedy
|Sharon L. Kennedy|
|Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court|
December 7, 2012
|Preceded by||Yvette McGee Brown|
March 15, 1962 |
Hamilton County, Ohio
Sharon L. Kennedy was born March 15, 1962 in Hamilton County, Ohio. She graduated from Northwest High School in 1980, and from the University of Cincinnati School of Social Work with a bachelor's degree in 1984 and the University of Cincinnati College of Law, (Juris Doctor), in 1991.
Kennedy was a police officer with the Hamilton, Ohio Police Department from 1985 to 1989. She was then a law clerk for Judge Matthew J. Crehan and director of the victim/witness division for the Butler County Court of Common Pleas from 1989 to 1991.
After receiving a law degree, Kennedy was:
- in private practice, 1991 to 1998
- disciplinary counsel for the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 38, representing police officers during disciplinary hearings, 1991 to 1998.
- Special Counsel for Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery, 1995 to 1998
- Warrant and Compliance Officer, Butler County Juvenile Court, 1996 to 1997
- Magistrate and Warrant Officer, Butler County Area Courts, 1995 to 1998
Kennedy entered the March 6, 2012 Republican Party primary election for the unexpired term ending December 31, 2014 on the Supreme Court of Ohio. She ran unopposed, and received 753, 072 complimentary votes. On November 6, 2012, she defeated incumbent Democratic candidate Yvette McGee Brown, who had been appointed to the seat on January 1, 2011 by Ohio Governor Ted Strickland. She was sworn in December 7, 2012, after the election was certified.
- "Hon. Sharon Lee Kennedy". findlaw. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Candidate profiles: Ohio Supreme Court Justice - Ohio Supreme Court Justice Unexpired term, ending Dec. 31, 2014". The Repository. August 10, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Biography of Sharon L. Kennedy". Ohio Republican Party. November 24, 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "credentials". Sharon Kennedy for Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- Husted, Jon. "Election Information - Republican Supreme Court - March 6, 2012". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Newly elected Ohio Supreme Court justice sworn in". San Fransisco Chronicle. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2012-12-08.