Shavano Park, Texas
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Shavano Park, Texas|
Location of Shavano Park, Texas
|• Total||1.8 sq mi (4.6 km2)|
|• Land||1.8 sq mi (4.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||990.9/sq mi (382.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1346987|
Shavano Park is an affluent city located in Bexar County, Texas, United States. As of the 2010 census[update], the population was 3,035. It is an enclave of San Antonio and is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Shavano Park is located at . This is about 12 miles north of Downtown San Antonio.(29.585859, -98.554471)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.8 square miles (4.7 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,035 people, 629 households, and 549 families residing in the city. The population density was 990.9 people per square mile (382.6/km²). There were 652 housing units at an average density of 368.3 per square mile (142.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 92.87% White, 1.43% African American, 0.11% Native American, 2.17% Asian, 1.60% from other races, and 1.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.06% of the population.
There were 629 households out of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 82.2% were married couples living together, 4.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 12.6% were non-families. 11.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.5% under the age of 18, 3.4% from 18 to 24, 18.1% from 25 to 44, 35.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 94.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $108,306, and the median income for a family was $111,505. Males had a median income of $79,551 versus $41,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $47,705. About 0.7% of families and 2.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.0% of those under age 18 and 1.8% of those age 65 or over.
Residents are zoned to schools in the Northside Independent School District. Blattman Elementary School serves all of Shavano Park. Blattman, which opened in 2003, was the first public school to be built in Shavano Park. The sole entrance and exit to the school is along Texas State Highway Loop 1604. Blattman was built as part of the 2001 bond. Prior to the opening of Blattman, Shavano Park was zoned to Locke Hill Elementary School in San Antonio.
City of Shavano Park Police Department employs 19 Police Officers who serve 24 hours a day 365 days a year. All SPPD Police Officers are commissioned Texas Peace Officers through the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement. As Texas Peace Officers they are empowered to enforce all Federal, State, and Local Laws.
City of Shavano Park FD is fully paid staff, working a 24/48 schedule. Manpower includes 1 full-time chief, 6 Fire/Paramedics, and 6 Fire/EMT personnel. A Shift includes Captain Lloyd Perrin, Lieutenant Greg DeHart, Fire Medic Ricardo ZuaZua, Kyle "Tony" Mireles, Firefighter Russell Rust. B-Shift includes Captain Ivan Hernandez, Lieutenant Kyle Mullins, Fire Medic Michael Carrasco, Firefighter Andrew Almanzar, Firefighter Larry Fennell. C-Shift crew includes Captain Howard Dalros, Lieutenant Sam Richards, Fire Medic Jacob Whittington, FF Firefighter Eric Ambriz, and Firefighter Paden King.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Overall City Map." City of Shavano Park. Retrieved on March 24, 2010.
- "Blattman Elementary Attendance Area." Northside Independent School District. Retrieved on March 24, 2010.
- "Newest campus to open Blattman Elementary is the first public school in Shavano Park." San Antonio Express-News. Sunday August 23, 2003. North Central Page 1H. Retrieved on March 24, 2010.
- "NISD Bond: New Schools." Northside Independent School District. April 14, 2003. Retrieved on March 25, 2010.
- "Attendance Zone for Blattman ES." Northside Independent School District. Retrieved on March 25, 2010.
- "Hobby Middle Attendance Area." Northside Independent School District. Retrieved on March 24, 2010.
- "Clark High Attendance Area." Northside Independent School District. Retrieved on March 24, 2010.
- "New Bus Route." City of Shavano Park. Retrieved on March 24, 2010.