She Knows Y'Know
|She Knows Y'know|
|Directed by||Montgomery Tully|
|Produced by||Maurice J. Wilson|
|Written by||Montgomery Tully
Maurice J. Wilson
|Based on||play by Kate Sullivan|
|Music by||Ken Thorne|
|Edited by||Maurice Rootes|
|Distributed by||Grand National Pictures (UK)|
|Release date(s)||June 1962 (UK)|
|Running time||72 minutes|
She knows Y' Know is a low budget black and white British comedy film starring Hylda Baker. The film takes its title from comedienne Hylda Baker's most famous catch-phrase. The BFI describes the film as a "low life comedy, unfolded against an industrial town backdrop".
In an article in the Blackpool Gazette Jacqui Morley writes about the film restoration by Eurwyn Jones, "Eurwyn sees Hylda's film "She Knows Y'Know" as one of the holy grails of British comedy. "We've lost so much over the years and I'm convinced many are still out there. You have to know where to look. (The actress) Jean Fergusson tried the BFI, but the film wasn't in good condition so I put feelers out as a past film collector and went, let us say, to see a man about a dog! I found the film in immaculate condition. Nobody had watched it for half a century. It was a really good feeling, and I couldn't wait to see it."
He negotiated use of the print, tracked down copyright holders to ensure it could be shared with fans across the world, and teamed up with Renown Pictures, who restore classic movies, putting the print through modern technology to present a crystal clear picture quality and sound. She Knows Y'Know is now out on DVD.
Eurwyn concludes: "Hylda was one of the funniest women ever. All those hours I've spent tracking down this early example of her talent have been worth it, and the digital transfer results are brilliant. The film shows she was not only a brilliant comedienne, but an actress of great note, too, which she later proved in films such as Up the Junction and Oliver!." "
The fates of two contrasting families become entwined in the 1950's, in the North of England. The Worswicks are a working class family led by dominating mother Hylda (Hylda Baker), husband Joe (Cyril Smith), with their academically bright but otherwise dull son Leslie (Peter Myers). Meanwhile, the Smallhopes are a family of the aspiring middle class, led by mother Euphemia (Joan Sanderson), husband Clarence (Neil Wilson) with an attractive blonde but temperamental daughter Marilyn (Linda Castle), whose sudden pregnancy is the catalyst for unfolding dramas involving both families.
- Hylda Worswick - Hylda Baker
- Joe Worswick - Cyril Smith
- Charlie Todger - Joe Gibbons
- Leslie Worswick - Peter Myers
- Terry Roy - Tim Connor
- Clarence Smallhope - Neil Wilson
- Mr. Fox - Alfred Burke
- John Dawson - Leonard Sachs
- Valerie - Patricia Shakesby
- Jenny Higginbottom - Lucy Griffiths
- Euphemia Smallhope - Joan Sanderson
- Marylyn Smallhope - Linda Castle
- TV Guide noted a "mindless sex comedy...Typical ribald British innuendoes abound." 
- Allmovie noted a "lively British sex farce." 
- "She Knows Y'Know [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Hylda Baker, Cyril Smith, Joe Gibbons, Montgomery Tully: DVD & Blu-ray". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "She Knows Y'know | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "He knows y’know...". Blackpool Gazette. 2011-09-22. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "She Knows, Y'know DVD | Classic Movies | Films by Movie Mail UK". Moviemail.com. 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "She Knows, Y'know". dvdgold. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "She Knows Y'Know Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "She Knows Y'Know (1962) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast". AllMovie. Retrieved 2014-03-15.