Sharon Township, Franklin County, Ohio
|Sharon Township, Franklin County, Ohio|
Location of Sharon Township in Franklin County.
|• Total||9.0 sq mi (23.4 km2)|
|• Land||9.0 sq mi (23.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||846 ft (258 m)|
|• Density||1,819.2/sq mi (702.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086114|
Sharon Township is one of the seventeen townships of Franklin County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 16,455 people in the township, 1,831 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Most of Sharon Township has been annexed by the cities of Westerville, in the northeast of the township, Worthington, in the center of the township, and Columbus (the county seat of Franklin County), around the edges of the township. The village of Riverlea is located in the central part of the township, south of Worthington.
Today, the township is composed of many small "islands," all of which border the city of Columbus. While some are completely surrounded by Columbus, several have other borders:
- In the northeast, one "island" is surrounded by Westerville, while another borders the city to the north and east
- In the north, one "island" borders Worthington to the south
- In the northwest, one "island" borders Perry Township to the west and Delaware County's Liberty and Orange Townships to the northwest and north respectively.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Franklin County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.