|Occupation||Politician, Social Activist, Journalist|
|Aam Aadmi Party|
Shazia Ilmi is an Indian politician and social activist. She was previously a television journalist and anchor at Star News. She was a spokesperson for the India Against Corruption movement led by Anna Hazare in 2011 and 2012. She led a media campaign for an anti-corruption bill (to institute an Ombudsman popularly known as Jan Lokpal Bill) which caught the imagination of millions of Indians and became a widespread protest across the nation. She is a member of the Aam Aadmi Party's National Executive. She is contesting election for Member of Parliament from Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
Shazia Ilmi comes from a Kanpur-based Muslim family with links to the Indian National Congress political party. Her father was the founder and editor of Siyasat Jadid, a Kanpur-based newspaper. One of her uncles has been a member of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly for over two decades, as well as holding ministerial office in the state. Her sister is married to Arif Mohammed Khan, a former Indian National Congress politician and minister who has since joined the Bahujan Samaj Party.
Ilmi was educated at St. Mary’s School in Kanpur and Nainital and then at St. Bede’s College, Shimla. She then completed degree courses in journalism and broadcasting at Jamia Millia Islamia and the University of Wales, Cardiff, and also completed a Diploma in 16mm Film production at New York Film Academy.
Ilmi spent 15 years in varied aspects of television news and documentary production. She has been an anchor on Star News, where she hosted and produced the popular prime time news show Desh Videsh. She has produced several current affairs shows and documentaries focussing on gender issues and rights of Indian minority groups.
Ilmi has been a member of the International Association of Women in Radio and Television. Her film titled P.O. 418 Siyasat Kanpur, concerning the struggle for survival of an Urdu language newspaper, was screened at the IAWRT film festival in 2011 and also at events such as a similar festival in Kerala. She was also a co-director, with Radha Hola, of a 1996 documentary concerning the eco-feminist Vandana Shiva. This film, called Daughter of the Earth — Portrait of Vandana Shiva, has been shown by various television broadcasters, including the Discovery Channel.
Ilmi was active in the India Against Corruption movement, for which her media experience suited her. She has been described as a "media strategist". As of 2013[update], Ilmi is a member of the National Executive of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
Ilmi was seen in a sting operation, along with other AAP leaders such as Kumar Vishwas, allegedly accepting money for the party in return for favours. She offered to withdraw her candidature in the Delhi legislative assembly elections of 2013. which the party has rejected after going through the entire raw footage, calling the operation a political conspiracy. The Election Commission has ordered an inquiry regarding the legitimacy of the video.
- Sruthijith, K. K. (25 December 2011). "Shazia Ilmi, ex-journalist: The Muslim face of Team Anna". The Economic Times. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- BP Staff (2 August 2012). "The Biography of Shazia Ilmi, a prominent Team Anna Member". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Voll, Klaus; Kamakshi Nanda (2013). AAM AADMI PARTY (AAP) A NEW POLITICAL PARTY IN INDIA. FEPS. p. 9.
- Kaniwal, Rahul (18 August 2011). "A thinktank brings Anna the eyeballs". India Today. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "IAWRT Members and their World Premiere Films". The International Association of Women in Radio and Television Newsletter (IAWRT) 2 (1): 4. April 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Becoming a woman". The Hindu. 11 March 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "4th International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala". Kerala State Chalachitra Academy for the Government of Kerala. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Daughter of the earth - Portrait of Vandana Shiva". 10 Francs. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Reflections: Women and Technology". International Women's Conference. 2012. p. 11. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "National Executive". Aam Aadmi Party. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "AAP leaders raising funds through illegal means, shows sting; Kejriwal cries foul". Indian Express. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "AAP sting operation: Arvind Kejriwal cries conspiracy, Shazia Ilmi offers to resign". Zee News. 22 November. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "AAP defends Shazia Ilmi, threatens to sue Media Sarkar and TV channels". Indian Express. 23 November 2013. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "EC begins inquiry into sting operation against AAP leaders". India Today. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Delhi polls: Shazia Ilmi loses by whisker of 326-vote margin". PTI. 8 December 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "6th Candidate List Announced - 2014 Elections". Aam Aadmi Party official portal.