|Look up shearer in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A shearer is someone who shears, such as a cloth shearer, or a sheep shearer. Origins of the name include from near Bergen in Norway 1600's [Sweden of that period] as 'Skea' [pronounced Skeg meaning beard] and Heddle [meaning market place] as migrated to The Orkney Islands where the name 'Shearer' is found in Church marriage records of the time and as quite prolific for the overall population. Members of those family Shearer migrated to Australia and New Zealand in the 19th century and represents the highest concentration of nation for the name globally
Additionally, Shearer is a surname:
- Alan Shearer (born 1970), English footballer
- Bob Shearer (born 1948), Australian professional golfer and golf course architect
- Bobby Shearer (1931–2006), Scottish footballer
- Dale Shearer (born 1965), Australian rugby league player
- Dave Shearer (born 1958), Scottish footballer
- Duncan Shearer (born 1962), Scottish footballer
- Rob Shearer (born 1976), Canadian ice hockey player
- Sam Shearer (born 1883), Scottish footballer
- Scott Shearer (born 1981), Scottish footballer.
In politics and religion
- David Shearer (born 1957), New Zealand Leader of the Opposition and UN Deputy Special Representative to Iraq
- Hugh Shearer (1923-2004), Jamaican Prime Minister.
- Robert Austin Shearer (1868 - 1920), Ontario farmer and political figure
- David Shearer (1832-1891), founder of The Presbyterian Church of Western Australia
- Athole Shearer, a Canadian actress
- Christopher Shearer, an American artist
- Harry Shearer, an American actor and comedian
- Moira Shearer, a Scottish actress and dancer
- Norma Shearer, a Canadian actress
- Paul Shearer, a British actor
- Ariel Shearer, an Australian renowned concert pianist
- Aaron Shearer, an American renowned classic guitarist and teacher
- Sybil Shearer, a Canadian modern dancer, writer, choreographer
- Douglas Shearer, an American engineer
- Jesse Lowen Shearer, an American engineer
- David and John Shearer, famous Australian inventors, engineers and pioneers of agriculture and automotive, David also a renowned astronomer and phrenologist, unitarian and pioneer of workers benefits
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Shearer.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.