||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (March 2011)|
May 2, 1978
Deptford, New Jersey, United States
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Alma mater||Rowan University (B.S.)|
|Occupation||Physical Fitness Expert, Presenter|
|Spouse(s)||Scott Blokker (m. 2012)|
Shaun Thompson (born May 2, 1978), better known as Shaun T, is an American fitness trainer and choreographer best known for his Insanity and Hip-Hop Abs home fitness programs for adults and children. He measures 5 feet 11 inches (180 cm) tall and weighs 175 pounds (79 kg).
Life and career
Shaun T. was raised in Deptford, New Jersey and grew up playing American football and baseball and running track. He attended Rowan University, where he received his BS in Sports Science and minored in Theater/Dance. While there he was initiated into Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. After gaining 50 pounds in his freshman year of college, Shaun changed his course of study and became interested in fitness. He now lives in New York City.
Shaun T's career began as a health and fitness specialist/personal trainer and health program manager at Wyeth, a multi-national pharmaceutical company. He also worked at a number of fitness chains, including Equinox Fitness. Shaun began dancing in college, when, at 21, he was required to teach an aerobics class as a part of his Sports Science degree and became an aerobics instructor. After graduating from Rowan University, he moved to Los Angeles to work as a choreographer, dancer and trainer. His first professional work as a dancer was for Mariah Carey. While Thompson was teaching a popular fitness class at Equinox Fitness, he was approached by representatives of Beachbody, LLC. and asked to submit a demo for a workout video.
Home fitness programs
Hip Hop Abs
Shaun T's first work for Beachbody fitness company was released in 2006. The majority of the workout plan was designed to target abdominal muscles in different ways. Sold via informercial, they also came with a nutrition guide, a workout calendar and 24-hour online support. In 2007 it was the top selling workout video in the United States.
In 2009, Shaun T and Beachbody fitness company introduced a new "Insanity" series, a method of exercising during which one works out strenuously for 3–4 minutes and then rests or "cools down" for approximately 30 seconds, sold via infomercials.
Thompson's fitness programs, along with associated gear and nutritional supplements, are sold mainly by mail order, marketed by parent company Beachbody and a network of authorized affiliates, as well as through infomercials.
- 2013: Focus T25 (Exercise video series)
- 2012: Insanity: The Asylum Vol. 2 - Elite Training Series (Exercise video series)
- 2011: Insanity: The Asylum (Exercise video series)
- 2009: Insanity (Exercise video series)
- 2008: Rockin' Body (Exercise video series)
- 2008: Shaun T's Fit Kids Club (Exercise video for ages 7 and up)
- 2008: Get Real with Shaun T (Exercise video for pre-teens)
- 2007: Hip Hop Abs (Exercise video series)
- "Shaun T. Biography from www.shauntfitness.com". Shauntfitnesssite.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Coach Wayne, Interview for Team Ripped
- IMDB biography
- Juzwiak, Rich (2012-10-15). "Insanity Creator Shaun T Comes Out via Retweet". Gawker/. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
Twitter items referred to by Gawker (may require registration to view):
- Coloreo, Alex (2012-10-14). "The two most amazing people in the entire world". twitter. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Cuff, Marcia (2012-10-14). "What an amazing journey". twitter. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Shaun T (2012-10-14). "the hubby and the BFF!". twitter. Retrieved 2012-10-16. — With "the homie", Shaun T. is referring to Scott Blokker, while Marcia Cuff is "the BFF".
- "Hip Hop Abs Workout - Hip Hop Abs: Get Flat & Sculpted Abs Dancing - Hip Hop Abs Reviews". beachbody.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "INSANITY Workout - Extreme Home Workout DVD - INSANITY Workout Reviews". beachbody.com. 2011-04-18. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Shaun T's Insanity Fitness | Video - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Fitness Review: Beach Body Insanity DVD Workout Program". Webmd.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.