She's a Lady
|"She's a Lady"|
|Single by Tom Jones|
|from the album Tom Jones Sings She's a Lady|
|Label||Decca Records (UK)|
|Tom Jones UK chronology|
"She's a Lady" is a song written by Paul Anka and performed by Tom Jones, and released in 1971. In the United States (released by London imprint Parrot Records), it is Jones' highest-charting single to date peaking at #2 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and #4 on the US Billboard Easy Listening chart. In Canada, the single reached #1 on the RPM 100 national singles chart.
Paul Anka's recording of the song was released on his album Paul Anka '70s (RCA 4309, 1970) The song was re-released in 2013 on Paul Anka's " Duets" CD featuring a new rendition featuring Paul Anka & Tom Jones.
Lead guitar on the track was played by Led Zeppelin guitarist, Jimmy Page, a noted session musician even before his work with Led Zeppelin. The recording was produced by Gordon Mills, with music arrangements by Johnnie Spence.
- Between 1972 and 1974, this song was covered by Singapore-based female singer Ervinna, backing music by the Charlie & His Boys, on her LP album Golden Hits Of 20th Century Vol. 6 with White Cloud Record of Singapore.
- The song was covered in 1978 by Filipino singer Sam Sorono (1950–2008) on his Sings Tom Jones' Greatest Hits LP album with EMI Records.
- In 1998, covered version by Chinese Singer, Jacky Cheung.
- The song was covered in 2000 by Funkstar De Luxe in his Studio Album Keep on Moving (It's Too Funky in Here).
- The song was covered in 2001 by Hong Kong singer Sammi Cheng in her Cantonese Studio Album Shocking Pink.
- The song was covered and released as a single in 2007 by Dutch singer Jeroen van der Boom.
- The song was covered by Ali Campbell (ex UB 40) and Shaggy in 2009, on the album Flying High.
- The song was covered by the Hungarian metal band Superbutt in 2011, released on their album Music For Animals
Appearances in other media
- 1973 film That Man Bolt. Sung by Samantha Nightingale (Teresa Graves) in a Nightclub sequence.
- 1995 film To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar. "She's a Lady" was re-released in Europe in 1995. The single included remixes by American DJ Junior Vasquez.
- 1993 film Wilder Napalm.
- 1996 film Bound.
- 1998 film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- 1998 film Così ridevano.
- 1999 film Agnes Browne.
- 2003 film Bend It Like Beckham.
- In the film Flushed Away, Roddy sings this song to Rita's mouse family for her grandmother thinks he's Tom Jones.
- In The Wild Thornberrys Movie as Darwin dresses as a girl to trick the girls so they will not find out he's a chimpanzee.
- On the soundtrack to the 2000 film Miss Congeniality.
- The song was also used in the intro of Tyler Perry's 2009 film Madea Goes to Jail.
- The song was featured in the 2003 episode of Futurama "Bend Her".
- The song was used in the 2009 Trop50 orange juice commercial featuring Kyra Sedgwick.
- The song is also used in TV spots for the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances.
- In Season 4 of the American Dancing With the Stars, Laila Ali & Maksim Chmerkovskiy danced a Cha-Cha-Cha to this song in week 9 of competition.
- In Season 14 of the American Dancing With the Stars, Katherine Jenkins, Mark Ballas & Tristan MacManus danced a Cha-Cha-Cha to this song in week 8 of competition.
- In the last ever edition of The Weakest Link, at the end of the episode, a montage of Weakest Link moments were shown while "She's a Lady" was playing while the clips were being shown.
- This song is currently the introduction for Kate Voegele on her 'Lift Me Up' tour.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 131.
- List of RPM number-one singles of 1971
"Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted" by The Partridge Family
|Canadian RPM 100 number-one single
April 3, 1971 (one week)
"Stay Awhile" by The Bells
|This 1970s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|