|Headquarters||New Brighton, Minnesota, United States|
Shavlik ProtectShavlik SCUPdates
Shavlik Technologies was a privately held company that was founded in 1993 by Mark Shavlik, who was one of the original developers of Windows NT in the late 1980s and early 1990s at Microsoft. The company provides software and services for network vulnerability assessment and for managing network security patches. Mark Shavlik left his CEO of Shavlik Technologies position when Shavlik Technologies was acquired by VMware in May 2011. Mark was a VP and General Manager at VMware until March 2013. Mark Shavlik is no longer a part of the Shavlik organization that now owned by LANDesk Software. After two ownership transitions in two years, the Protect product line continues to receive accolades.
Shavlik's technological advancements have been significant enough to attract attention from Microsoft, resulting in cooperative efforts between the two companies and the development of the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), which is based on Shavlik's HFNetChk (the acronym designating HotFix Network Checker) released in 2001. This technology has evolved, but is still the core technology in the current product offerings and has been licensed by multiple OEM partners to provide patch management capabilities to a variety of IT management solutions with a combined install base of millions of users across the globe.
On May 16, 2011 VMware announced its intent to acquire Shavlik Technologies. The acquisition closed in Q2 2011. VMware already used Shavlik technology in its vCenter Update Manager product, and co-developed the VMware Go offering.
On Apr 08, 2013 LANDesk Software acquired patch and asset management technology from VMware, buying the former Shavlik Technologies patch management platform from the virtualization vendor. The acquisition by South Jordan, Utah-based LANDesk brings in VMware's vCenter Protect product family for IT management.
- InformationWeek Five Questions For Mark Shavlik, CEO of Shavlik Technologies
- TechTarget Best of vulnerability management 2013
- ServerWatch Windows Patch Management, Shavlik Technologies
- Info Security Products Guide Helping Organizations Stay Ahead of Security Breaches and Challenges
- VMware to Acquire Shavlik Technologies (Retrieved May 23, 2011)
- Battening the patches: Shavlik Technologies of Roseville has built a niche as one of the nation's leading testers and managers of computer security... Star Tribune, Minneapolis, MN, February 15, 2009
- Microsoft Patch Tuesday Brings Four Fixes For Eight Flaws Information Week: February 10, 2009
- Relying on Microsoft's WSUS patch management is 'almost negligent' SC Magazine: February 6, 2009
- Shavlik Technologies Optimizer Series Doing Its Part for the Economy! Business Wire: February 5, 2009
- Microsoft Plans To Fix UAC Security in Windows 7 RC Redmond Magazine: February 5, 2009
- Shavlik Technologies Named Finalist for Two Prestigious SC Magazine Awards Reuters: January 7, 2009
- LANDesk Acquires VMware Protect Product Family LANDesk: April 9, 2013