Shawnee High School (New Jersey)
|Shawnee High School|
|600 Tabernacle Road
Medford, New Jersey 08055
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Lenape Regional High School District|
|Assistant principals||Craig Bookwalter
Lorna A. Fairess
|Faculty||122.5 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||1,622 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.24:1|
|Hours in school day||7 hours|
|Athletics conference||Olympic Conference|
|Website||Shawnee High School Website|
Shawnee High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Lenape Regional High School District. The district serves students from Evesham Township, Medford Lakes, Medford Township, Mount Laurel Township, Shamong Township, Southampton Township, Tabernacle Township and Woodland Township. The school serves students in ninth through twelfth grade from Medford Lakes and Medford Township. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1975.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,622 students and 122.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.24:1. There were 59 students (3.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 23 (1.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 48th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 142nd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 100th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 108th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 110th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 58th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 5 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (90.7%) and language arts literacy (97.4%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The band program, under the direction of Nick Rotindo, has established a name for itself during recent years. List of recent accomplishments are as follows:
- Marching Band
- 2005 USSBA New Jersey State Group III Open Class Champions
- 2005 USSBA All-State Group III Open Class Champions
- 2005 Undefeated season
- 2006 USSBA New Jersey State Group II Open Class Champions
- 2006 USSBA All-State Group II Open Class Champions
- 2006 USSBA National Champions Group II, for its program titled "Going for Broke: a Gamer's Tale".
- 2007 4th Place USSBA National Championships Group III, winning General Effect and Visual Effect.
- Jazz Band
- 2005 New Jersey State Champions
- 2006 New Jersey State Champions
- 2007 3rd Place Finish at New Jersey State Championships
- 2008 3rd Place Finish at New Jersey State Championships
- 2009 2nd Place Finish at New Jersey State Championships
In earlier years, students auditioned and were selected for honors choirs. These accomplishments include:
- 1995 MENC: All-Eastern Honors Choir & Band (Choir: Kevin Scott Collins, tenor; Elise Quagliata, alto. Band: Jessica Williams)
The Shawnee High School Renegades participate in the Olympic Conference, which consists of public and private high schools located in Burlington County and Camden County and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 1,210 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as South Jersey, Group IV for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 1,084 to 1,845 students in that grade range.
In addition to nationally ranked men's soccer and women's lacrosse programs, the football, basketball, and men's lacrosse teams are consistently ranked among the top teams in South Jersey. As a part of the Lenape Regional High School District, Shawnee High School participates in many sports.
- Shawnee High School has a club ice hockey team that competes in Varsity Tier I as a member of the South Jersey High School Ice Hockey League.
- Shawnee baseball won its first New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association title in the spring of 2003, led by future Oakland Athletics' 2007 1st round draft pick Sean Doolittle and his 23 strikeouts in the group final victory over Kearny High School. After winning the state title, Seneca High School split up the Shawnee population. They played one more year in the Olympic American conference, then moved down to the Olympic Patriot conference. As of 2006, Shawnee won its conference three years in a row. They won the South Jersey Group III State title in 2009 under Brian Anderson, the head coach, also coaches the girls basketball team and used to be the coordinator for the powerful Shawnee football defense, defeating Clearview Regional High School 9-2 in the sectional final. The 2009 team made it to the Group II final, falling to John F. Kennedy Memorial High School by 5–2.
- The boys soccer team won the 2003 NJSIAA Group IV state title, defeating Bridgewater-Raritan High School 2-0. The 2006 team finished the season ranked tenth in the nation in the NSCAA/adidas National Rankings. The 2006 team took the South, Group III state sectional title with a 3–0 win against Ocean City High School in the tournament final. The 2006 team won the Group III State Championship with a 1–0 win over Princeton High School in the semifinals and a 3–2 win against Ramapo High School in the finals.
- The Shawnee High Football team won its third South Jersey state sectional championship in 2007, the first in Group III, rebounding from a disappointing 2006 season in which they had a losing record for the first time in nine years. The Renegades repeated as South Jersey Group III Champs in 2008 with a 28–7 win against Hammonton High School. Their two other state titles were won in 2002 and 2004 in Group IV where they returned in 2009. The 2002 team won the program's first title with a 14–10 win over Washington Township High School, despite being shut out 10–0 in the first half of the final. The '04 team went a perfect 12-0 in one of the toughest conferences in South Jersey to win the title with a 26–13 win over Washington Township. When Seneca High School was built, Shawnee waited two years to drop down from Group IV competition to Group III. Area growth has brought Shawnee back to Group IV while Seneca remains in Group III. Coached by Tim Gushue, the Renegades are perennial powerhouses in South Jersey. As of December 9, 2008, Shawnee was ranked 88th on the Rivals.com list of the top 100 high school football teams in the nation. The only other teams from New Jersey currently on the list were Wayne Hills High School (81st) and Don Bosco Prep (17th). The Shawnee Renegades won the 2013 South Jersey Group IV championship after a 31-22 win against #1 seed Timber Creek. The Renegades won against #3 Hammonton 10-7 in the quarter finals and erased a 24-0 deficit in the semi-finals to win against #2 Toms River South 28-24. This is the Renegades 5th football championship title in school history, the team ended the season with a 9-3 record.
- The 2006 girls soccer team won the South, Group III state sectional title with a 3–0 win against West Deptford High School in the tournament final, their first championship since winning three consecutive titles from 1994–1996.
- The boys' basketball team has won five state titles: 1992, 1995, 1996 and 2002. in Group IV and 2007 in Group III. The boys basketball team won the South, Group III state sectional championship in 2007 with a 68–62 win against Camden High School, and went on to win the 2007 Group III NJSIAA State Championship, defeating Monmouth Regional High School 73-47 in the semifinals and Passaic Valley Regional High School 58-39 in the finals. In 1992 they finished with a record of 32–1 and became the first South Jersey team to win the NJSIAA Tournament of Champions with a 46–42 win over Marist High School, a team that had been ranked third in the nation by USA Today. They have been ranked by USA Today in the top 25 National Poll numerous times and were named No. 1 in Hoop Scoops magazine's final 1994–95 poll.
- The girl's basketball team won consecutive South Jersey Group IV titles in 1998 and 1999, winning their second title with a 60–42 win over Eastern High School.
- In 2007, the field hockey team won the South Jersey, Group III state sectional championship with a 4–0 win over Kingsway Regional High School in the tournament final. The team moved on to win the Group III State Championship with a 4–2 win over Moorestown High School in the semis and a 6–0 win against Freehold High School in the finals.
- The boys swim team won the New Jersey Group IV South in 1995 and 1996. They were back-to-back-to back Group IV State Champions in 1997, 1998, and 1999. The team won the South Jersey Public A championships in 2008 and 2009.
- The boys tennis team won the 2012 South Jersey Group IV state sectional championship, beating Atlantic City High School 3-2. At 2-2 the first doubles team rallied back from 2-5 to win the deciding set 7-5, earning the team the school's first South Jersey Group IV title since 1996. They went on to lose to Westfield High School in the Group IV state semifinals 4-1. The Boys Tennis team won the 2013 South Jersey Group IV Championship, defeating Toms River North 5-0 in the Championship. 
There are a wide variety of student-run organizations for students to get involved in, as in most high schools across the U.S. Shawnee's Student Council is an award-winning member of the NJASC and the NASC, the state and national student council associations. In addition each grade has an executive homeroom that works to organize spirit week, prom, and an annual senior trip to Disney World in Florida.
The school also has an active extra-curricular arts program, including the All School Musical each spring.
Other high schools in the district
- Cherokee High School - located in Evesham Township, with 2,349 students from Evesham Township
- Lenape High School - located in Medford Township, with 1,981 students from Mount Laurel Township
- Seneca High School - located in Tabernacle Township, with 1,263 students from Shamong, Southampton Tabernacle and Woodland Townships
- Malik Allen (born 1978), NBA basketball player for the Milwaukee Bucks.
- Sean Doolittle (born 1986), Major League Baseball pitcher for the Oakland Athletics
- Dan Earl (born c. 1975), Assistant Basketball coach for Penn State University.
- Calista Flockhart (born 1964), actress.
- Jamie Franks (born 1986), professional soccer player.
- Shana Hiatt (born 1975), television personality/hostess, actress.
- Stephen King (born 1986), Major League Soccer player for the D.C. United.
- Gregg Rakoczy (born 1965), NFL football player for the Cleveland Browns.
- Liz Tchou (born 1966), former field hockey defender who played on the US women's team that finished fifth at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Jeff Zaun (born 1971), former professional soccer player.
- Data for Shawnee High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed August 7, 2014.
- Lenape Regional High School District 2010 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed August 6, 2014. "The Lenape Regional High School District serves the eight municipalities of Evesham, Medford, Mount Laurel, Shamong, Southampton, Tabernacle and Woodland Townships and Medford Lakes Borough."
- Shawnee High School 2013 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed August 6, 2014. "ATTENDANCE AREA: Medford Township and Medford Lakes Borough"
- Shawnee High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed June 26, 2011.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 4, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed June 26, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 27, 2012.
- USSBA National Championship Titles, United States Scholastic Band Association (USSBA) press release dated November 14, 2006.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 14, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for South Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed October 14, 2014.
- South Jersey High School Ice Hockey League, accessed September 9, 2006.
- Narducci, Mike. "Shawnee's Doolittle puts 'K' in Kearny, fanning 23 in win", The Philadelphia Inquirer, June 11, 2003. Accessed June 26, 2011. "It was a performance that became more impressive with each passing "K". Junior lefthander Sean Doolittle struck out 23 batters as Shawnee defeated Kearny, 5-3, in nine innings during last night's NJSIAA Group 4 state baseball final at Toms River South. Ranked No. 2 in South Jersey by The Inquirer, Shawnee (23–7) claimed its first state championship. Doolittle (12–1), who was touched for two runs in the ninth, ended in typical fashion, striking out the final three batters of the game after a two-run triple by Jairo Mendez."
- Staff. "Montefusco, Montemurro lead Shawnee in Group 3", Courier-Post, May 30, 2009. Accessed June 26, 2011. "Anthony Montefusco tossed a four-hitter with 14 strikeouts as the Shawnee baseball team defeated Clearview 9-2 Friday to win the South Jersey Group 3 title."
- Staff. "JFK-Iselin too much for Shawnee", The Philadelphia Inquirer, June 8, 2009. Accessed June 26, 2011. "It took an exemplary effort by a dominating two-way player to prevent Shawnee from winning the second state baseball title in school history. Brian Schroeder did double damage on the mound and at the plate in leading JFK-Iselin to yesterday's 5–2 win over Shawnee in the state Group 3 championship at Toms River East."
- 2003 NJSIAA Group 4 Boys' Soccer State Tournament, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, accessed May 9, 2007.
- NSCAA/adidas National Rankings: National Final Regular Season Poll Poll, November 21, 2006. Accessed July 27, 2007.
- Lewis, John A. "4 county teams earn S.J. soccer titles Drake's goal, assist propel unbeaten Shawnee to crown", Burlington County Times, November 11, 2006. Accessed August 18, 2007. "The Shawnee High School senior found the net in the eighth minute yesterday to help spark a 3–0 victory over Ocean City High School in yesterday's South Jersey Group 3 championship game."
- 2006 Boys Soccer Tournament – South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 18, 2007.
- 2006 Boys Soccer Tournament – Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 25, 2007.
- LaPierre, Renegades dethrone Lions | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/02/2007
- Lewis, John. "12-6 Shawnee Breakout", Burlington County Times, December 6, 2008. Accessed June 26, 2011. "The Shawnee High School football team brought a perfect ending to its perfect season last night. Chris LaPierre carried 26 times for 179 yards and four touchdowns, as the Renegades defeated Hammonton, 28-7, in the South Jersey Group 3 championship game at Shawnee. The victory was the 19th in a row for the Renegades and wrapped up their second straight sectional title."
- Staff. "LaPierre goes out in a blaze of glory, Shawnee RB closes out stellar football career.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 6, 2008. Accessed June 26, 2011. "Shawnee, ranked No. 1 in South Jersey by The Inquirer, had just completed a 12–0 season with last night's 28–7 win over visiting Hammonton in the South Jersey Group 3 title game, and LaPierre, as usual, did more than his share."
- Staff. "Shawnee Wins Group IV Title", The Press of Atlantic City, December 9, 2002. Accessed June 26, 2011. "Running back Rick Engel scored two touchdowns as Shawnee won its first South Jersey Group IV football championship with a 14–10 defeat of Washington Township on Sunday afternoon. Shawnee trailed 10–0 at halftime."
- Staff. "Shawnee leaves no doubt that it's the best", The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 4, 2004. Accessed June 26, 2011. "Shawnee last night capped its 12-0 campaign – the first unbeaten season in the program's 35-year history – by defeating Washington Township, 26-13, in the NJSIAA South Jersey Group 4 final. Finishing 12–0 and playing in a small-school conference is one thing. Finishing 12–0 and playing in the rugged Burlco/Olympic... "
- RivalsHigh 100, Rivals.com. Accessed December 11, 2008.
- Rimback, Tom. "4 county teams earn S.J. soccer titles Shawnee executes perfectly; Palmyra captures first crown", Burlington County Times, November 11, 2006. Accessed August 18, 2007. "His Renegades responded with a 3–0 win over West Deptford High School in the South Jersey Group 3 title game yesterday. The championship was the Renegades first S.J. Group 3 crown. The Renegades won three straight S.J. Group 4 titles in 1994, '95 and '96."
- 2006 Girls Soccer Tournament – South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 18, 2007.
- 2002 Boys Basketball – South, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, accessed May 14, 2007. Defeated Eastern High School, 52-49.
- 2007 Boys Basketball – South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 25, 2007.
- 2007 Boys Basketball – Public Group Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 29, 2007.
- Staff. "SHAWNEE SHOCKS MARIST IN BOYS' CHAMPIONS FINAL", The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 23, 1992. Accessed June 26, 2011. "And the Renegades' 46–42 victory at the Meadowlands, in the Tournament of Champions final, came against none other than top-seeded Marist (31–2), rated No. 3 in the nation by USA Today. In winning its 32d game of the season against only one... "
- Carchidi, Sam. "Shawnee Basketball Standouts Look At Colleges, Might Sign Early Danny Earl Probably Will Stay Close To Home. Kirk Luchman Is Looking At Faraway Places.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 28, 1992. Accessed June 26, 2011. "'I think they'll both sign early,' said Shawnee coach Joe Kessler, whose team went 32–1 and won the Tournament of Champions title last season."
- Narducci, Marc. "Shawnee Girls Top Eastern, 60-42 The Victory Gave The Renegades Their Second Straight South Jersey Group 4 Championship.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 9, 1999. Accessed June 26, 2011. "The Shawnee girls' basketball team used the South Jersey Group 4 final to show its selfless style of play once again. With four players, led by forward Lynlee Phillips with 19 points, scoring in double figures, top-seeded Shawnee defeated second-seeded Eastern, 60-42, last night in the championship game. It was the second consecutive sectional title for Shawnee (24–3), which advanced to tomorrow's 8 pm state Group 4 semifinal against East Brunswick, a 61–59 winner over Trenton, at Southern Regional."
- 2007 Field Hockey – South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 12, 2007.
- 2007 Field Hockey – Group Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 13, 2007.
- Johnson, Bruce. "Shawnee looking strong again", Asbury Park Press, December 4, 1999. Accessed June 26, 2011. "CAN ANYBODY beat Shawnee? Since losing the 1996 state A Division final to Westfield, coach Mike Panarella's Renegades have lost just one dual meet – to Moorestown in 1998 – and have captured the last three state titles."
- Staff. "Phil Anastasia: Flanagan leads Shawnee swimmers in and out of water", The Philadelphia Inquirer, February 19, 2009. Accessed June 26, 2011. "He won two individual events and swam a leg on two winning relays last night as the Renegades captured the South Jersey Public A sectional title with a 105–65 victory over Mainland."
- "Shawnee boys tennis wins sectional title". Burlington County Times. May 20, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "Moorestown, Shawnee fall in state tennis semis". Burlington County Times. May 27, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- , NJASC. Accessed September 4, 2008,
- School Data for the Lenape Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Profile and History, Lenape Regional High School District. Accessed September 21, 2014. "The Lenape District’s four high schools are: Lenape, Shawnee, Cherokee North and South and Seneca. Students from Mount Laurel attend Lenape; students from Medford, Medford Lakes attend Shawnee; students from Evesham (Marlton) attend Cherokee North and South and students from Tabernacle, Shamong, Southampton and Woodland attend Seneca."
- New Jersey School Directory for Lenape Regional High School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Cherokee High School, Lenape Regional High School District. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Shawnee High School, Lenape Regional High School District. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Seneca High School, Lenape Regional High School District. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- One game at a time, Courier-Post, March 15, 2007. "Malik Allen, a 1996 graduate of Shawnee, is in his second season with the Chicago Bulls."
- McPherson, Gary (August 9, 2012). "Shawnee graduate Sean Doolittle pitching for the Oakland A's". The Central Record. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- Kackenmeister, Craig. "Six degrees of Dan Earl: Six years and several injuries later, Earl is still at the point", The Daily Collegian (Penn State), January 28, 1999. Accessed June 14, 2007. "Earl graduated from Shawnee High School, where he helped lead the team to a 59–3 record his junior and senior years. He also was named USA Today 1993 New Jersey Player of the Year, and is still Burlington County's all-time leading scorer (2,006 points)."
- Hutchinson, Bill. "'Ally Mcbeal' Puts Bite On Eating Rumors", Daily News (New York), October 29, 1998. Accessed June 26, 2011. "All spin attempts aside, Flockhart, who graduated from Shawnee High School in Medford, N.J., said she's not about to run out and slap on pounds at the nearest all-you-can-eat buffet."
- "#8 – Jamie Franks". Division-2 Pro League. U.S. Soccer Federation. 2010. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Bodnar, Jason. "Shawnee grad bets on childhood dream through poker series", Burlington County Times, November 18, 2004. Accessed June 26, 2011.""It didn't hurt that Hiatt, a 1993 Shawnee High School graduate who attended Burlington County College for a year and a half, is an attractive woman."
- Narducci, Marc. "He takes a flight to the finish Shawnee freshman Stephen King flew from Calif. to help his club soccer team win a title.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, May 21, 2011. Accessed June 26, 2011. "The red-eye flight and the lack of sleep were well worth it for Stephen King. A freshman at Shawnee, King had been in Chula Vista, Calif., training with the under-16 national soccer team. He arrived yesterday morning in Philadelphia at 8 and made it here in time to compete for the Bordentown-based Mid Jersey Speed in the under-15 state soccer tournament, which began at 10."
- Catching up with Gregg Rakoczy, Burlington County Times, November 28, 2004. "The 1983 Shawnee grad was a part of the 1983 national champion University of Miami Hurricanes and started for the 1986 team that competed in a second title game."
- Liz Tchou Receives Honor, Rutgers University press release dated October 15, 2007. Accessed April 9, 2008.
- Staff. "The debate's over, here's South Jersey's best", Courier-Post, September 4, 1999. Accessed February 14, 2011. "After starting his career at Holy Cross, Jeff Zaun moved to Shawnee for the 1988 season and became the catalyst for the century's top team."
- Shawnee High School Website
- Lenape Regional High School District
- Shawnee High School Alumni Association
- Shawnee High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Lenape Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Shawnee HS