|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Education||Master's Degree in Psychology|
|Title(s)||Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012 (resigned)|
|Miss USA 2012|
Miss USA 2012 Controversy
In June 2012, Monnin said that another contestant, Miss Florida USA, saw the names of the top five on a telecast paper in the same order in which they were called out. That contestant, Karina Brez, later said she had made her comment jokingly. Brez went on to then say that she made the whole thing up, changing her story more than once. Monnin stepped down when what she said were those same contestants were named to the Top 5. Immediately following Monnin's resignation, The Trump Organization publicly refuted Monnin's allegations. Following television appearances by Trump, and an interview with his attorney, Monnin appeared on the Today Show to give an interview with Ann Curry explaining her position.
In response to Monnin's Facebook explanation of her resignation, the pageant organizers initiated an arbitration proceeding against Monnin for defamation. On December 30, 2012, an arbitrator ruled that she must pay the pageant organization $5 million for defamation, which was affirmed by the district court. Monnin refused to renounce her claims.
On July 2, 2013 federal Judge J. Paul Oetken upheld the decision that Monnin must pay Donald Trump and the Miss USA pageant (for calling the pageant "fraudulent") even as the ruling stated, "The court does not take lightly that Monnin is compelled to pay . . . a devastating monetary award."
- "Sheena Monnin - Miss Pennsylvania". NBC.com: "Miss USA". Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- "Miss Pennsylvania USA Sheena Monnin Claims Pageant Rigged". Associated Press via CBS This Morning. June 6, 2012. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- "Beauty pageant wins $5 million over contestant's rigging claim". Reuters. December 18, 2012. Archived from the original on December 18, 2012. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Sheena Monnin 'shocked' at order to pay Donald Trump's Organization $5m".
- Miss Universe L.P., LLLP. v. Monnin, 2013 WL 3328241 (S.D.N.Y. July 2, 2013), http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2012cv09174/405643/25/
- Kantor, Ira (June 7, 2012). "New Miss USA Sympathizes with Rebel Miss Pennsylvania". Boston Herald. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- Hyman, Vicki (June 6, 2012). "Sheena Monnin Claims Miss USA Fixed, Turns in Miss Pennsylvania Tiara". The Star-Ledger (Newark, New Jersey). Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- "Court to beauty queen: Pay Trump $5M for defamation". NY Post. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Former Miss Pennsylvania: 'I Want the Truth'". Today video excerpt via GlobalBeauties.com. June 8, 2012. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
|Miss Pennsylvania USA