Shattered (2010 TV series)
|Starring||Callum Keith Rennie|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 + pilot|
|Executive producer(s)||Laszlo Barna
|Running time||44 minutes|
|Production company(s)||E1 Television
Force Four Films
Universal Networks International
|Original run||September 1, 2010– November 17, 2010|
Shattered is a Canadian police procedural series created by Rick Drew. The main character (played by Callum Keith Rennie) is a tough, smart homicide detective in Vancouver who suffers from dissociative identity disorder, also known as multiple personality disorder.
His wife Ella is played by Molly Parker. In the first moments of the series, Ben is bonded in blood to his determined, beautiful partner Amy Lynch. While they work to solve the murder cases that cross their desk daily, Ben copes with the fascinating complexities of his secret disorder, and the uncertainty of never knowing which alternate personality will surface, or when. Other regular characters of the series are Sergeant Pam ‘TC’ Garrett, John ‘Hall’ Holland a young, handsome and ambitious detective, and Terry Rhodes, Ben’s best friend and ex-partner.
The pilot for the series was shot in November 2008. In an interview with Rennie in 2008, the show's plot was described as a police procedural drama, following the adventures of an ex-cop, Kyle Loggins, traumatized by the murder of his family. According to this interview and press releases, the trauma triggered a dissociative identity disorder, wherein the victim manifests multiple personalities. In the pilot, Kyle's personalities include Jack, his brash alpha-male alter ego; Hal, the teenage nerd who personifies Kyle’s analytical and introverted side; and Tyler, the quiet little boy who surfaces when he is at his most vulnerable. Kyle teams up  with rookie policewoman Madeline Maguire who exploits Kyle’s unique investigative abilities.
Cast in Pilot
- Kyle Loggins... Callum Keith Rennie
- Det. Madeline Maguire... Laura Jordan
- Jack... Colin Cunningham
- Det. Bruce Catelli... John Cassini
- Inspector Roscoe... Brian Markinson
- Hal... Chad Krowchuk
- Tyler... Quinn Lord
- Dr. Lynn Tanninger... Gabrielle Rose
- Nora... Michele Lonsdale Smith
- Raveena Sood... Daesha Danielle Usman
- Amita Sandhu... Rekha Sharma
- Hostess (as Julia Anderson)... Julia Benson
- Oliver Quinn... Ian Tracey
- Akbar Sood... Sugith Varughese
- Bouncer... Viv Leacock
- Ben Sullivan... Callum Keith Rennie
- Ella Sullivan... Molly Parker
- Amy Lynch... Camille Sullivan
- Sergeant Pam ‘TC’ Garrett... Karen LeBlanc
- John ‘Hall’ Holland... Clé Bennett
- Patrick Michaels... Chad Rook
- Terry Rhodes... Martin Cummins
- Dr. Ryan Disilvio... Brian Markinson
Rennie will also take on producer duties for the series.
When initially broadcast, new episodes of Shattered would premiere at 9:00 pm on cable channel Showcase and then repeat at 10:00 pm on broadcast network Global. Only 10 episode were shown in Canada during the first run of the show and they were broadcast out of order based on the "previously on" segments at the beginning of each episode. Among repeats in late 2010 and early 2011 the three episodes skipped in the first run are being shown on Showcase. Shattered is also being shown on TAC, a Canadian cable channel which shows programming with Described Video for the visually impaired. The Universal Channel in the UK will air all 13 episodes. The Canadian viewer data is for the broadcasts on Global.
|#||Title||Directed by||Written by||Canadian air date||Viewers
|0||Pilot||Bobby Roth||Rick Drew||February 24, 2011||N/A|
|1||"The Sins of the Father"||Kari Skogland||Frank Borg||September 1, 2010||0.428|
|Ben Sullivan, a smart, tough homicide detective who suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder, unwittingly drags his new partner into a clouded murder investigation.|
|2||"Harry has a Wife?"||Stephen Surjik||David Shmidt||September 8, 2010||0.375|
|Ben struggles to keep his alternate personalities in check while investigating the violent death of a prominent Chinese doctor who may have ties to a notorious drug dealer.|
|3||"Sound of a Strap"||Rick Rosenthal||Shernold Edwards||September 29, 2010||N/A|
|Ben and Lynch investigate the multiple homicide of a group of teenagers that appears to be gang-related. There is a witness, but she’s not talking.|
|4||"Tears Bring Harry"||Patrick Williams||Greg Spottiswood||October 6, 2010||0.284|
|Ben Sullivan and Amy Lynch are assigned to the murder of an attractive woman, shot dead at close range, and their investigation reveals that she had ties to an escort service.|
|5||"Don't Wanna Die"||Kari Skogland||Greg Spottiswood||September 22, 2010||0.423|
|A recent explosion at an engineering firm may be connected to other bombings up the coast, and the detectives are called in to support the feds’ investigation.|
|6||"She Had You Fooled"||Rick Rosenthal||Adam Barken||December 31, 2010||N/A|
|A woman’s body, with multiple stab wounds, wrapped in plastic, is found floating in the ocean. The extent of her injuries suggests a rage killing, making it very likely that the victim knew her attacker.|
|7||"Where's the Line"||Stephen Surjik||Greg Spottiswood||October 13, 2010||0.273|
|Detectives Sullivan and Lynch go undercover to an after hours nightclub when the heist of a high stakes poker game ups the ante, leaving one gunman dead and the other missing.|
|8||"Everyone's a Hostage to Someone"||Patrick Williams||Frank Borg||October 27, 2010||0.431|
|While two prisoners are being transferred to the city jail, one of them manages to get hold of an officer’s gun and creates a dangerous standoff with the Homicide detectives.|
|9||"In the Dark"||Helen Shaver||Jennica Harper||November 3, 2010||0.245|
|A brutal sexual assault and murder has eerily similar characteristics to an earlier unsolved case Lynch worked on, and she is convinced she knows who the killer is.|
|10||"Key with no Lock"||Patrick Williams||David Schmidt||January 28, 2011||N/A|
|A 14-year-old girl discovers her mother, brutally murdered, and Ben Sullivan suspects her estranged older brother may have had something to do with it.|
|11||"Finding the Boy"||Patrick Williams||Rick Drew||February 4, 2011||N/A|
|A Punjabi wedding celebration comes to a murderous close when two professional hit men open fire on the groom and guests, then abduct the couple’s baby.|
|12||"Stairways to Perceptions"||David Frazee||Frank Borg||November 10, 2010||0.300|
|A young woman pleads with Sullivan and Lynch to re-open her sister’s childhood murder, fearing that the wrong men were convicted and sentenced to life in prison.|
|13||"Out of Sorrow"||Helen Shaver||Shernold Edwards||November 17, 2010||0.352|
|The murder investigation of a closet pedophile provides a link to Ben Sullivan’s missing son and a frantic search ensues to locate him.|
The premiere episode, "The Sins of the Father", was watched by 428,000 Canadian viewers. The second episode was watched by 375,000 viewers. In the UK and Republic of Ireland the series was aired on Universal as a launch programme for the channel's re-launch. It was low-rated to begin with in a 10:00 pm slot and was eventually moved to midnight to finish off its run.
Awards and nominations
|2011||Gemini Awards||Best Direction in a Dramatic Series||Shattered||Nominated|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role||Callum Keith Rennie||Won|
|Best Performance by an Actress in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role||Camille Sullivan||Nominated|
- Schaefer, G. (November 23, 2008). "Rennie lands multiple roles in one". The Vancouver Province. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- "Canwest orders two more new Canadian original series" (Press release). Canwest. April 27, 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- Oasis International Preview
- Schnedier, Michael (November 29, 2009). "'Shattered' puts together cast". Variety. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- Wild, Dianne (November 30, 2009). "Shattered with Callum Keith Rennie starts production". TV Eh?. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- Wild, Dianne (August 27, 2010). "Showcase fall series include Lost Girl, Rookie Blue, Shattered". TV Eh?. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Wild, Dianne (August 12, 2010). "Shattered to premiere September 1 on Global". TV Eh?. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- "Browse Programs : Shattered : TACtv". The Accessible Channel. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Rickwood, Lee (October 2010). "As First Live Reality TV Show with Described Video Airs, Greater Accessibility Sought from Broadcasters, Distributors". Broadcaster. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- "Shattered - Schedule - Episodes". Showcase. Archived from the original on March 1, 2011. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (September 2, 2010). "Shattered fails to break". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (September 10, 2010). "Can Shattered break the Kickoff Curse?". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (October 7, 2010). "Shattered". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (September 23, 2010). "Criminal Minds still in charge at CTV". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (October 18, 2010). "Race beats Big Bang to win the week in Canada". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (November 2, 2010). "Ratings across Canada Oct. 25-31". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (November 9, 2010). "Ratings across Canada Nov. 1 - 7". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (November 16, 2010). "Ratings across Canada Nov. 8 - 14". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Brioux, Bill (November 23, 2010). "Ratings across Canada Nov. 15-21". TV Feeds My Family. Retrieved February 3, 2011.