She's Like the Wind
|"She's Like the Wind"|
|Single by Patrick Swayze|
|from the album Dirty Dancing Soundtrack|
|B-side||Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs - Stay|
|Format||7" single, 12" maxi
CD single, cassette
|Genre||Soft rock, blues rock|
|Writer(s)||Patrick Swayze, Stacy Widelitz|
"She's Like the Wind" is a 1987 power ballad from the film Dirty Dancing performed by Patrick Swayze. Though Swayze is the primary vocalist on the single, it was billed as being performed by "Patrick Swayze featuring Wendy Fraser"; Fraser is heard throughout much of the song, specifically in the final chorus. The single reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and number one on the Adult Contemporary chart.
Swayze and Stacy Widelitz co-wrote the song in 1984.
It was originally for the soundtrack of Grandview, U.S.A. and was meant to be about Jamie Lee Curtis's character in the film. However, the song was not used in that film. During production of Dirty Dancing in 1987, Swayze played the demo for producer Linda Gottlieb and director Emile Ardolino. They loved it and passed it on to Jimmy Ienner and Bob Feiden, the soundtrack's executive producers. It was recorded for the soundtrack in November 1986, with Michael Lloyd producing. The song, like the film in which it was featured, was a success, reaching number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and number one on Adult Contemporary, and was a hit around the world. It is still in circulation on radio. The soundtrack album was number one for 19 weeks.
|Austrian Singles Chart||15|
|Dutch Mega Top 100||13|
|German Singles Chart||14|
|Irish Singles Chart||4|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||27|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||7|
|South African Singles Chart||13|
|Swedish Singles Chart||8|
|Swiss Singles Chart||23|
|UK Singles Chart||17|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||1|
|French SNEP Singles Chart||7|
|Swiss Singles Chart||67|
"Seasons Change" by Exposé
|Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one single (Patrick Swayze version)
February 27, 1988
"Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley
|"She's Like The Wind"|
|Single by Lumidee featuring Tony Sunshine|
|from the album Unexpected|
|Released||April 3, 2007|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B|
|Producer(s)||J. Marty, T.C. Love|
"She's Like the Wind" is a cover recorded by American recording artists Lumidee and Tony Sunshine for Lumidee's second album, Unexpected (2007). It was released as the lead single from Unexpected in the U.S. and Europe on April 3, 2007.
According to Lumidee, the idea to record a remake of Patrick Swayze's 1987 song "She's Like The Wind" was inspired by her European label when she recommended a collaboration with fellow New York recording artist Tony Sunshine. She also said, "We'd been talking about working together but hadn't been able to. But he loved the idea of doing something with this song."
- "She's Like The Wind (Radio Edit)" - 4:17
- "She's Like The Wind (Spanglish Version)" - 3:53
- "She's Like The Wind (Instrumental)" - 4:18
- "She's Like The Wind (A Capella)" - 4:15
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||14|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||22|
|US Billboard Hot 100||43|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||18|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||75|
- The song was later covered by Vibekingz featuring Maliq, Phonekillaz, and Patrick Nuo, and in 2007 by Lumidee featuring Tony Sunshine, released on Lumidee's album Unexpected.
- The Vibekingz version reached #2 on Germany's pop charts in 2006, and stayed in the top ten for two months. The version by Lumidee received widespread airplay in the United States, reaching the top 20. Tony Sunshine sings the original part by Swayze, while Lumidee raps with original verses related to the theme of the song.
- A mashup song and video of "She's Like the Wind" with "Minimal" by Pet Shop Boys has been a featured video on YouTube.
- Girls Aloud covered "She's Like the Wind" in the Dirty Dancing Medley on their The Sound of Girls Aloud: The Greatest Hits Tour, it was Kimberley Walsh's solo.
- Ultrabeat covered the song on their 2008 album, Discolights: The Album.
- Jan Wayne covered it on his album Back Again.
- Performed as a tribute to Patrick Swayze on Season 9 Dancing with the Stars Result Show by Dmitry Chaplin and Chelsie Hightower.
- John Sage covered the song as a single release in 2013.
- Boston artist Michael Spaulding also covered the song for his new album released in 2013.
- The song is briefly used in a scene of the 2009 movie (500) Days of Summer.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 238.
- "She's Like the Wind", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- German Singles Chart Charts-surfer.de (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- South African Singles Chart  (Retrieved 4 December 2013)
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- Billboard allmusic.com (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- (Posted: March 26, 2007) Elena del Valle, Puerto Rican singer Lumidee launches second album in April 2007 hispanicmpr.com. Poyeen Publishing. Retrieved 10-31-2010.
- (Posted: March 24, 2007) Gail Mitchell, "R&B singer Lumidee rejects one-hit-wonder tag" reuters.com. Retrieved 1-31-2010.
- Lumidee, "She's Like The Wind" (Feat. Tony Sunshine) - Music videos BET.com. Retrieved 10-31-10.
- "Ultratop.be – Lumidee feat. Tony Sunshine – She's Like The Wind" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Lumidee feat. Tony Sunshine – She's Like The Wind" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Danishcharts.com – Lumidee feat. Tony Sunshine – She's Like The Wind". Tracklisten.
- "Lumidee Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Lumidee.
- "Lumidee Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Lumidee.
- "Lumidee Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Lumidee.