Sharon Needles in 2012
November 28, 1981
Newton, Iowa, USA
Sharon Needles (born November 28, 1981) is an American drag performer and recording artist. A self-described "stupid genius, reviled sweetheart, and PBR princess," Needles rose to prominence on the fourth season of the Logo reality competition series RuPaul's Drag Race, where she quickly became a fan favorite and was subsequently crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar" in April 2012.
Needles was born Aaron Coady on November 28, 1981 in Newton, Iowa. She has been candid in discussing her childhood years growing up in Iowa as a difficult time when she faced anti-gay and anti-"outsider" harassment, which prompted her to drop out of school before she could complete her high school education. In 2004, Needles moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where she began working as a professional drag performer in nightclubs and various other venues with the drag troupe "the Haus of Haunt", which Needles describes as "one punk rock, messy mash up of very talented, fucked up weirdos."
In November 2011, it was announced that Needles had been selected to compete as a contestant on the fourth season of RuPaul's Drag Race. The series premiered on January 30, 2012, and Needles was an instant stand-out for her "ghoulish" fashion sense and unconventional make-up choices. On the night of the premiere episode, Entertainment Weekly columnist Tanner Stransky hailed Needles' macabre style as "drop dead genius" and rhetorically asked "Is Sharon Needles the most 'sickening' (a drag term for 'fabulous') contestant ever?"
Throughout the fourth season of Drag Race, Needles endeared herself to audiences and became a favorite of the media, judges, and viewers alike for her quick wit, confidence, and humility, as well as for her "transgressive" aesthetic. On March 27, 2012, Lady Gaga tweeted – "Sharon Needles looks FABULOUS 2night on drag race. Very Born This Way outfit/fame monster wig. Any rentals for my tour? #needthatbodysuit." However, Needles herself admitted that she was ambivalent in believing that she could win stating, "(B)eing a comedic, campy, shtick queen and seeing how far those types of queens made it in past seasons, I would have been shocked if I made it past the first day."
In a departure from previous seasons of Drag Race, where rumors of previous winners had leaked before the final episodes could air, the decision was made not to pre-tape the finale episode announcing the season's winner. Instead, RuPaul decided to give fans an opportunity to voice their opinions as to who should win before taping of the final episode on April 25, 2012. For the taping, three outcomes were filmed announcing each of the "final 3" as the winner, with the true outcome only known to RuPaul and a select few involved in the editing. The finale episode aired on April 30, 2012, when it was announced that Needles had been crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar".
In June 2012, Needles won the Facebook vote to appear as a contestant on RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race, but declined, as the reigning champion, to participate in the competition. She also confirmed that her replacement in the competition would be fellow RuPaul's Drag U professor and the runner-up in the Facebook voting, Pandora Boxx.
In October 2012, Needles became the face of an advertising campaign by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals promoting vegetarianism, appearing on billboards throughout the United States.
Honors and awards
- PG-13 (2013)
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race||Himself||Winner|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race: Untucked||Himself|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag U||Himself|
|2013||Watch What Happens: Live||Himself||Season 9, Episode 67: "Laura Linney & John Benjamin Hickey"|
|2013||She's Living for This||Himself||Season 2, Episode 1|
- Sharon Needles. "Sharon Needles – Obitchuary". SharonNeedles.com. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Maria Sciullo (April 30, 2012). "Sharon Needles crowned 'Drag Race' queen". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Maria Sciullo (April 21, 2012). "Reality Check: Sharon Needles makes 'Drag' Finals". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Daniel McEvily (April 26, 2012). "Hail Sharon". Baltimore Gay Life.
- Jeffrey James Keyes (December 20, 2011). "A Drag Race Christmas: Sharon Needles". Queerty.com.
- just who did create the haus of haunt
- Primera Hora (November 15, 2011). "Dos "dragas" boricuas en el reality show de RuPaul". PrimeraHora.com.
- Mark O. Estes (April 30, 2012). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Why Sharon Needles Deserves To Win". TVOvermind.com.
- Tanner Stransky (January 30, 2012). "Is Sharon Needles the most 'sickening' contestant ever?". Entertainment Weekly.
- Joey Guerra (April 30, 2012). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Happy Halloween". The Houston Chronicle.
- Chris Spargo (April 26, 2012). "Sharon Needles Talks 'Drag Race', Beyonce & Boyfriend". NewNowNext.com.
- Lady Gaga (March 26, 2012). "Sharon Needles looks FABULOUS...". Twitter.
- Lindsay Robertson (March 27, 2012). "Lady Gaga Tweets Her Love Of Sharon Needles' Look". NewNowNext.com.
- Tanner Stransky (April 26, 2012). "On the Scene at 'RuPaul's Drag Race: Reunited'". Entertainment Weekly.
- Tanner Stransky (April 30, 2012). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' winner speaks out". Entertainment Weekly.
- Chris Spargo (June 21, 2012). "Sharon Needles Explains Why She Won’t Be On ‘RuPaul’s All Stars Drag Race’". NewNowNext.com.
- Spargo, Chris (August 29, 2012). "‘FEARce! Hosted By Sharon Needles’ Coming To Logo This October". New Now Next. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Jacobs, Blake (19 April 2013). "Willam's "RuPaulogize": Never Too Late". World of Wonder. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Sharon Needles, Drag Queen, Stars In PETA Halloween 'Flesh-Eating' Ad". October 15, 2012. Retrieved October 28, 2012.
- Mueller, Benjamin (June 12, 2012). "Pittsburgh City Council honors drag queen with Sharon Needles Day". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Crawley, Dave (June 12, 2012). "‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Winner Sharon Needles Honored". KDKA. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Spargo, Chris (June 12, 2012). "It’s Sharon Needles Day In Pittsburgh: Video". NewNowNext.com. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "**She's Living For This**". here TV. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Sharon Needles' official website
- The Devil and Miss Needles by Adam Rathe, Out Magazine, September 15, 2012
- Sharon Needles at the Internet Movie Database
|RuPaul's Drag Race winner
Season 4 (2012)