Shaw's Road shown within Northern Ireland
|- Belfast||3 mi (4.8 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||BT11, BT12|
|EU Parliament||Northern Ireland|
|UK Parliament||Belfast West|
|NI Assembly||Belfast West|
Shaw's Road or Bóthar Seoighe, also known as both Pobal Feirste (English: Farset Community) and The Irish Houses is a small Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking area) in Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland.
The Gaeltacht was founded in 1969 when five families from Belfast built their houses together in a new development on the street. The community has expanded through the years and now there are 22 houses in the Gaeltacht.
In 1971, parents in the Gaeltacht established the first Irish-medium school in Northern Ireland. After much turbulence during that time and lengthy campaign, the school received official recognition from the Department of Education in 1985. The school has since grown rapidly and is no longer under direct administration by the Gaeltacht, but remains Irish-medium and over 350 students attend.
The Shaw's Road Gaeltacht has a strong culture of traditional music, dance and drama and the Irish language continues to be the normal language of communication between residents.
There is often some confusion between the Shaw's Road Gaeltacht and the Gaeltacht Quarter in west Belfast, which is a related, but newer and distinct project located in the centre of the Falls Road district. The Shaw's Road Gaeltacht is located closer to Andersonstown.
- Mac Póilin, Aodán (2007) "Nua-Ghaeltacht Phobal Feirste: Ceachtanna le foghlaim?" In: Wilson McLeod (Ed.) Gàidhealtachdan Ùra; Leasachadh na Gàidhlig agus na Gaeilge sa Bhaile Mhòr. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University, p. 31.
- Maguire, Gabrielle (1991) Our Own Language, An Irish Initiative. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Nig Uidhir, Gabrielle (2006) “The Shaw’s Road urban Gaeltacht: role and impact.” In: Fionntán de Brún (ed.), Belfast and the Irish Language. Dublin: Four Courts Press, pp. 136-146.
- Mac Póilin, Aodán (2007) "Nua-Ghaeltacht Phobal Feirste: Ceachtanna le foghlaim?" In: Wilson McLeod (Ed.) Gàidhealtachdan Ùra; Leasachadh na Gàidhlig agus na Gaeilge sa Bhaile Mhòr. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University, pp. 57-59.
- Bunscoil Phobail Feirste Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta
- Naíscoil Bhreandáin Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta
|This Belfast geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|