Shawn J. Bayern is an American law professor. Before his legal career, he created several widely used computer-software systems and wrote several widely cited books on computer programming.
After graduating from Yale University, Bayern worked as a researcher at Yale University's Technology and Planning group, there developing the Central Authentication Service in "one week using a text editor." As a student he had developed a reputation for becoming critical to the university's information systems and having full access to those systems. He was the reference-implementation lead for JSTL and sat on the specification committees that developed popular web languages including JavaServer Pages, JAX-RPC, and JavaServer Faces.  At the age of 23, he wrote books on JSTL and JSP and gave award-winning speeches about Java, the Central Authentication Service, and other topics at industry conference such as Macworld Conference & Expo, Java One, and WebDevShare. He is also the creator of Time Cave, a "message-scheduling service," and he offers a free research utility for federal laws on the iPhone and iPad called "US Code."
After his computing career, Bayern went to Boalt law school at the University of California at Berkeley . There he was editor-in-chief of the California Law Review (ISSN 00081221) and first in his class at graduation. He then worked as a law clerk for Harris Hartz of the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. He has worked in the Office of the Solicitor General, on the Appellate Staff of the Civil Division of the Department of Justice, in the chambers of a United States District Judge in California, and at Covington & Burling, a Washington law firm.
- JSTL in Action (Manning Press 2003) (ISBN 1930110529).
- Book Review: Java Bookshelf: Mark Cyzyk Reviews Shawn Bayern's JSTL in Action, Dr. Dobb's Journal, DDJ Java Programming E-zine, June 2003. 
- Web Development with JavaServer Pages  (Manning Press 2002) (ISBN
- Explaining the American Norm Against Litigation, 93 California Law Review 1697 (2006).
- Minimal Backups, Sys Admin, Apr. 2001.
- Making a Wish: The Web-Interface Shell, Sys Admin, Jul. 2000.
- How to Crawl Back Inside Your Shell, Sys Admin, Nov. 1999.
- Securing Public Workstations, Windows NT Magazine, Sept. 1999.
- Automating Repetitive Tasks in NT, Windows NT Magazine, May 1998.
- "Technology & Planning Organizational Website". Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "Authentication and Single Sign-on Using Java Technologies, Sun Products & Solutions". Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "Master of his Domain, Rumpus Magazine". Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "JSTL Specification". Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "JSP Specification". Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "JAX-RPC Specification". Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "JavaServer Faces Specification". Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- No Eclipse of Sun's Product, Business Line, March 31, 2004.
- M2 Presswire, Manning Publications, October 31, 2001.
- "WebDevShare Prestige Award Announcement". Archived from the original on December 27, 2003. Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "California Law Review 2005-06 Masthead". Archived from the original on August 26, 2007. Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "Dean Stands in for Dean at Commencement, UC Berkeley Press Release". Archived from the original on July 7, 2007. Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- "Shawn Bayern Faculty Biography, Duke University".