November 28, 1981
Newton, Iowa, USA
Aaron Coady (born November 28, 1981), better known by his stage name Sharon Needles, is an American drag performer and recording artist. A self-described "stupid genius, reviled sweetheart, and PBR princess," Needles rose to prominence on the fourth season of the Logo reality competition series RuPaul's Drag Race, where he quickly became a fan favorite and was subsequently crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar" in April 2012.
Needles was born Aaron Coady on November 28, 1981 in Newton, Iowa. He has been candid in discussing his childhood years growing up in Iowa as a difficult time when he faced anti-gay and anti-"outsider" harassment, which prompted him to drop out of school before he could complete his high school education. In 2004, Needles moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he began working as a professional drag performer in nightclubs and various other venues with the drag troupe "the Haus of Haunt", which Needles describes as "one punk rock, messy mash up of very talented, fucked up weirdos."
In November 2011, it was announced that Needles had been selected to compete as a contestant on the fourth season of RuPaul's Drag Race. The series premiered on January 30, 2012, and Needles was an instant stand-out for his "ghoulish" fashion sense and unconventional make-up choices. On the night of the premiere episode, Entertainment Weekly columnist Tanner Stransky hailed Needles' macabre style as "drop dead genius" and rhetorically asked "Is Sharon Needles the most 'sickening' (a drag term for 'fabulous') contestant ever?"
Throughout the fourth season of Drag Race, Needles endeared himself to audiences and became a favorite of the media, judges, and viewers alike for his quick wit, confidence, and humility, as well as for his "transgressive" aesthetic. On March 27, 2012, Lady Gaga tweeted – "Sharon Needles looks FABULOUS 2night on drag race. Very Born This Way outfit/fame monster wig. Any rentals for my tour? #needthatbodysuit." However, Needles himself admitted that he was ambivalent in believing that he could win stating, "(B)eing a comedic, campy, shtick queen and seeing how far those types of queens made it in past seasons, I would have been shocked if I made it past the first day."
In a departure from previous seasons of Drag Race, where rumors of previous winners had leaked before the final episodes could air, the decision was made not to pre-tape the finale episode announcing the season's winner. Instead, RuPaul decided to give fans an opportunity to voice their opinions as to who should win before taping of the final episode on April 25, 2012. For the taping, three outcomes were filmed announcing each of the "final 3" as the winner, with the true outcome only known to RuPaul and a select few involved in the editing. The finale episode aired on April 30, 2012, when it was announced that Needles had been crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar".
In June 2012, Needles won the Facebook vote to appear as a contestant on RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race, but declined, as the reigning champion, to participate in the competition. He also confirmed that his replacement in the competition would be fellow RuPaul's Drag U professor and the runner-up in the Facebook voting, Pandora Boxx.
In October 2012, Needles became the face of an advertising campaign by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals promoting vegetarianism, appearing on billboards throughout the United States.
In June 2012 Needles signed an autograph to an audience member, “Love you, Nigger” prompting a protest and calls for the LGBT community to withdraw its support of him. During an interview with The GA Voice Sharon and local protesters discussed his use of the n word, with Needles concluding “If it means anything I have taken it out of my repertoire of language. I can’t fight this one anymore. This is one I lost.”
In an August 2012 interview with out.com he is reported as using the word to end a phone call to his mother: “She’s been called out for her use of racist and transphobic epithets and at one point had an Atlanta performance protested because of her un-PC ways. She was unsparing in her use of similar language during our talks, at one point leaving a voicemail for her mother (she dialed the number on my phone with her tongue) and signing off with the N word.”
In late 2012 a video from 2010 surfaced showing Needles dressed in a robe with his face painted in her approximation of a geisha. He informs the viewer that he ordered Chinese delivery and is intending on harassing the delivery driver, assuming that person would be Chinese. When a white delivery driver shows instead Sharon is heard saying, “Chinese people are late. Good thing you’re white.”
- PG-13 (2013)
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race||Himself||Winner|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race: Untucked||Himself|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag U||Himself|
|2013||Watch What Happens: Live||Himself||Season 9, Episode 67: "Laura Linney & John Benjamin Hickey"|
|2013||She's Living for This||Himself||Season 2, Episode 1|
- Sharon Needles. "Sharon Needles – Obitchuary". SharonNeedles.com. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Maria Sciullo (April 30, 2012). "Sharon Needles crowned 'Drag Race' queen". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Maria Sciullo (April 21, 2012). "Reality Check: Sharon Needles makes 'Drag' Finals". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Daniel McEvily (April 26, 2012). "Hail Sharon". Baltimore Gay Life.
- Jeffrey James Keyes (December 20, 2011). "A Drag Race Christmas: Sharon Needles". Queerty.com.
- just who did create the haus of haunt
- Primera Hora (November 15, 2011). "Dos "dragas" boricuas en el reality show de RuPaul". PrimeraHora.com.
- Mark O. Estes (April 30, 2012). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Why Sharon Needles Deserves To Win". TVOvermind.com.
- Tanner Stransky (January 30, 2012). "Is Sharon Needles the most 'sickening' contestant ever?". Entertainment Weekly.
- Joey Guerra (April 30, 2012). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Happy Halloween". The Houston Chronicle.
- Chris Spargo (April 26, 2012). "Sharon Needles Talks 'Drag Race', Beyonce & Boyfriend". NewNowNext.com.
- Lady Gaga (March 26, 2012). "Sharon Needles looks FABULOUS...". Twitter.
- Lindsay Robertson (March 27, 2012). "Lady Gaga Tweets Her Love Of Sharon Needles' Look". NewNowNext.com.
- Tanner Stransky (April 26, 2012). "On the Scene at 'RuPaul's Drag Race: Reunited'". Entertainment Weekly.
- Tanner Stransky (April 30, 2012). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' winner speaks out". Entertainment Weekly.
- Chris Spargo (June 21, 2012). "Sharon Needles Explains Why She Won’t Be On ‘RuPaul’s All Stars Drag Race’". NewNowNext.com.
- Spargo, Chris (August 29, 2012). "‘FEARce! Hosted By Sharon Needles’ Coming To Logo This October". New Now Next. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Jacobs, Blake (19 April 2013). "Willam's "RuPaulogize": Never Too Late". World of Wonder. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Mueller, Benjamin (June 12, 2012). "Pittsburgh City Council honors drag queen with Sharon Needles Day". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Crawley, Dave (June 12, 2012). "‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Winner Sharon Needles Honored". KDKA. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Spargo, Chris (June 12, 2012). "It’s Sharon Needles Day In Pittsburgh: Video". NewNowNext.com. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Sharon Needles, Drag Queen, Stars In PETA Halloween 'Flesh-Eating' Ad". October 15, 2012. Retrieved October 28, 2012.
- Bagby, Dyana. "Sharon Needles meets with LGBT protesters before Atlanta show". The GA Voice. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Rathe, Adam. "The Devil and Miss Needles". OUT. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Aaron Coady (April 25, 2010). Sharon Needles Picks Up The Chinese Food.MOV (youtube video). United States. Unknown parameter
|youtube user=ignored (help)
- hellnoracistdrag. http://hellnoracistdrag.tumblr.com/post/26581592626/this-video-was-submitted-anonymously-by-a. Missing or empty
- "**She's Living For This**". here TV. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
|RuPaul's Drag Race winner
Season 4 (2012)