|Born||London, United Kingdom|
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
|Occupation||Chief Executive Officer, Juniper Networks|
Board member of
|National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)|
Shaygan Kheradpir is a business and technology executive who is the CEO of Juniper Networks, Inc. Before joining Juniper on January 1, 2014, he served as the Group Chief Operations & Technology Officer at Barclays, and CIO and CTO at Verizon Communications between 2000 and 2010.
At Barclays, Kheradpir oversaw all bank operations in 50 countries, including the operations and systems to support the delivery of products and services to customers and clients. He devised technology solutions and operational improvements, including the introduction of Barclays Pingit, which won several awards in 2012 and 2013. Prior to that, Kheradpir was Chief Operating Officer of Barclays’ global retail business bank, where his operational and innovation agenda helped facilitate a transformation in the retail banking experience. Under Kheradpir’s leadership, Barclays cut its IT expenses by 90% after moving infrastructure into a custom-built cloud and rolling out an open source system across the organization.
Kheradpir, an original member of the management team when Verizon was created, was among the first to note the effects of commoditization on IT, and the corresponding need to orient IT programs around the consumerization of technology, in which consumers, not business, drive technology innovation. At Verizon, he led development of FiOS, one of the largest infrastructure initiatives in US history that has now become a $12b business and growing with a 35% market share in the competitive TV and broadband media market. This and other initiatives implemented by Kheradpir, helped position Verizon and the U.S. at the forefront of consumer Internet and interactive services via fiber to the home technology.
Prior to his roles at Verizon and Barclays, Kheradpir worked at GTE where he directed the company's Software Systems Lab, and later directed the information technology initiatives for the company's enterprise and eBusiness units.
Awards and Boards
In 2007, Kheradpir was named to CIO Magazine’s Hall of Fame for early adoption of consumer IT both within the enterprise and for the external market. In 2010, he was appointed to the board of the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), known as the Visiting Committee on Advanced Technology. Kheradpir is a member of the Cornell University Engineering Council. He has a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, has written multiple journal papers, and holds several U.S. patents.
- Yahoo Finance, "Juniper Networks Names Shaygan Kheradpir Chief Executive Officer", MarketWired, November 13, 2013
- Howard Mustoe,"Barclays Names Kheradpir Operating Chief Amid Jenkins Revamp", Bloomberg, March 7, 2013
- Matt Jarzemsky,"Verizon's Technology Chief Kheradpir Departing For Barclays", Dow Jones, December 7, 2010
- "Barclays appoints Shaygan Kheradpir as Chief Operations and Technology Officer". Barclays. March 7, 2013.
- "Award-winning banking". Barclays. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "Computing: Banking on Innovation". The Finanser. April 11, 2012.
- Max Smolaks (January 7, 2013). "Barclays To Save ‘Billions’ With Own Cloud And Open Source". TechWeekEurope.
- Sam Trendall (November 13, 2013). "Juniper banks on Barclays man Kheradpir for CEO role". CRN ChannelWeb.
- William M. Bulkeley, "For Clues to Why the Tech Sector Is Still Down, See Mr. Kheradpir" The Wall Street Journal, March 19, 2003
- Abbie Lundberg, "Message to CIOs: Ignore Consumer Technology at Your Own Risk" CIO Magazine, July 5, 2006
- John Soat, "The Consumer Effect In Beantown" Information Week, May 20, 2008
- Ed Sperling "Innovative IT Departments? Are You Kidding?" Forbes, July 16, 2008
- Marguerite Reardon, "Verizon bets big on network infrastructure", CNET News, October 6, 2008
- Lance Ulanoff, "Verizon Takes FiOS TV Interactive", PC Magazine, September 19, 2008
- Marguerite Reardon, "Verizon readies Fios TV app store", CNET News, August 4, 2009
- Sam Schechner, "Verizon Shows Off Its Upcoming Entry in TV-on-iPad Race", WSJ.com, August 18, 2010
- Marguerit Reardon, "Cisco, Verizon push for 3D video and more", CNET News, August 25, 2010
- Howard Mustoe (March 7, 2013). "Barclays Names Kheradpir Operating Chief Amid Jenkins Revamp". Bloomberg Businessweek.
- "Shaygan Kheradpir, Cornell Bio". Cornell University. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- C. G. Lynch, et al, "The Revenue Generator", CIO Magazine, September 2007
- "NIST Visiting Committee on Advanced Technology (VCAT)"
- "Cornell University School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Advisory Council"