Sheffield to Lincoln Line
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
|Sheffield to Lincoln Line|
Kiveton Bridge station
Yorkshire and the Humber
East Midlands Trains
|Rolling stock||Class 142 "Pacer"
Class 144 "Pacer"
Class 153 "Sprinter"
|No. of tracks||Two|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Sheffield to Lincoln Line is a railway line in England. It runs from Sheffield east to Lincoln via Worksop, Retford and Gainsborough Lea Road. The route comprises the main line of the former Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, to Gainsborough, Trent Junction, where it then follows the former Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint Line to Lincoln Central. The former main line continues from Trent Junction to Wrawby Junction, Barnetby, much of it now single line, where it then runs to Cleethorpes. This is currently served by six trains (three each way) on Saturdays only.
The cities, towns and villages served by the route are listed below.
- Kiveton Bridge
- Kiveton Park
- connections with Worksop–Nottingham Line
- connections with ECML services at Retford
- former main line continues forward from Trent Junction, just prior to reaching Gainsborough Central to Cleethorpes.
- Gainsborough Lea Road
- connections with Doncaster–Lincoln Line
- Lincoln Central
Former MS&LR (later GCR) main line to Grimsby
- Gainsborough Central
- Kirton Lindsey
- connections with Barton on Humber–Cleethorpes Line
- Grimsby Town
Types of train
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2012)|
The line is operated by Northern Rail, who mainly utilise Class 142 and Class 144 sets (though Class 153 single railcars can also appear). From Gainsborough Trent Junction (where the line from Doncaster joins) eastwards to Lincoln, class 153 and Class 156 units operated by East Midlands Trains share the route. The Brigg route is also used by freight traffic between Immingham docks and the power stations at West Burton, Cottam (after reversing in Worksop sidings) and West Yorkshire & the East Midlands.
- Northern Rail Timetable 32, Sheffield to Lincoln 19 May - 7 December 2013 Northern Rail website; Retrieved 5 September 2013
- Railscot - Photographs of Lincoln www.railbrit.co.uk; Retrieved 5 September 2013