She's Funny That Way
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (March 2015)|
|She's Funny That Way|
|Directed by||Peter Bogdanovich|
|Music by||Edward Shearmur|
|Edited by||Nick Moore
|Distributed by||Clarius Entertainment|
The film centers on a hooker-turned-Broadway-thespian (Imogen Poots) and follows the “recurring intersection between these two facets of her life”. A Broadway director (Owen Wilson) pays for her escort services despite being married to the star (Kathryn Hahn) of his new play A Grecian Evening. The play’s writer (Will Forte) falls for her as well, despite the fact that he’s already dating her therapist (Jennifer Aniston), whose alcoholic mother (Joanna Lumley) is in rehab.
- Imogen Poots as Isabella "Izzy" Beatty, a prostitute turned actress, hired by Wilson's character
- Owen Wilson as Arnold Albertson, a Broadway director
- Jennifer Aniston as Jane Claremont, a therapist, treating Poots' character
- Kathryn Hahn as Delta Simmons, Arnold's wife and a theater actress
- Will Forte as Joshua Fleet, a playwright dating Aniston's character
- Rhys Ifans as Seth Gilbert
- Cybill Shepherd as Nettie Patterson
- Austin Pendleton as Judge Pendergast
- Joanna Lumley as Jane's mother
- Richard Lewis as Al Patterson
- Illeana Douglas as Judy
- Tovah Feldshuh as Miriam
- John Robinson as Andre
- Ahna O'Reilly as a former Prostitute
- Lucy Punch as a Prostitute
- Poppy Delevingne as Macy's Woman Greeter
- George Morfogen as Harold Fleet
- John Tormey as Hot Dog Vendor
- Tatum O'Neal
- Jake Hoffman
- Graydon Carter
- Quentin Tarantino
- Colleen Camp
- Michael Shannon 
The script was written by Peter Bogdanovich and ex-wife Louise Stratton, hoping to direct since 2005. In 2010, proteges of Bogdanovich – Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach – offered their backing to get the film made, agreeing to serve as executive producers.
In 2012, when the film was officially announced, Owen Wilson, Brie Larson and Olivia Wilde were signed on in lead roles. Larson was to play the prostitute turned actress and Wilde would play the role of her therapist. Jason Schwartzman was also rumored to be in negotiations to play Wilde's playwright boyfriend. Due to production delays, Wilson is the only actor to remain with the project. In February 2013, it was announced that Jennifer Aniston would replace Wilde in the role of the therapist, the same time Kathryn Hahn, Cybill Shepherd, and Eugene Levy were announced as cast members. Despite filming scenes since the start of filming, Imogen Poots and Will Forte were announced as taking roles of the prostitute and playwright July 23, 2013 and July 24, 2013. The same week, Joanna Lumley, Debie Mazar, Rhys Ifans, Lucy Punch, Ahna O'Reilly, Jake Hoffman as being cast in the film.
Bogdanovich said that Aniston was first selected to play Delta Simmons but she preferred to play the role of the therapist, which is a much showier part.
On August 29, 2014, the movie was presented to the Venice Film Festival. On September 12 it was screened at the Toronto International Film Festival and bought by Clarius Entertainment. A screening at the Tokyo International Film Festival was scheduled for the end of October. In January 2015, the movie will be screened to the Palm Springs International Film Festival.
- "Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Olivia Wilde and Brie Larson Up for Peter Bogdanovich’s SQUIRRELS TO THE NUTS". Collider.com. 2012-05-25. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Imogen Poots Replaces Brie Larson as Star of Wes Anderson-Produced Movie (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Tatum O'Neal Reteams With 'Paper Moon' Director Peter Bogdanovich for Showbiz Comedy (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- PageSix.com Staff (2013-07-29). "Carter joins Aniston cast | Page Six". Nypost.com. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Interview: 'Afternoon Delight' Star Kathryn Hahn Talks Motherhood, Unhinged Silver Lake Book Clubs & Peter Bogdanovich's 'Squirrel To The Nuts'|The Playlist". Blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- Jagernauth, Kevin "Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach to Produce New Film by Peter Bogdanovich "Squirrel to the Nuts", The Playlist 10/29/2010
- Jagernauth, Kevin, "Owen Wilson, Olivia Wilde & Brie Larson To Star In Peter Bogdanovich's 'Squirrel To The Nuts' Produced By Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach", The Playlist 5/24/2012
- Davis, Edward "Jennifer Aniston, Eugene Levy & Kathryn Hahn Join Peter Bogdanovich's 'She's Funny That Way' with Owen Wilson", The Playlist 2/10/2013
- "‘Squirrels to the Nuts’, starring Jennifer Aniston, begins filming in NYC". onlocationvacations.com. 11 July 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Edward Shearmur to Score Peter Bogdanovich’s ‘Squirrels to the Nuts’". filmmusicreporter.com. July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- "She's Funny That Way Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 10 February 2015.