SharpOS (operating system)
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2008)|
|Company / developer||SharpOS Project|
|OS family||.NET C# |
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||0.0.1 / January 1, 2008 |
|Default user interface||Command line interface|
|License||GNU General Public License Version 3 with the GPL linking exception |
SharpOS was an open source .NET-C# based operating system  that was developed by a group of volunteers and presided over by a team of six project administrators (Mircea-Cristian Racasan, Bruce Markham, Johann MacDonagh, Sander van Rossen, Jae Hyun and William Lahti). It is no longer in active development, and resources have been moved to the MOSA project. This operating system is only one of two C# based operating systems released under an open source license. SharpOS has only one public version available  and a basic command line interface.
SharpOS began in November 2006  as a public discussion on the Mono development mailing list as a thread called Operating System in C#. After attracting many participants, Michael Schurter created the SharpOS.org wiki and mailing list to continue the discussion at a more relevant location. Soon after, the core developers (Bruce Markham, William Lahti, Sander van Rossen and Mircea-Cristian Racasan) decided that they would design their own AOT (Ahead-Of-Time) compiler to allow the operating system to run its boot sequence without using another programming language. Once the AOT compiler was far enough into development the team then started to code the kernel, this was met with long periods of inactivity and few active developers due to lack of interest in unsafe kernel programming. On 1 January 2008 the SharpOS team made their first milestone release public, this is the first version of the software to appear in the SharpOS SourceForge package repository available for general public use.
- "SharpOS - Info About SharpOS". SharpOS Project. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "M1 Announcement". SharpOS Project. Retrieved 2008-04-14.
- "SharpOS - License Agreement". SharpOS Project. Archived from the original on 2008-03-17. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "SourceForge.net - SharpOS Project Details". SourceForge. Retrieved 2008-04-14.[dead link]
- "Cosmos, one of the Opensource CSharp (C#) Based Kernels". obsethryl's lab. Retrieved 2008-04-14. "The two projects working on this the opensource way are SharpOS (licensing: GPLv3 + runtime exception, hosting: Sourceforge) and Cosmos (licensing: BSD style, hosting: CodePlex)."
- "SharpOS - Draft Publicity Article". SharpOS Project. Archived from the original on 2008-03-06. Retrieved 2008-04-13. "Only one year and two months ago"
- "SharpOS in the stream of C sharp (C#) kernels". obsethryl's lab. Retrieved 2008-04-14. - See Question 1
- "SourceForge.net - SharpOS Project Files". SourceForge. Retrieved 2008-04-15.