June 15, 1968 |
|Hutchinson Community College
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
Northern Colorado (A)
Bowling Green (A)
Boise State (A)
|Head coaching record|
Shaun Vandiver (born June 15, 1968) is currently the head basketball coach for the Emporia State University Hornets men's basketball team. Vandiver is also a retired American college and professional basketball player. Born in Chicago, the Bolingbrook, Illinois native was selected 25th overall in the 1991 NBA Draft, from Hutchinson Community College and the University of Colorado. A 6'10" (2.08 m) and 240 lb (109 kg) power forward was also an outstanding basketball player in the European leagues in Italy (for Mangiaebevi Bologna in 1991–92 and Pfizer Reggio Calabria in 1994–95 and Spain (Caja Bilbao, in 1995-96).
Vandiver played a season at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, then transferred to the University of Colorado. He was the Big Eight Conference's rookie of the year in 1988, and was a two time First Team All Big 8 selection in 1990 and 1991. In his final season in 1990–91, he led Colorado to a third place finish in the National Invitation Tournament. Prior to that, Colorado had not been to the NIT semifinals in 22 years. Vandiver was third on the Buffaloes' all-time scoring list until being surpassed in early 2008 by Richard Roby.
In April 2011 Vandiver was named the head men's basketball coach at Emporia State University. Previously in the 2010–11 season, Vandiver was an assistant to head coach Leon Rice at Boise State. Prior to that he served as an assistant to Steve McClain (under whom he played at Hutchinson CC) at the University of Wyoming, a position he held since 2005. He had previously served as a graduate assistant coach with Wyoming in 2002–03, and as a full-time assistant coach at Bowling Green in 2003–04, and Northern Colorado in 2004–05.
- Shaun Vandiver profile, wyomingathletics.cstv.com
- Shaun Vandiver profile, thedraftreview.com
- Ex-assistant Vandiver rejoins Wyoming hoops staff
- Colorado 72, Oklahoma 58 - Recap - February 9, 2008, "Roby also moved to within 28 points of passing Shaun Vandiver for third place on the Buffaloes' all-time scoring list"
- Richard Roby Game Log (2007-08) – Note: Although it is not specified as such, and using the points column in Roby's game log as a guide, it is clear that Roby broke Vandiver's scoring record during the Colorado–Missouri game on February 23, 2008.
- Player Profile @ Euroleague.net
- "Vandiver back in the Buff fold" by Chris Dempsey (December 16, 2001)