She Will Be Loved
|"She Will Be Loved"|
|Single by Maroon 5|
|from the album Songs About Jane|
|Released||July 27, 2004|
|Recorded||2002 in Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genre||Pop rock, soft rock|
|Writer(s)||Adam Levine, James Valentine|
|Maroon 5 singles chronology|
"She Will Be Loved" is the third single on the American band Maroon 5's 2002 debut album, Songs About Jane. Released in 2004, the single peaked at #5 in the United States, and by December 2012 had sold more than 2,722,000 digital downloads. It peaked at #4 in the United Kingdom. In Australia, it reached #1, a position it held for 5 non-consecutive weeks. The single is noted for its music video starring Kelly Preston.
The song proved as successful as the band's previous hits, "This Love" and "Harder to Breathe", hitting number 1 on the Mainstream Top 40 and Adult Top 40 charts, but it prompted many alternative radio outlets to remove Maroon 5 from their playlists, on the ground that the band's newer songs were too light for alt-rock audiences. These stations continued to play "Harder to Breathe" and "This Love", but Maroon 5's newer hits were played only on pop and adult contemporary stations.
The music video for "She Will Be Loved" features a socialite (Kelly Preston) and her rich, deadbeat, abusive husband, whose relationship is juxtaposed with that of their daughter's (Corinne Carrey) relationship with a young man (played by lead singer Adam Levine). The younger man, however, constantly obsesses over his girlfriend's mother, understanding that, although she is constantly rejected by her husband and that her life is one of emotional anxiety, she is nonetheless beautiful and attractive, and possibly more so than his own girlfriend.
That summer, the young couple (played by Adam Levine and Corinne Carrey), so in love, jump into the pool, and embrace, kissing underwater. The young man then resurfaces and sees the socialite mother (played by Kelly Preston) who, helping her daughter dry up after swimming, glances at the young man, who remains captivated upon finding the mother beautiful and attractive. That same day, during one of the social events, the mother goes to her husband for affection, only to be ignored by him. Meanwhile, as their daughter fonds over her boyfriend, the young man shows sympathy for the mother, understanding how unhappy and unloved she is during her marriage. As the mother sits by her husband, she notices the young man fonding over her and envies the attention her daughter gets from her romance with the young man. Not being able to gain attention from her husband, she then gyrates seductively as the male guests (played by the Maroon 5 band members) look on. The husband then notices the male guests gleefully react toward his wife while they reciprocate her need for attention which she gains during her flirtatious and attentive behavior toward the male guests and leaves in embarrassment.
Eventually, the husband abuses the mother physically and emotionally, for embarrassing him in front of the guests earlier. During the argument, the mother apologetically tries to make him understand that the reason for her behavior earlier was, because he ignored her needs of love and affection from him, she was hoping to make him jealous so that he would be more committed to her and their marriage after he'd witnessed the other gentlemen paying attention to her and begs for his forgiveness, but her husband instead, rejects her apology, smears her lipstick, and slaps her across the face, much to her dismay. Heartbroken, the mother walks away from her husband and goes inside one of the rooms, only to succumb to her trauma and pass out.
Later that night, the young man walks down the stairs into one of the rooms and finds the mother unconscious. Concerned for her safety and well-being, Levine goes to revive her and discovers that she's suffered abuse, upon seeing her lipstick smeared across her face. Recuperating from having been rejected and abused by her husband and seeing how much the young man cares about her, the mother awakens and turns to Levine for comfort as they kiss passionately.
After the events of the kiss, the young man appears to become obsessed, parking outside a building one day to watch the mother and her daughter shopping together. The mother also appears to become obsessed, parking outside the couple's house one night to watch him. Throughout the video, he sees the woman's face in place of her daughter's, which increases the romantic tension among the quartet. It's assumed Levine's singing about the daughter and her feelings toward him, however, Levine's also singing about the mother and his feelings of sympathy towards her.
At the end of the video, after still gaining no romantic attention from her husband, seeing how in love the young couple are, and realizing that her husband will never again love her like when they were once like the young couple, the mother is overcome with emotion and walks away as the young man looks on concerned. As the mother isolates herself further from the group, her husband looks at her once but remains apathetic toward his wife and goes back to reading his newspaper like nothings happened. Levine follows after her and, in her act of denial and self-sacrifice, the mother argues with Levine and tries to reject him as he attempts to save her from her emotional heartache. Witnessing the brief incident from afar, the daughter shows concern for her mother and follows after them. While Levine comforts the mother during her misery, she calms down and they embrace, nearly kissing. It's shown in flashbacks that her daughter actually caught them kissing the first time, and is now aware the unconditional love still exists between her boyfriend and her mother.
Charts and certifications
- Paul Grein (December 5, 2012). "Week Ending Dec. 2, 2012. Songs: will & Brit". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music).
- "Australian-charts.com – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Maroon 5.
- "Lescharts.com – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.
- "Italiancharts.com – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Top Digital Download.
- "Mexico Airplay". May 5, 2012. Archived from the original on April 19, 2012.
- "Charts.org.nz – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Top 40 Singles.
- "Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Maroon 5.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Maroon 5.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Maroon 5.
- "Maroon 5 Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Maroon 5.
- "Pop Rock". Record Report. November 13, 2004. Archived from the original on November 13, 2004.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: February 12, 2012 to February 18, 2012)". Gaon Chart. January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2004 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian single certifications – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Music Canada.
- "British single certifications – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". British Phonographic Industry. Enter She Will Be Loved in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American single certifications – Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts". Retrieved May 4, 2013.