|Born||1963 (age 50–51)
Gul Agha Sherzai
|Charge(s)||no charge extrajudicial detention|
|Status||Still in Guantanamo|
Shawali Khan is a citizen of Afghanistan, held in extrajudicial detention in the United States Guantanamo Bay detainment camps, in Cuba. His Guantanamo Internment Serial Number is 899. The Department of Defense estimate he was born in 1963, in Kandahar, Afghanistan. Shawali Khan arrived at the Guantanamo detention camps on February 7, 2002, and has been held there for 12 years, 10 months and 21 days.
US District Court Judge John D. Bates, who has reviewed Shawali's confidential file, wrote that all the allegations he faced were based on “multiple levels of hearsay”, that “all of the information contained in the reports could come from a single individual” and that “no source is identified by name.” Shahwali Khan's lawyer Leonard C. Goodman, who has reviewed Shawali's confidential file says he was simply a merchant, denounced for a bounty.
On September 6, 2011, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia affirmed denial of Khan's petition for a writ of habeas corpus.
- "List of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from January 2002 through May 15, 2006". United States Department of Defense. Retrieved 2006-05-15. Works related to List of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from January 2002 through May 15, 2006 at Wikisource
- JTF-GTMO (2007-03-16). "Measurements of Heights and Weights of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba". Department of Defense. Retrieved 2008-12-22. mirror
- "Measurements of Heights and Weights of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (ordered and consolidated version)". Center for the Study of Human Rights in the Americas, from DoD data. Archived from the original on 2009-12-21.
- Margot Williams (2008-11-03). "Guantanamo Docket: Shawali Khan". New York Times.
- Leonard C. Goodman (2009-09-22). "Sold to the United States for Cash". In These Times. Archived from the original on 2009-09-22.
- Who Are the Remaining Prisoners in Guantánamo? Part Eight: Captured in Afghanistan (2002-07) Andy Worthington
- Judge Denies Habeas Petition of Afghan Shopkeeper at Guantánamo Andy Worthington, September 7, 2010
-  Opinion of United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia